How does Chucky stack up against Bradley & Dobras?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

h3.jpg

Yes, #12 is up there. But as far as his career at USF, did he really merit such a claim to fame?

PH2006011801569.jpg

Help me out. In my mind, Chucky was good, yes, but not retired-number good...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,185
  • Days Won:  1

Now I dont know much about Dobras and Bradley, but has either one of them had a long-tenured career in the NBA like Atkins?  If that is true, maybe thats the reason why.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I was at the game where Chucky's number was retired (UAB in 2001 I believe). It might have had the force of his NBA success, he had just broken in with the Magic and was traded to the Pistons.

I didn't follow USF before 2000, so I'm not really sure other than reading stuff. Apparently he was a solid player.

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Chuck belongs up there.  I'll never forget going to see Chucky play when he was a senior in high school.  His team, Orlando Evans was playing at King High.  Chucky had already signed in the early signing period with us.  According to the papers, no one else was really pursuing him so many fans thought he wasn't all that good (Imagine that...fan skepticism even before anyone sees him play).  Anyhow, the game was in the afternoon which was perfect because the Bulls had a game that night in the Dome.  A bunch of us old diehards went to King to see Chucky play.  When we realized who he was, one of the guys commented, "Oh crap, he looks like he is 14 years old."  He was so slender and so short and so baby faced.  Then the game started.

Needless to say, Chucky made a believer out of me.  I was thoroughly convinced when King went to a half court trapping press and Chucky zinged a no look pass from behind the half court line to a teammate under the basket for a layin.  I said, "OKay, the kid can play."  Bottom line is that Chucky made every one around him better.  Bradley was a scorer pure and simple.  If he was dribbling toward the goal, he was going to shoot.  Period.  You cannot compare Bradley's stats with Chucky's for that reason alone.  In Radenko's case, look at the talent around him.  Chucky didn't have the luxury of being able to dump it to a Shahid or an Alexander inside and he didn't have Derrick Sharp or Bobby Russell to kick it out to.  But still, he made the guys around him better.

Don't knock the Chuckster.  He kept the program viable and NIT worthy in the post-Dobras/Lewis/Alexander/Russell years.  He took the team on his back on many occasions and carried them to victories we probably shouldn't have won.  He was a PLAYA. Forget the NBA farce.  Chucky hangs because Chucky deserves to hang.

Normal

• Content Count:  549

I was at USF for his senior year, and went to most home games, and he was it.  It was a one-man show, and not because nobody else on the team could play, but because he was that good.

IIRC, he was an all-american that year.  We knew he was easily one of the best in the country, but nobody outside of CUSA knew it.

Chucky was(and still is) the real deal.  He was under 6 feet and did it all.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Chuck belongs up there.  I'll never forget going to see Chucky play when he was a senior in high school.  His team, Orlando Evans was playing at King High.  Chucky had already signed in the early signing period with us.  According to the papers, no one else was really pursuing him so many fans thought he wasn't all that good (Imagine that...fan skepticism even before anyone sees him play).  Anyhow, the game was in the afternoon which was perfect because the Bulls had a game that night in the Dome.  A bunch of us old diehards went to King to see Chucky play.  When we realized who he was, one of the guys commented, "Oh crap, he looks like he is 14 years old."  He was so slender and so short and so baby faced.  Then the game started.

Needless to say, Chucky made a believer out of me.  I was thoroughly convinced when King went to a half court trapping press and Chucky zinged a no look pass from behind the half court line to a teammate under the basket for a layin.  I said, "OKay, the kid can play."  Bottom line is that Chucky made every one around him better.  Bradley was a scorer pure and simple.  If he was dribbling toward the goal, he was going to shoot.  Period.  You cannot compare Bradley's stats with Chucky's for that reason alone.  In Radenko's case, look at the talent around him.  Chucky didn't have the luxury of being able to dump it to a Shahid or an Alexander inside and he didn't have Derrick Sharp or Bobby Russell to kick it out to.  But still, he made the guys around him better.

Don't knock the Chuckster.  He kept the program viable and NIT worthy in the post-Dobras/Lewis/Alexander/Russell years.  He took the team on his back on many occasions and carried them to victories we probably shouldn't have won.  He was a PLAYA. Forget the NBA farce.  Chucky hangs because Chucky deserves to hang.

Normal

I thought Sharp played with Chucky, no??

• Content Count:  1,911

Chucky without a doubt deserves to be up there.  

Hopefully Heath will get us a few more player jerseys up there too, while building a team so we can pull down those NIT eye soar banners and replace them with pretty NCAA banners.  

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

What's an "eye soar"?

• Content Count:  549

What's an "eye soar"?

flying_eye.gif

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

After further review, Chucky did play with Derrick Sharp for one year.  Sharp led the team in scoring and Chucky led in assists.    

Archived