FWIW: My comments on the Spring Game

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,628
  • Days Won:  10

Grant Gregory did better than I expected.  I think we will do fine if we have to reach down two deep at QB.

Once Ford warmed up, he started to look like his HS videos.  A few more games and I think he will start to live up to the hype.  Samuels looked good.  Ponton?  Well, I have to remember this is a Spring game and they used everyone everywhere.  But it has been a while since I was a Ponton fan and I think we are deep enough at RB where if we see him play, it will be at a different position.

Didn't see the passing that I thought I would out of Matt.  Maybe I missed it (my brother was with me and he wanted to talk a little too much) or maybe because it was a spring game, but I guess I expected more.  He sure looks good scrambling around in the backfield though.

Our D is awesome!  I don't think we will miss a beat on D even with graduating Snake and Pat.  We seem to be set at LB and DE.

We really didn't need to lose Huners.  What a crappy way to miss a season -- getting hurt in a spring game.

This is going to be a great season.  We do have a lot of work to do, though.  The game served its purpose -- it gave the coaches a look at some of the lesser known players and gave us all a fix that we so badly need in an offseason.  And it was great to finally meet ET and JoeB.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

I gotta disagree with you on Ponton. He is going to be very useful to us this season. You can't expect Ford to bang it out play after play. Ponton brings some of that aggressive north south running for the short gains and can bust them too. I don't think you can put him any further down the depth chart than third-- and we need atleast that many backs in a given season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,628
  • Days Won:  10

Maybe my expectations are too high with Ponton.  When he was trading off runs with Andre, I remember saying that we would be alright after Hall graduated.  Ponton looked almost as good to me.  To my memory, he has never looked as good as he did during the 05 season.  Granted he missed half a season, but I haven't seen it other than one game (it is late and I can't remember which one).  I have been more impressed with Benjamin Williams last year than Ponton.  But me being wrong on this is good for the team, so let's hope I have it messed up!

Maybe my expectations are too high with Ponton.  When he was trading off runs with Andre, I remember saying that we would be alright after Hall graduated.  Ponton looked almost as good to me.  To my memory, he has never looked as good as he did during the 05 season.  Granted he missed half a season, but I haven't seen it other than one game (it is late and I can't remember which one).  I have been more impressed with Benjamin Williams last year than Ponton.  But me being wrong on this is good for the team, so let's hope I have it messed up!

no worries--- I just was saying he ran well tonight in limited action. He played pretty well for us when we need him too last season. He was big in the UNC game for instance. I'm not saying you are wrong or anything like that-- just that Ricky has potential and works hard. Here's the rub though-- if he never regains (or more to the point attains) the starting RB position, I doubt he will ever look that impressive. We all pretty much agree that running backs need work to become all they can be. I have a strong feeling that our main guy will be Ford. Maybe that works more towards Ricky's former role. We'll see. We don;'t even know the status on PLancher (or I don't know) and we have all these other young guys who show flashes of ability. I trust Carl Franks will find the right combination and I just get the impression that Ponton can be a solid contributor

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

I gotta disagree with you on Ponton. He is going to be very useful to us this season. You can't expect Ford to bang it out play after play. Ponton brings some of that aggressive north south running for the short gains and can bust them too. I don't think you can put him any further down the depth chart than third-- and we need atleast that many backs in a given season.

I expect Ford will be able to bang it out a lot, though.  And Aston Samuels looked really good and showed why he's currently #1 on the depth chart.  I'll always like B-Will for last season and especially for being MVP in the bowl game, so I put him 3rd.  People are hyping this Cannon guy, too.  RB is the most interesting position to watch right now.  If Ford and Samuels are #1 and #2, though, we would have 2 freshmen starters at RB.  How cool is that?

• Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

ford tough rules!

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Watch Leavitt's interview on Press Pass.  He talks about the kicking game.

He said that Setser, our #1 (and only) long snapper was hurt and didn't play.  Right now there is no #2 and he expects to bring some in for fall.  he didn't seem too worrried about it.

Hope he's right.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Iliov's punting was GODLY.

Iliov's punting was GODLY.

you must have left before he last one that was a major shank job

Not to be a jerk-- but he punted just as well last year and in practice. THe trouble begins when he is in front of a crowd and under pressure. And in case you missed it-- Teachey is MUCH improved. He still can drop that ball inside the 20 but he also seems to be able to boom it with some airtime-- moreso than last year.

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

I agree with Mike G about the punting. Hopefully, all those jitters are gone this year.

Archived