Rutgers VS USF rivalry???

Bull Matrix

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

I want to get some thoughts on a possible rivalry with Rutgers. I remember when we were invited to the BIGEAST in that Rutger fans wanted to become rivals with USF. At the time, some USF fans laughed at that notion because Rutgers was not well respected for being so bad. Now, I think there cane be a nice healthy rivalry with Rutgers with the sucess and media attention that they now have. I honestly cant wait until we play them this season on the football field. What are your thoughts on this??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest r_to_the_izzo

I think we will build solid "rivalries" with all of our fellow Big East teams, especially in football. I dont think it will grow into a FSU/UF thing, IMO the best potential for that is USF/UL, especially after we ***** slap them again this year.

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

Bring it on...all games are rivalries!  If RU wants it, we can BRING IT!!!

Personally, I'd rather see our rivalry with UofL explode this coming season.

GO BULLS!!!

I think this RUvsUSF rivalry has some legs with all the billboards up about the Rutgers program. Also, I notice that smazza hates Rutgers with a passion which makes this game more interesting. If both USF and Rutgers keep winning then a rivalry will be born in my opinion.

• Content Count:  1,260

Unfortunately, UL doesn't consider us a rival as much as they consider WVU their rival. A great rivalry is when both teams have that date circled as a matter of personal honor.

Having gone to USF in undergrad and RU later, I can say that the potential is there with a victory by us this year. (There's only a rivalry when both sides are capable of winning...) Educated Rutgers fans are well aware of who we are and already consider that game a battle that could go either way. Both programs are in similar boats...one being resurrected from nothing...the other being created from nothing. Both schools have been dubbed up an coming programs with young talented coaches, and both fan bases are just itching to be recognized. Their closest thing to geographical rivalries are Uconn or Syracuse...but talent wise neither is likely to mean anything within the conference or nationally. The RU-USF game could actually give a school the inside track to winning the conference as soon as this year. If the teams keep winning and the stakes on the game are consistently high...I don't think it would be a stretch to say that this could be THE rivalry for both schools within the conference.

One thing that could benefit our school is that they're location dictates them to be a natural media darling. If our games MEAN something every year...it could be great exposure.

This thing with the UL rivalry is kind of crazy. I personally think that this rivalry will happen much later down the road because UL has helped USF in the political field. UL's AD, Tom Jurich, pretty much sold USF to the BIG EAST in my opinion. He didnt have to do that, but he did help USF get into the BIG EAST. For that, I have become a big UL fan unless they play against USF. Cincy gave the same support for USF during this process as well, so I will always have a place in my heart for both those schools.

• Content Count:  10,219

just win

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

strange that you would say that Rutgers was so bad when they were saying exactly the same thing about us when we joined the BE. The fans on their message boards that is-- Rutgers fans and Syracuse fans did it-- they said we were a bad addition for football and hoops

I was a little surprised they would say that, but being uninformed is easier than it looks

Rivalries are rivalries in every sport... not just football.

The classic rivalries happen in tennis and volleyball and soccer and softball... it runs way deeper than a single sport.

USF has no true rivalries in this sense.... because none of our opponents see USF as the the one they have to beat every year.  It may happen with RU ... as they don't have any true rivalries either.

But it will take a generation to build up.

And to add to this rivalry theory with Rutgers, I remember seeing too many fights between Rutger and USF fans after the game. As a USF fan, I was embarrased that there were some USF fans acting classless after the game. Sure, those Rutger fans were asking for it by taunting some of the USF fans after the game, but there is still no excuses for getting into a fight in the parking lot after the game just because we lost a close big game.

Archived