The Claw is falling apart

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  206
  • Days Won:  0

First off, as an avid golfer I'll say a few things about courses, the claw is one of the tightest courses I've played EVER!!! one more time EVER!! and I've played every course in Tampa, and I mean every course, many in Pinellas, many in Pasco, Hernando, CItrus, Polk etc. INCLUDING as someone mentioned earlier Bridgewater. A great course but the greens are fast as hell.  Here's the real deal.  The Claw will never be one of those great courses, its just too tight and is operated on a minimal budget and they do they best they can with the budget they are given. Also, now is the time they aerate the greens and mess with the fairways to get them ready for the brutal summer conditions. I've played other courses that are good courses but were in sucky shape, such as Bloomingdale (also mentioned earlier in **** shape as well as TPC, Cheval, Heritage Isles etc.) The golf reality is that weird things happen to courses that cause them to fall apart but with some golf course management and some TLC all course can be turned around. The Claw is one of them. It will never be one of my favorite tracks but if you score well there you will  bury people at other courses and go home with side bet cash in your pockets. It's the course you love to hate.

I'm tired now so leave the claw alone!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  477

The 6th green behind my apartment is in great shape.  I go out there every night and practice my short game.

The claw has always been a dog track -- its part of its charm.

If the claw was in good shape -- it wouldn't be the claw.

They should still fire Jim Fee.  That guy is awful.  

The men's golf team is awful.  The facilities are awful -- its just one big awful.

They do have the best deal in town though.

80 bucks a month and you can walk as much as you want.

Can't beat that if you play 5 times a week.

What a deal.

• Content Count:  7,890

I always enjoyed playing the claw, especially when I am destroying BigBullsOGold by 5 strokes, it is a real tough course.  Hint: if you only see the bev cart girl one time you obviously didnt make it a point to let her know that you will be drinking a bunch on the course and tipping up front (have to make it worth her while to come around).  Imake sure to never have that problem, i cant play golf without plenty of refreshments, i get too bored.

but in all honesty I want to support that course but i see more value playing at babs zaharias (sp?) and Rogers Park (both close and cheap).  the greens at the Claw have always been pretty terrible.  

That is whay I am saying the Babe, Rodgers Park, and Rocky Point are better deals and I want to support the Claw but **** that place makes golf no fun (I am talking about the greens not making it fun not the dozen or so balls I lose on #14  ;))

The 6th green behind my apartment is in great shape.  I go out there every night and practice my short game.

The claw has always been a dog track -- its part of its charm.

If the claw was in good shape -- it wouldn't be the claw.

They should still fire Jim Fee.  That guy is awful.  

The men's golf team is awful.  The facilities are awful -- its just one big awful.

They do have the best deal in town though.

80 bucks a month and you can walk as much as you want.

Can't beat that if you play 5 times a week.

What a deal.

WALK ? ? ? ? where do you put you beer and cigars? Walking in June and July not my idea of fun. Now give me a cart and some young co-ed with a beer cart and a sunny day on the course and I am just fine :D

• Content Count:  115

I played the claw last week and agree the greens are the worst its like a hard clay table.  If you have ever tried to put on a sidewalk you get the idea how bad it is.

• Content Count:  4,503

When you add in the cost of lost golf balls the Claw is really expensive to play.   ;D

• Content Count:  90

I shot the claw Saturday before the spring game for the first time in 6 or so months and was I surprised. The greens are horrible it was like putting on concrete, only saw the cart girl once the whole after noon and, some of the staff are just plain ass holes. What is going on over there if this keeps up they might as well level the course and build an OCS there. The Claw never played like this when Sundome Inc. ran it.

I played there for a tournament and the greens wear very bad and that was 6 months ago atleast. they need to tear up the dirt and rebuild the greens totally. then use good seed and fertilize it . and do not over water it will cause mold and alge.

I shot the claw Saturday before the spring game for the first time in 6 or so months and was I surprised. The greens are horrible it was like putting on concrete, only saw the cart girl once the whole after noon and, some of the staff are just plain ass holes. What is going on over there if this keeps up they might as well level the course and build an OCS there. The Claw never played like this when Sundome Inc. ran it.

I played there for a tournament and the greens wear very bad and that was 6 months ago atleast. they need to tear up the dirt and rebuild the greens totally. then use good seed and fertilize it . and do not over water it will cause mold and alge.

you know that is what I said to my friend as we left just close it down for awhile rebuild the greens (because that is all that needs to be done) keeping open with the greens this bad is doing nothing but turning people away from the course.

Also I don’t want anyone to think I am a Claw hater I love that Place it is the first course I played (boy I lost a crap load of Balls) and it has a special place in my heart. I just hate to see it this way and when I bring it up to the guys in the Club House they just say they are working on it.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

FWIW, the Claw is Ron and Ian's Double Play today. You pay $50 and you get a gift certificate for $100. It should be on their website if there are any still available. One thing to note is that on some of their Double Play's the certificate can be used only once so you'd have to get that $100 value at one time.

• Content Count:  2,523

I learned to play golf on that course with the Birdman back 96-2001.  I started shooting about 130 and slowly by the time I graduated (and taken golf class as much as they would allow) I was shooting a legit 90-92 on that course.  When I ever went ANYWHERE else, I was always shooting in the mid 80s or lower.  That's how tough a course the CLAW is.  I've played all over the country and Puerto Rico with clients and never have seen a course play as tough as that one.  It's a perfect course to learn how to become a good golfer bc you have to be accurate and manage the course to shoot well.  Vs. other courses where you can drive the piss out of the ball and you can hardly land in trouble you can't recover from.

The funniest shot I'll remember when I was learning, was approaching the green on the signature hole, ripping out my 3 wood instead of a 5 and driving the ball over the green onto Fletcher ave (during rush hour traffic in the afternoon) and watching that ball somehow hop across all those lanes of traffic and not hit a thing.  Needless to say, I never hit that club again from that spot...

Archived