The Claw is falling apart

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  701
  • Days Won:  0

the layout is great for target golf, but the claw has never been good.  I played there in a US Junior Am qualifier my freshman year in high school, almost 10 years ago, and it sucked then

then again maybe i'm spoiled from all the nice courses i played in the 941

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

The Claw is NOT that bad, gee whiz guys, for the money its a good course.  Now of course if you are willing to pay more to play I'm sure the course could be revamped and maintained better.  The area has experienced less than normal precipitation and the course makes every attempt to conserve water which has contributed to the greens being less than desirable.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

first-- it is a tough course no matter what shape it is in

if the greens are bad-- oh boy-- forget it

they just did a lot of work on the place over the past two years as I recall. But it could be alot better.

If we needed the land for a stadium, I would not miss the course one bit

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

first-- it is a tough course no matter what shape it is in

if the greens are bad-- oh boy-- forget it

they just did a lot of work on the place over the past two years as I recall. But it could be alot better.

If we needed the land for a stadium, I would not miss the course one bit

ditto...

I enjoy playing it on days I don't lose a dozen balls... but i'm not THAT attached to it to really care if it disappeared.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I graduated in 2003 and throughout my college time at USF I really liked that course.  Growing up I played most of my golf at Bloomingdale Country Club and my high school golf team played at River Hills (certainly Tampa area golfers know those courses) but I liked the claw better than both of those courses.  

The course was surrounded by natural beauty; most times I played the course I saw a few alligators.  It was one of the very few courses in Tampa area that still allowed walkers, and I think students could walk for only $10.  Sad to hear it is falling apart.  

Come to think of it, when I left I remember the head pro saying they had just received some grant to improve drainage and make some major improvements to the course, guess that didn't work so well.

• Content Count:  557

I have lived right next to USF for the past 7 years, 5 as a student. And over those 7 years I have frequented The Claw on a regular basis. Before I begin my rant I want to make it clear that I do love The Claw. It is priced reasonably, the course is tight and chalenging, as USF Grouper said, it is a naturally pretty course, and of course it is OUR golf course.

Now that I have that out of the way......... our greens have gone to $hit!!! They might be the worst greens in Tampa, including Terrace Hill (the 9 hole night course on Busch). The greens are hard as a rock, almost barren of anything green, and waaaaaay too short.

It is not like this is a new problem either, they have been like this for awhile now. When it under went new ownership a couple of years back they kept saying that the greens where going to be new and improved. And while the greens did get better for awhile, they have yet to be in "good shape", and have recently turned back to crap!

I love The Claw and it hurts me to see it in this shap. I don't know what needs to happen, but I am pretty sure someone needs to loose a job.  

• Content Count:  2,726

I don't know what needs to happen, but I am pretty sure someone needs to loose a job.  

This is most likely what needs to happen.  Sorry about the stadium blub a few posts back...thought it was a cool idea. ::)

I really do love the claw.  I've played it once and frequent the driving range whenever I want to relax.  Keep it...FIX IT!!!

• Content Count:  478

if its as bad as ya'll say it is... is there a contact number avalable so people can call and complain or write an e-mail? One of the perks of being an alumni - is you can call and complain about stuff and they have to listen! If a lot of people wrote e mails or an editorial - I bet something would be done eventually. Universities hate bad press and angry alums (esp the ones that shell out $$$)

I think we should keep it but if its not kept up- what does that say about our university????

I hope someone doesn't lose their job over this though... but if they did their job we wouldn't be having this conversation so maybe it does need to happen...

• Content Count:  2,726

if they did their job we wouldn't be having this conversation

YUP!

• Content Count:  1,911

I always enjoyed playing the claw, especially when I am destroying BigBullsOGold by 5 strokes, it is a real tough course.  Hint: if you only see the bev cart girl one time you obviously didnt make it a point to let her know that you will be drinking a bunch on the course and tipping up front (have to make it worth her while to come around).  Imake sure to never have that problem, i cant play golf without plenty of refreshments, i get too bored.

but in all honesty I want to support that course but i see more value playing at babs zaharias (sp?) and Rogers Park (both close and cheap).  the greens at the Claw have always been pretty terrible.  

Archived