Bill McGillis named new Sr. Associate AD

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2007/apr/13/ue-aces/

McGillis leaving Aces

Bill McGillis is leaving his post as the director of athletics at the University of Evansville, but not without regrets.

McGillis announced Thursday he was leaving UE to become the senior associate athletics director at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

"Professionally, this is a great move," said McGillis, who came to Evansville in April 2002. "But it was a very difficult decision at a personal level. Everything here, the school, the community and the church, is hard to give up.

"We've had an awesome experience at the University of Evansville. I feel blessed and fortunate to have served here for five great years. There's an extraordinary group of young men and women here representing the Purple Aces."

McGillis, who had been rumored for jobs at Long Beach State and New Mexico last year, said he did not seek the post at South Florida.

"The AD at South Florida, Doug Woolard, has been there about a year-and-a-half after being at St. Louis University for 10 years," said McGillis. "So we've had a strong relationship for about 12 years.

"He approached me to see if I would be interested in the opportunity they had there. There are many compelling reasons to go, but the main one was the opportunity to work with Doug Woolard. And, there's such a tremendous upside at the school."

McGillis said South Florida had been on a "meteoric rise" athletically.

The school has been in the Big East Conference for two years and been to football bowl games in each of those seasons.

"They've only been Division IA for six years," said McGillis. "It's the best location in the Big East with the best recruiting base at its doorstep. They're on the verge of becoming a BCS football school." (note:  I already don't like the guy)

There was only one regret McGillis felt within the UE athletic department, not being able to work with his most recent hire, head men's basketball coach Marty Simmons.

"To leave so soon after hiring a basketball coach is unusual," said McGillis. "If it was anyone other than Marty Simmons, I'd have serious reservations. But he's such a perfect fit for the school and the community. I regret we won't have the opportunity to work together."

McGillis, who came to UE after four years as an assistant at New Mexico, will remain at Evansville through the end of April before starting at South Florida in May. Sports information director Bob Boxell was named the interim AD for the Aces.

Said Boxell: "I have to credit Bill. The overall condition of the athletic department is better than it's been at any time in the last five years. My job will be to just make sure nothing gets backlogged for our coaches and staff. We don't want our progress to slow in the athletic department."

University President Stephen Jennings said the search for a new athletics director would begin immediately.

Boxell said he would not be a candidate for the post.

"Bill McGillis has been terrific in his work here these last five years and our atheltics program is clearly stronger because of that work," said Jennings.

"He's been a wonderful friend and colleague and I know he'll be successful in Tampa."

• Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

I think he means that we are on the verge of becoming a BSC bowl school - consitantly.

Although his credentials don't exaclty fall in line with DW recents hires, he must be doing something right...I hope

• Content Count:  4,142
  • Days Won:  1

Purple Aces???  He should be kissin each & every one of us on the bright red rosey just for the opportunity...

• Content Count:  261

Well, I don't think he was brought in for his football expertise. I'm assuming that he's strong in overall sports administration based on the statement Boxell made in the latter portion of the article.

Hmmm, did Evansville get new facilities recently? Maybe his hire is related to that. There is a method to Doug's madness.

• Content Count:  1,991

New face, sometimes it is better to hire outstide the circle.  Looking forward to seeing the contributions he brings to our athletic department.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

From the sounds of it, it's a good hire.  There should be no doubt now that Woolard has a vision for this department.  

• Content Count:  1,911

I love that we have and AD that people WANT to work for. If that doesn't say great things about where our athletic department is headed, nothing does.

• Content Count:  2,719

From the sounds of it, it's a good hire.  There should be no doubt now that Woolard has a vision for this department.  

I gotta agree with you there, Matt.  Woolard has done nothing but great things for this athletic program.  And am I correct in assuming that this is Veit's replacement?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF SID

Bill McGillis Named Senior Associate Athletics Director at USF

TAMPA, FLA. (April 13, 2007) -- Bill McGillis, the sitting Director of Athletics at Evansville, has been named the Senior Associate Director of Athletics for External Affairs at the University of South Florida, USF Director of Athletics Doug Woolard said today. McGillis will start at USF May 1.

McGillis has been the Evansville Director of Athletics since 2002, and his career includes a broad range of athletic administration experience at the University of New Mexico and the University of Houston, in addition to experience as the General Manager of two professional women’s basketball teams.

In his five years at Evansville, McGillis focused on three cornerstones–UE’s championship tradition, academic excellence, and integrity.

“"Bill McGillis is one of the more well-respected administrators in college athletics,” said Woolard.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“We're extremely fortunate to have him join our athletic department.  Bill's vast experience as a collegiate administrator will prove beneficial to every aspect of our department."

McGillis said, “I am very excited about this opportunity at USF.  I have followed the meteoric rise of the Bulls program for several years and feel very fortunate that I will be joining the team.  I don't know that there is another program in America that has as much upside as this one.  There is no ceiling on what can be achieved at USF. I appreciate Doug Woolard and am really looking forward to working with him.  There is a very strong management team in place right now, and I'm eager to join them and contribute any way possible to their continued success.”

McGillis, a graduate of the prestigious Sports Management Institute Executive Program jointly sponsored by Notre Dame, Southern Cal, North Carolina and South Carolina, began his administrative career at the University of Houston in July 1985. At Houston, he became involved in all phases of the department, progressing from the Assistant to the Director of Athletics to Assistant and Associate Athletics Director, before spending the last four of his 12 years as Senior Associate Director of Athletics.

In 1997 and 1998, McGillis worked as General Manager of the Long Beach Sting Rays (1997-98) and Columbus Quest (1998), two American Basketball League franchises. The ABL is a past competitor of the WNBA.

In December 1998, McGillis was named Senior Associate Director of Athletics at New Mexico, where he oversaw a wide range of internal and external areas of the department. He remained at New Mexico until accepting the Evansville job in April 2002.

In addition to his graduation from the Sports Management Institute, McGillis holds a bachelor’s degree from St. Thomas University (1984), where he was the recipient of the Most Outstanding Sports Administration Student Award.

McGillis and his wife, Margie, have four children, Jordan, Taylor, Marissa and Will.

• Content Count:  4,879

Yes, it is Tom's replacement and another upgrade by DW.  

This is a huge endorsement for DW and USF.  And once again, DW has found a high character person that is a winner.

Archived