FWIW: My comments on the Spring Game

Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

in response to Jim----Leavitt never said to the walk ons, that he did not need kickers. everyone got to try out, and people got cut. he kept two people for a little while, one is my fiance, then he let them kick with a T for several hours at a practice one day and then let them kick two kicks with matt grothe as the holder, a full snap, and a full line coming at them and if they did not make both kicks they got cut. he cut all the walkons and i bet he is wishing he had kept them around for more than those two kicks, especially since they both out kicked usfs hurt starting kicker (alvarado), who has injured himself four times in a row and fans should not expect to see him play too much because of constant injuries to his calf and benzer who can barely make the ball go thirty yards let alone keep it down the middle, benzer missed every field goal and several extra points last year and was even worse the year before, he will definitely not get started and thats why leavitt had his punter kicking field goals, because no one else can seem to keep it between the two up rights, but as all in attendance saw at the spring game, our special teams is going to kills us next year and it is going to be a rutgers replay (missing 3 field goals to set us up to lose the game).

p.s we were 0 for 4 on field goals and 1 for 2 on extra points and the one made was a "redo".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

in response to Jim----Leavitt never said to the walk ons, that he did not need kickers. everyone got to try out, and people got cut. he kept two people for a little while, one is my fiance, then he let them kick with a T for several hours at a practice one day and then let them kick two kicks with matt grothe as the holder, a full snap, and a full line coming at them and if they did not make both kicks they got cut. he cut all the walkons and i bet he is wishing he had kept them around for more than those two kicks, especially since they both out kicked usfs hurt starting kicker (alvarado), who has injured himself four times in a row and fans should not expect to see him play too much because of constant injuries to his calf and benzer who can barely make the ball go thirty yards let alone keep it down the middle, benzer missed every field goal and several extra points last year and was even worse the year before, he will definitely not get started and thats why leavitt had his punter kicking field goals, because no one else can seem to keep it between the two up rights, but as all in attendance saw at the spring game, our special teams is going to kills us next year and it is going to be a rutgers replay (missing 3 field goals to set us up to lose the game).

p.s we were 0 for 4 on field goals and 1 for 2 on extra points and the one made was a "redo".

;D

wow--- sounds like someone has been hearing an earload of bellyaching from their boyfirend who was cut as a walkon.

Yeah-=- the "redo" was ORDERED by Leavitt as they had made rushing the kicks off limits. Murphy just rushed it anyway as a joke. (see doghouse perhaps). You make it sound like all the field goal tries were chip shots-- at least three of them were over 40 yards-- 1 was something like 55 yards.

Also-- we didn't have a reliable long snapper and as such the timing is impacting. Yes-- there is NO RUSH-- but these kickers are trying to do things in real time-- and that involves timing. I don't want to defend the guys out there but it sure isn't helping.

so sorry if your boyfriend didn't make the team. If he is that good, maybe coach will bring him back. If you expect life to be fair for a walk on in CJL's world, you are not paying attention. His last starting kicker that was a walkon left because coach wouldn't give him a scholarship immediately after a decent year.

I trust in Alvarado coming back and getting the job done again. Other than that--- we're talkin' about kickers (Allen Iverson voice)

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I would like to see USF make it more of an event, in this regard, it would be great to have the band there getting the crowd fired up prior to the start of the game instead of the lame music played on the PA system.  Further, have the full cheerleading squad and the sundolls there to interact with the fans.  I saw a couple of cheerleaders more than willing to have their photos taken with kids.  If USF is going to use the spring game to sell season tickets, put a little more effort in to it, many attend because it is free, so give them a taste of its like a BULLS Game.  

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

When Teachey was punting was it still rugby style or was it a conventional punting technique?   Really wished that Alvarado wasnt hurt so he could get some PT in front of a crowd so we could see how much it sounds like he has improved.  Hopefully he gets all healed and rested up and gives us a consistent kicker next year.  Kids got a cannon for a leg and if he can get some consistency we could have the best FG game weve had in a while here.  

Glad to hear that Ford started to really knock some of the rust off and get comfortable in the backfield.  As long as he continues  to work hard and improve over the summer he should be the starter or splitting time come Elon.  Really cant wait for the game to get replayed so i can get a look at what went down myself.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Not sure if it will be replayed . . . think it was shown live on press pass, should have done it.

• Content Count:  3,574

When Teachey was punting was it still rugby style or was it a conventional punting technique?  

Rugby.

From watching press pass, Teachy only had one great punt that had hang time.  However, on that punt, the ball didn't go too far.

Petrov had long punts... two went in the endzone after bouncing inside the 5; he had another that landed inside the 10 and one where it was kicked on the side of his foot.  As long has he can hold the ball and get it off in time, I expect him to be the punter.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

My thoughts:

Grothe seems fully healed and faster.  TJ and Denson were our better receivers.  Samuels will be very good.

Selvie and Chris Robinson are ridiculous the way they are in the middle of every play.  LBs are very fast, and no one will be getting to the corner on the D.  Nate Allen is going to hurt someone.

WRs have talent, but are inconsistent.  They also are not sharp in running routes, particularly Hester.

• Content Count:  3,827

Wasnt there, but from what Ive read the special teams have not improved......suprising, because Leavitt is the special teams coach, is he not?

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Wasnt there, but from what Ive read the special teams have not improved......suprising, because Leavitt is the special teams coach, is he not?

I think it's hard to measure special teams from last night.  We didn't have a long snapper playing in the game.  The guys snapping are not projected as snappers.    Setzer is the only LS on the roster right now and he didn't play.  Most of the problems on kicking were on the snaps.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

I think it's hard to measure special teams from last night.  We didn't have a long snapper playing in the game.  The guys snapping are not projected as snappers.    Setzer is the only LS on the roster right now and he didn't play.  Most of the problems on kicking were on the snaps.  

I'd say punting was the only thing that was fair game. the longsnapping screwed up the kickers timing far too often-- that and trying kicks from 40+ yards

I didn't get any shots of Teachey punting but he was all rugby style from what I saw.

Here's some of Petrov

img6108jc0.jpg

img6109lt0.jpg

Archived