Heath wants to play some games at the Fourm

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

We would have a good showing at the Forum. There would be more ads and such in the papers about it than a game at the Sun Dome during the winter break.

Maybe, maybe not.

There was a good turnout there for the wake game, but i don't believe it was a high turnout for USF fans.  FSU packed em in pretty well.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  478
  • Days Won:  0

We need a few there, especially now that we're hosting the first two rounds of the tourney next year.

I agree

I think about one or two a year would be good. It could grow into a thing. Channelside businesses and the chamber of commerce might want to get involved in making it a yearly thing. like a winter tailgate  - but with basketball.  ;D

• Content Count:  3,103

i went to the game vs Wake Forest this past year and it was ok.  if they decide to do one again there, make sure they have a area set up for just students, as there was no area for us against Wake Forest

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We should play all our big conference games at the forum. Similar to what st John's does with MSG. students go out in channelside, south tampa, and ybor. They could easily make the forum for 4 or 5 games a year. It would bring in the business crowd as well as bringing in more fans from the surrounding areas as it is much easier to get to.

most of the teams we compete against have tremendous arenas to play in. Georgetown, Marquette, etc. UofL is building a $40 miliion arena downtown to play in. If we expect to compete in the BE then we need to play in an arena built to allow us to do that. The sundome is a sunbelt arena. It would be a huge sell to recruits to play against the best in such a nice arena.

• Content Count:  385

it wouldn't hurt to play a game or two there.  Maybe it we will get a little more exposure.

• Content Count:  1,528

only over winter break when the campus is dead and the students are out. No sense in doing it another time when most students that go are within walking distance from the SunDome.

• Content Count:  1,911

We should play all our big conference games at the forum. Similar to what st John's does with MSG. students go out in channelside, south tampa, and ybor. They could easily make the forum for 4 or 5 games a year. It would bring in the business crowd as well as bringing in more fans from the surrounding areas as it is much easier to get to.

That St Johns idea is good but I dont think it would really work here in tampa (not yet at least). St Johns has lots of tradition and lots of people in nyc support st johns and always have.  Thats why they can get huge draws at msg.  I was a huge st johns fan growing up and no one in my family ever went there.  They were just the college basketball program to watch.

I think Heath has somewhat of the same vision in his mind.  he wants the city to embrace the team, not just the usf students, alum, and fans.  He said numerous times, I want the usf games to be an event, something the whole city wants to come down at watch.  He is trying to create demand and I think its a great way to do so.  i like this guy better everyday.  

only over winter break when the campus is dead and the students are out. No sense in doing it another time when most students that go are within walking distance from the SunDome.

just about every other BE team plays in a downtown arena not on campus. no offense to the students but we would draw a much larger crowd having games in a more central location. I'm sure most of them would make it downtown to watch us play some of the best teams in the conference. They don't seem to have trouble making it to that area to party many nights a week.

That St Johns idea is good but I dont think it would really work here in tampa (not yet at least). St Johns has lots of tradition and lots of people in nyc support st johns and always have.  Thats why they can get huge draws at msg.  I was a huge st johns fan growing up and no one in my family ever went there.  They were just the college basketball program to watch.

I think Heath has somewhat of the same vision in his mind.  he wants the city to embrace the team, not just the usf students, alum, and fans.  He said numerous times, I want the usf games to be an event, something the whole city wants to come down at watch.  He is trying to create demand and I think its a great way to do so.  i like this guy better everyday.  

we don't get many to the sundome now. of course it will take time and a winner but it is much easier to draw to the forum than it is to the campus. Downtown is centrally located to st pete, clearwater, etc. not only that but tens of thousands of potential fans work and live nearby. Not only does st john's play in a downtown arena but so does DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, etc.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I don't mind playing a few (over break), but lets not play the big games at a cavernous venue that will take away from the crowd.

The Wake game had a decent turnout (as stated more Noles than Bulls), why spend the money renting out the facility? I don't think you'll draw the extra 4-5k to offset the costs. We could pair up with another game, Florida or FSU (like FSU last year) to keep it low, but then you get an arena with hundred of Noles/Gators.

As for the St. Johns comparisons. They don't have an on campus arena that can fit enough for big games, so they play their games at the Garden.

I think moving many basketball games downtown would alienated the team.

I will counter: I know WHY he wants to play the games there. Recruiting. The Sundome is in bad condition right now and severly needs rennovations. I think his belief is that the games at SPT Forum might be more appealing to the possible recruits (as our basketball facilities are just SKIT right now). Dunno if it will work...

Archived