The Oracle on Mike Ford

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.usforacle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=88788317-b853-4591-8d2e-c07e90aa008a

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopes on Mike Ford running high

By: Charles Gonzalez | COLUMNIST

Posted: 4/17/07

Could it be the heir apparent to Andre Hall was just one year away?

After an impressive showing in Saturday's Spring Game, Mike Ford showed flashes of becoming the go-to back that Hall was. Ford finished the game with 55 yards on eight carries and one touchdown.

Now, I understand there is only so much that can be taken away from a glorified scrimmage, but Ford's first impression gives USF fans something to be excited about. He showed power, speed and change of direction - all the skills Hall was famous for.

After the Bulls had a patchwork situation at the running back position last season, Ford has what it takes to be the starter when the season begins. His 6-foot-2, 210-pound frame makes him durable to carry the ball 15 or 20 times per game.

A solid running game is something the Bulls offense desperately needs to keep sophomore quarterback Matt Grothe healthy. Grothe took too many unnecessary hits last season running the ball and will need to hand the ball off more this season.

That's where Ford comes into play.

Ford is the type of running back that can be a 100-yard threat in every game, which gives the Bulls another threat to go with Grothe. Ford also seemed to get stronger with every carry during the Spring Game and coach Jim Leavitt wants a running back that can eat up time late in a game.

Leavitt's Ford impressed him after the Spring Game, which is hard to do. Leavitt rarely shows approval - especially with incoming players - but had plenty to say about Ford.

"He's had a real good last two weeks, and I think he's starting to run with more confidence," Leavitt said Saturday. "You saw what could happen if the lights turned on. He's only going to get better. If he grabs ahold … he could be that good. There are signs there that show that."

Ford's best run of the Spring Game set up the only touchdown for the Green Team, a four-yard touchdown run by Ford. Ford ran 26 yards, showing his cutback ability and his 4.5 speed in breaking away from potential defenders.

It was what Ford did at the end of the run that drew cheers from the crowd. Ford didn't run out of bounds as Louis Gachette pursued him - he lowered his shoulder and lowered the boom on Gachette.

That kind of attitude running the ball is what this offense needs to compete for a Big East championship. Ford is just another piece of the puzzle as the Bulls look to become a serious contender in their third season in a BCS conference.

Ford has to be the front-runner to start at running back in what has become a deep position. With an equally impressive showing by Aston Samuels (14 carries, 58 yards) and Shawn Cannon (eight carries, 47 yards), Ford definitely has competition for the starting position.

The battle, however, is Ford's to lose and it doesn't look like he's ready to take a seat after having to wait a year and a half to get back on the field. Grothe should get used to handing the ball off to Ford and doing it quite often.

• Content Count:  385

a. ford is not in the top spot yet...theres a lot of practice to be had

b. he's not amazing yet...I'll save that until I see in the games

c.  Let's not forget about all the other talented backs we have....I'm not tryong to "poo-poo" on ford, but we are getting all excited about someone who did well in high school and did well(not great) at a scrimmage.  THere are plenty of players who did well in high school and sucked it up in college.  I'm just saying we need to respect thebacks that have proven themselves before we start counting them out because of someone who "should" be good.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

Can you name the PROVEN backs in our lineup? Please do not say Ponton or Williams. The only proven runner we have is Grothe.

• Content Count:  6,929

Can you name the PROVEN backs in our lineup? Please do not say Ponton or Williams. The only proven runner we have is Grothe.

You are CORRECT my friend!

• Content Count:  1,757

I'm just happy we had 3 backs (not including Ponton or Williams) with a 4 yard per carry average or better.  Those are the type of stats that WIN GAMES!  Ford will be great, but Samuels and Cannon showed that they can flat out FLY.  This should be a great year to be a Bull!  

• Content Count:  385

I agree with twilly, having backs is good.  I'm just trying to say that we have seen what Williams and Ponton(to a lesser extent) can do on the field in real games and we have yet to see Ford.  I hope he is the best **** running back in the country and from what I have read he **** well could be. I am just not going to go on about how great he is until he proves it

• Content Count:  339

Sure we've seen what Williams and Ponton can do in "real" games, but it wasn't particularly impressive.  I'm not saying they can't/won't get any better, but based on the running game that we had last year, it's not too early to get a little excited about having some new blood in the backfield.

• Content Count:  10,219

::)

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Ponton and Williams are going to have good years next year, just like Ponton had a good year in 05, all because of a great starting RB.

• Content Count:  937

i just want to see wins who the hell cares about anything else

Archived