until usf football changes to pro style offense

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

I could have swore we had a few running backs last year.  Not sure, i may have to double check that.

Have you had time to double check that yet?  If you have, perhaps you'd notice that we had injuries and a suspension.  Those factors led to Grothe taking most of the rushing snaps.  It wasn't the style of the offense, it was the player situation.

I'm always amazed by the selective memory on this board.

Maybe Im crazy but you would think in division I football, the 4th string running back would be an adequate runner and would get more reps than the star QB, no matter what the player situation.  Unless the rb depth wasnt up to par of course.  

Who is LGclass00?   I appreciate having fans and admirers.  nice to see you are my #1 fan.  i never even heard or read one of your post.  You seem to know a lot about me.   ;D ;D ;D

very cute, im flattered.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,493
  • Days Won:  1

usf will not compete for state's best players

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

• Content Count:  2

usfgrad84, I agree with you in that you don't need the Grade A talent to compete or win.  The correlation of Smazza's post did imply you need it to win thats why I said to an extent.  We just have to prove year in and year out that our offense can keep up with the D.  Grothe is the perfect QB for this offense when things break down, he's a much better passer than most run threat QB's.  Last year we had some trouble on 3rd and short to medium situations and I'm hoping Ford can assist in this category, maybe even R.Kelly(aka...bruiser) in time. This year is going to be exciting, can't wait.....

• Content Count:  549

...hope Sammy Sosa beats your ass.

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

We will continue to get better and better players.  We may not attract a prototypical 6'4" 215 lb drop back, pocket passer.  Not because we can't, but because we really don't recruit players like that for our system.  We recruit players that fit our system.

With a QB like Grothe who uses a lot of different receivers, it gives a receiver a chance for not only playing time, but touches.  If the offense plays to their potential this year witha solid running game, a QB that can throw and run and receivers that hold on to the ball, this can be an exciting explosive offense that will attract the top players.

I am not really sure what a pro style offense has to do with attracting  top defensive players.  You have a grat defensive coaching staff that has already put several players into the NFL.  The athletes we have been recruiting are getting better  We are now on the map after this year we should be pretty well recognized.  That is what will attract the best players.

It's all coming together.  

yeah usf doesnt want nfl type players because they dont fit our system

that is my point

usf is in tampa and nfl town

usf will never attract fans outside the fan base with the gimmick offense we run

a school that attracts top nfl prospects on offense will also attract top defensive nfl prospects

usf has chosen to develop a program using gimmicks so usf must find nitch players that can play our offense

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We will continue to get better and better players.  We may not attract a prototypical 6'4" 215 lb drop back, pocket passer.  Not because we can't, but because we really don't recruit players like that for our system.  We recruit players that fit our system.

With a QB like Grothe who uses a lot of different receivers, it gives a receiver a chance for not only playing time, but touches.  If the offense plays to their potential this year witha solid running game, a QB that can throw and run and receivers that hold on to the ball, this can be an exciting explosive offense that will attract the top players.

I am not really sure what a pro style offense has to do with attracting  top defensive players.  You have a grat defensive coaching staff that has already put several players into the NFL.  The athletes we have been recruiting are getting better  We are now on the map after this year we should be pretty well recognized.  That is what will attract the best players.

It's all coming together.  

yeah usf doesnt want nfl type players because they dont fit our system

that is my point

usf is in tampa and nfl town

usf will never attract fans outside the fan base with the gimmick offense we run

a school that attracts top nfl prospects on offense will also attract top defensive nfl prospects

usf has chosen to develop a program using gimmicks so usf must find nitch players that can play our offense

You can and will be able to recruit NFL caliber athletes as we grow, but the reality is that they need to be able to perform within this system.  Brian Brohm would have been killed in this system.  If Weatherford would have come here, perhaps you change the system and build it around him.  We landed Hill and Grothe so the offense was built around their strengths.  

I don't know what you are talking about.  Under Vince Young, Texas seemed to continue to draw pretty good crowds under Vince Young.  Your comparisons are far reaching.  It's not the system, it's drawing on tradition and a winning tradition.   You don't seem to understand what it takes to build a team or any type of organzization for that matter.  We don't have the luxury of 100 years of experience, we are building a winning, competitive team on the fly.  What has been done here has been truly amazing.  You don't wake up one day and say 'hey were are now D1, BCS we should be sold out every game".

If you know anything at all about college football history, in the early days of building the great Alabama teams in the early sixties, they said the same thing about "gimmick" offenses about Bear Bryant's teams.  I am not trying to compare us to Alabama, but I am saying that you have to work with the resources you have available to you while you are building those teams.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

I stopped eating bologna.

What about Spam?

Only if I move to Hawaii

:-/

For some reason, spam is very popular in Hawaii.

• Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

I could have swore we had a few running backs last year.  Not sure, i may have to double check that.

Have you had time to double check that yet?  If you have, perhaps you'd notice that we had injuries and a suspension.  Those factors led to Grothe taking most of the rushing snaps.  It wasn't the style of the offense, it was the player situation.

I'm always amazed by the selective memory on this board.

Maybe Im crazy but you would think in division I football, the 4th string running back would be an adequate runner and would get more reps than the star QB, no matter what the player situation.  Unless the rb depth wasnt up to par of course.  

Who is LGclass00?   I appreciate having fans and admirers.  nice to see you are my #1 fan.  i never even heard or read one of your post.  You seem to know a lot about me.   ;D ;D ;D

very cute, im flattered.

on the contrary...i promise i am neither a fan or an admirer.  i read everyones posts on here, not just yours.  ive just read enough of you and smazzas "i love you" posts to each other on here to be able to read between the lines.

• Content Count:  549

Bottom line is winning will draw everyone.  Players, fans, media.  Nothing matters more than winning.

Watch the jump in attention from 5* athletes next year after beating Auburn on the road... :o

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Bottom line is winning will draw everyone.  Players, fans, media.  Nothing matters more than winning.

Watch the jump in attention from 5* athletes next year after beating Auburn on the road... :o

And SMASHING L'ville's hopes ...  at Home . . . aaaaagain  8-)

Archived