Bulls could learn from Bealls and Rays!

T-Man

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

... theoretically making our tickets more valuable.

And I BULLieve that theory.

And MUTT is the bestest kind of fan.

:GoBulls

And thanx for the correction Bobcat.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  0

But in terms of fan base, they are very VERY similar.

- Rays have budding superstars and a bunch of fans afraid to dump their yankees, red sox, and braves gear.

USF has a budding program with the same problem, fans afraid to dump their uf, fsu, and um gear.

- Rays have a stadium that, although a nice place to watch a game, feels "out of place".

USF play in a stadium that, although a nice place to watch a game, doesnt feel "like home".

- Rays have a tv contract that, although its nice to watch more games, who really knows where to find ION Network on the cable dial?

USF have a tv contract that, although its nice to watch more games, who really knows what channel theyll be on week in and week out?

1) You can't really compare fan bases of a University and Professional Sports Team. And how do you put the Braves in the same "bandwagon" category as the yanks and red sox?

2) The Devil Rays haven't really proved themself as a powerhouse yet, but when they do fans will come. Personally, when I moved to Tampa, I already had my favorite NFL and MLB team and I'm sure many other students are the same way. That can kill fan support as well.

• Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

The best marketing that USF can do right now (other than by attracting season ticket holders) is to do High School nights. $10 tickets (end zone and/or upper deck) with a high school ID.

Make a USF football game a popular hang out for the teens. It will put butts into the seats and it will begin to create many new, young fans. This is the best way to compete in households in which mom/dad/uncle/grandpa are fans of other college teams.

Eric, is there anyway that you guys can make this happen? The WVU game on a Friday night would be a really good trial run.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Teen Night? I dunno about that. High School kids really aren't into football at this age, especially when they go to games in groups. What would happen is they would end up hanging out in their little groups on the concourse probably doing stuff they shouldn't.

Running promotions at football games is hard because your limited on your number of games and dates. Maybe a 4 pack (4 tix, 4 hotdogs, 4 sodas, 4 shirts for $80 bucks)

• Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

16-18 year olds are heavily into football. They go out in a group, have a good time, probably leave shortly after halftime, but who cares. Thepoint is to get buts into the seats. I am sure the trouble these teens make in the concourse would be no worse than the trouble the students make.  ;)

Also, you eliminate a lot of the trouble makers by charging $10 to get in. You can include a soda or something in that as well. The point is to get people involved.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

yep but i think the Rays have a slightly larger marketing budget then we do....

let's also not forget that they make some good money on concession sales-- so more butts in seats translates directly into additional revenues for them.

• Content Count:  478

16-18 year olds are heavily into football. They go out in a group, have a good time, probably leave shortly after halftime, but who cares. Thepoint is to get buts into the seats. I am sure the trouble these teens make in the concourse would be no worse than the trouble the students make.  ;)

Also, you eliminate a lot of the trouble makers by charging $10 to get in. You can include a soda or something in that as well. The point is to get people involved.

absolutlely - my cousin is a baseball and basketball player for tampa catholic and he LOVES going to bulls games with his high school friends. GREAT IDEA!

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Also, you eliminate a lot of the trouble makers by charging $10 to get in. You can include a soda

or something in that as well. The point is to get people involved.

I'm saying it from expirience, it causes a lot more trouble than really needed. Smoking, drugs, alcohol, pranks, etc were all the result of an ill fated teen night for the arena league team I worked for.

It's not that kids aren't into football, it's at that age, football doesn't play the role that getting away from your parents does. Once kids get to college they are (usually) permanently away from their parents and thus aren't going to reek havoc at a football game.

I don't mean to generalize because there is some good kids that do show and support the team, but in the end the potential problems outweigh the benefits, especially in a venue the size of RJS.

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

Went there today and purchased two d-ray shirts for game.. Both were 30% off as usual...Then when I checked out with total price of 27 bucks (If you spend 25+ on dray gear you get two tickets), I was then given two upper deck tickets to May 20th Dray-Marlin game (8 bucks a piece!)  Seems to me that is a great idea. Bulls could do the same deal and give to upper deck tickets to the ucf game... Marketing gem:  You get to put Bulls wear on new fans and you give them a ticket to the game!   One game one time.... Man does this make sense (cents)!

FYI...Devil Rays have 81 home games they are trying to sell to the average fan....and most locals know the playoffs are only a "dream".

USF has only SIX Football Games to sell...and most fans cheerish Fall Saturdays (i.e. its more than just a game...its a PARTY!).

Wow, KL. You're about to have 3,000 posts on a USF board...I was excited about hitting 300. I'm such a horrible fan

::)

I don't think I have 100 posts and I am a football season ticket holder. 124 B trying to hold it down!

• Content Count:  3,827

I don't think I have 100 posts and I am a football season ticket holder. 124 B trying to hold it down!

howdy neighbor!

Archived