Our University

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

Hey everyone,

I pulled this off of an FSU message board and thought it was very interesting. http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1085&tid=93452472&mid=93452472&sid=1061&style=2

Basic Point:

"Sen. Steve Oelrich, R-Cross Creek, said Friday that he is working on a new measure that would let Florida, Florida State and South Florida raise their tuition over a period of time, in lieu of trying to seek approval for a $1,000-a-year academic enhancement fee for UF."

The rest of the thread discusses this possible proposal. I just thought I'd share it for those interested. I think it is really encouraging how we are being perceived as a university, and is a great sign of things to come if this passes. For those that might not know why this is a good thing, it clearly shows that we are being lumped in with UF and FSU as possible premiere flagship universities within Florida. I think this will be met with strong opposition from the other Uni's in the state, but who knows.

I want to know what you guys think. Not a day goes by lately without me being so proud to be a Bull!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  280

Not to reply to my own post  ;)...but this thread about the same topic specifically discusses USF..

http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1085&tid=93452463&mid=93452463&sid=1061&style=2

• Content Count:  3,574

The full article from The Gainesville Sun

UF may see tuition go up after all

LLOYD DUNKELBERGER

Sun Tallahassee Bureau

April 21. 2007 6:01AM

TALLAHASSEE - A proposal that would let the University of Florida raise its tuition may be revived.

Sen. Steve Oelrich, R-Cross Creek, said Friday that he is working on a new measure that would let Florida, Florida State and South Florida raise their tuition over a period of time, in lieu of trying to seek approval for a $1,000-a-year academic enhancement fee for UF.

Oelrich's proposal (SB 1710) will be heard Tuesday by the Senate Higher Education Appropriations Committee.

By changing the proposal from a UF-only academic fee to a broader, more flexible plan, Oelrich secured a hearing for his bill from Sen. Evelyn Lynn, R-Ormond Beach, chair of the higher education budget panel. Lynn had previously said she didn't want to hear his bill since it was not likely to pass her committee.

Lynn said the details of Oelrich's new proposal haven't been finalized, but she said: "We are trying to take a different approach.''

But Lynn said she couldn't say whether the new plan has any better chance of passage than Oelrich's original academic fee measure.

Oelrich said he is still negotiating the details of his new plan. But he said the goal would be to allow research-oriented universities like UF and FSU to gradually raise their tuitions over a number of years, with an ultimate cap in the range of 40 percent. The tuition decisions would be made by the universities' boards of trustees rather than the Legislature.

He also said he was working to make sure the new proposal could be accommodated by the Bright Futures scholarship program and pre-paid tuition plan.

But even if Oelrich can win approval for his revised bill next week, the proposal still faces difficult odds in the last weeks of this year's legislative session.

A UF academic fee bill is moving through the House and has the backing of Speaker Marco Rubio, R-West Miami, a UF graduate. The bill has been modified so that the fee wouldn't take effect until 2012 and is crafted so that prepaid tuition contracts would not be affected.

However, Gov. Charlie Crist has indicated he is opposed to increasing the cost of going to college, whether it be a fee or a tuition increase.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/LOCAL/704210368/-1/news

• Content Count:  3,185
  • Days Won:  1

Am I lost???  Why are they only chargin 3 universites more to fund one schools increase in funds?  In my mind it should either be all State schools or just the one in question (UF)

• Content Count:  3,574

Am I lost???  Why are they only chargin 3 universites more to fund one schools increase in funds?  In my mind it should either be all State schools or just the one in question (UF)

This goes back to them trying to classify the state schools in different tiers, thus having UF, FSU, and USF in the top tier.

It's kind of like paying more for better resources and having UF add another $1000 on top of the proposed tuition.

If anything, this just shows how USF is viewed in the state, which is a good thing.

• Content Count:  5,903

tuition is too low

• Content Count:  9,038

OCS...OCS...OCS

• Content Count:  2,726

OCS...OCS...OCS

LMFAO

;D

• Content Count:  928

Those 'Noles brought a a good point. USF's campus is BLAH! There are no significant land marks except the water tower - there isn't even any statues or anything except at the stegnant MLK plaza that gets turned on once a year...can we at least get a big bull somewhere? The first time I went looking for the USF campus as a visitor, I had to look really hard to see that we were in in "bulls country." I was more intersted in the MOSI, and nearly drove past the enterance.

The area around fowler lacks a college feel. People like me are partly to blame too, I drive from town and country to school, go to my classes then I'm out of there. But on the other hand, why reason do I have to stay? very few people are throwing a frisbee and no one lays out on our lawns...(I know, I know - be the solution instead of the problem.)

We have a great library...on the inside. From the outside it looks like some prison.

Okay, this is turning into a serious rant....all I'm saying is the campus needs a face lift. It's too late to have to old glorious buildings of the 1800's so it's time to build state of the art.

• Content Count:  928

127974479_c5f737bc10.jpg?v=0

It's just like the rest of Tampa. A series of expansions that are ugly and out-dated in 20 years

Archived