Bulls Lose in 10 Innings

JoeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Tough loss for the Bulls today.  Danny Otero deserved a better fate, but he was matched by Mike Loree of Villanova.  Each teams only scored two runs in the first nine innings.  Villanova was able to score with two outs in the 10th to break the tie and win the game.  That guy from 'Nova threw close to 150 pitches.  Funny thing is neither guy factored in the decision.  Sanford took the loss for the Bulls.  Both teams meet again tomorrow at noon.  

Stat of the Day.

USF Lefthanded Hitters were 2/18 on the afternoon

Consolmagno 0-2

Taborelli  0-5, 3 Ks

Daniel  0-3, 2 Ks

Cardieri  0-3, K

Pardo  2-5, K

Our righthanded hitters were a combined 8-20

Diaz  1-5

Butler  3-4

Maruszak  1-4

Soares  1-2

Angelberger  2-5

You'd think it would have been the other way around as the starting pitcher for Villanova was a Righthander.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF SID

USF Drops 10-Inning Game, 3-2, To Villanova Friday Afternoon

PLYMOUTH MEETING, Pa. (April 13, 2007) – In the third all-time meeting between the University of South Florida (25-11, 8-5 BIG EAST) and Villanova (15-14, 4-6 BIG EAST), the Wildcats recorded two hits in the 10th inning to take the 3-2 victory over the Bulls Friday afternoon in Pennsylvania.

The game was USF's first extra-inning outing of the season. The Bulls' last overtime game was April 25, 2006, an 11-inning loss (12-9) to Stetson at Red McEwen Field in Tampa, and USF's last extra-inning game on the road was an 11-inning victory (6-4) over UCF on April 18 in Orlando.  

Senior right handed pitcher Danny Otero tallied a season-high (tie) eight strike outs with six hits and no walks in 9.0 innings pitched.  

Freshman right hander Shawn Sanford came in to close the game in the bottom of the 10th, striking out one and allowing two hits after walking one and hitting a Wildcat with a pitch.  

Junior second baseman Dexter Butler was 3-for-4 at the plate, with one intentional walk, notching his ninth double of the year and scoring one run.  

For the second consecutive game, junior Walter Diaz produced a hit in his last at bat to continue his hitting streak, which is now at 18 games. Diaz was 1-for-5 in his first game against Villanova.  

USF scored first for the 23rd time this season, tallying two in the top of the second to take the early lead.  

Butler notched the first hit of the game with a single up the middle. Sophomore third baseman Addison Maruszak followed with a double down the right line, moving Butler to third, then junior first baseman Brandin Daniel drew a walk to load the bases for the Bulls. Junior center fielder Joey Angelberger proceeded to send a base hit past the Wildcats' shortstop, scoring Butler and notching his 22nd RBI of the year.

In the fourth, the Wildcats knotted the score at two with two hits and one Bull error.  

Five innings later the Bulls threatened to take the lead in the top of the ninth as Pardo singled to left, and was moved to second on a sac bunt by junior outfielder Mike Consolmagno. Diaz sent a base hit to the left side and took second as senior outfielder Ty Taborelli struck out swinging. Butler, the Bulls' hot hitter of the game was intentionally walked to load the bases for Maruszak, who stepped to the plate with two outs.  

Maruszak battled to an eight-pitch 2-2 count before grounding out to the second baseman, leaving three runners on base and taking the tied ballgame into the bottom of the ninth.  

In the 10th freshman Ryan Soares singled to right field, but two Bulls were struck out and a fly out to right field ended the scoring opportunity for USF.

In the bottom of the inning the Wildcats loaded the bases after a walk, a single and a hit by pitch, then scored the game-winning run with a single up the middle.  

Angelberger and Pardo were both 2-for-5 in the game, while Angelberger and Consolmagno each tallied an RBI.  

Due to possible inclement weather on Sunday, the Bulls and Wildcats will play a double-header Saturday to wrap up the three-game series in Pennsylvania. The first pitch will be at 11 a.m., and the second game will begin immediately following the first.

Here are Danny Otero's stats from today's game.

9 Innings Pitch

6 Hits

0 Walks

2 Unearned Runs

8 Ks

120 pitches

Probably his best game of the year, but Loree pitched just as good and threw 160 pitches.  I'll go out on a limb and say we won't face a pitcher tougher than Mike Loree the rest of the year.  Hopefully we don't run into him during the Big East Tourney.

Archived