Whats up with Brett McMurphy ?

dabull80

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

It is a vacation...and I believe there is a significant date around this time with a family member... Brett has a job to do and sometimes the coach/school does not make life easy for him... not in a bad way, just in a way that is probably frustrating... and you can believe that there are some of the more tradition rich schools that take a severe beating by the beat writers as opposed to what the Trib or Times does here... And while I think we would all just like to hear positives, positives, positives, I think it speaks volumes as to the rise of the athletic department that there are more controversial things to write about...

I also find it ironic that so many complaints about slant/bias/lack of coverage with Brett and yet , on the radio side, 1010 has four people close to the USF program, Krasniqi w/ WBB, Lighthall w/ FB and MBB, Al Keck with the Coach Leavitt show, and myself w/FB, on the air throughout the day and yet the station still receives 3-4 times the amount of calls about the Gators than USF... there is a forum to talk USF on the radio (and the station streams now) and yet more people want to complain about the lack of coverage/ignorance of 620's hosts towards the USF program than to take advantage of the opportunity the USF fan has with 1010 Sports... just an observation :-/  

First I think it is great everytime we have a media rep post on the board - thank-you.  

Second this is the first I have heard that you guys are on the web -  great news for all us folks on the east coast of Florida.

Third you may regret telling me because I can light up the phone lines now   ;D with USF talk.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,503

Oh and Cyberbull - I think you are so right about it being a different Brett then two years ago.  Maybe that is the Brett that the Sherriff remembers.

• Content Count:  9

So much speculation, and you guys don't know anything.  The fact of the matter is that there are negative aspects to all of athletics.  Including USF Athletics.  Brett just has the b@lls to report on those.

He is not hated in the USF Athletics department.  Actually, he has some REALLY strong, trusting relationships with some of the higher ups in the Athletics office.  Lay off of him.  Seeing both sides of the story is always a good thing.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Off-topic, but here is the info for mpepper's station:

On second thought, I may not be able to listen*:

2:00am - 6:00am David Stein

6:00am - 7:00am Tom Krasniqi  (*3 a.m. pacific)

7:00am - 9:00am Mike Pepper (*4 a.m. pacific

9:00am - 1:00pm Tony Bruno

1:00pm - 3:00pm Al Keck (10 a.m. pacific)

3:00pm - 6:00pm The SportChix

6:00pm - 7:00pm Tim Brando

7:00pm - 10:00pm Arnie Spanier

10:00pm - 12:00am Todd Wright

Listen Live (not now - it's a gun show  ;))

So much speculation, and you guys don't know anything.  The fact of the matter is that there are negative aspects to all of athletics.  Including USF Athletics.  Brett just has the b@lls to report on those.

Who cares about reporting negative aspects?  Reporters are supposed to.  Piling on, fabricating stories, reporting rumor as fact is not "reporting negatives."  Adding his personal touch by calling USF "emabarassing" is not reporting the negatives.  This is like the RMc debate.  Those in support of Brett see it as an attack against good solid reporting - it is not - and a dislike of reading the negative stories about USF - it is not.  It's about a beat writer CHOOSING to mostly ignore Spring Football yet apply his time to the HC job hunt and report a USF "defeat" at every turn whether it actually happened or not.

He is not hated in the USF Athletics department.  Actually, he has some REALLY strong, trusting relationships with some of the higher ups in the Athletics office.  Lay off of him.  Seeing both sides of the story is always a good thing.

I woudn't be so sure of that.  And to see both sides does not require stories about Mike Montgomery or any one of the other potential hundreds of coaches.  Report the facts as they happen.  Don't create them.

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

While we are on this Brett and Trib thing, I still dont believe those student attendance numbers for this past season. I know he cited the Tampa Sports Authority, but I believe someone has to be wrong about those numbers. Anyone that was at all those games last season can see how much the attendance in the student section has improved. Unless regular fans are just now starting to sit in those seats, I can away very impressed by the student turnout.  They can site me all those TSA numbers all they want, but I will always base my opinions on my own judgement by looking at the number of bodies in the stands. I was impressed for this past season being that we some games at noon, and that the home schedule didnt have the power teams like WVU and UL. I expect to be more impressed this season.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Why all the hate for the trib?  I am new to the board, so I might have missed something big, but I have always checked both papers for news on the Bulls.  Yeah the trib reports less, but not that much less.  I have always thought that if there was a beef it was that the Bulls always seem to be pushed into the middle of the college sports section.  I don't expect to get better coverage than the bucs, but better than UF, FSU, and Miami

Since many fans like the fact that the St Pete Times PAYS USF $$$$$ every year for the honor to be the "official" newspaper of USF Athletics...and generally only write POSITIVE articles about USF....some fans don't like it when an independent source (not a title sponsor) writes fair, objective articles...which are both positive and negative.

I think some folks don't like "objective" reporting.

[smiley=loser.gif]

I'm beginning to believe your "compromising" pictures theory....

Typical KL act: can't win on the field so he has to compensate in other ways...

Maybe Brett has been removed from reporting Bulls football - Becnel had the story and there were no blog entries.  I was all prepared to read about how Wally Burnham would have turned down the USF head basketball coaching position if asked or not.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Becnel's been doing a pretty good job, I must say.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

While we are on this Brett and Trib thing, I still dont believe those student attendance numbers for this past season. I know he cited the Tampa Sports Authority, but I believe someone has to be wrong about those numbers. Anyone that was at all those games last season can see how much the attendance in the student section has improved. Unless regular fans are just now starting to sit in those seats, I can away very impressed by the student turnout.  They can site me all those TSA numbers all they want, but I will always base my opinions on my own judgement by looking at the number of bodies in the stands. I was impressed for this past season being that we some games at noon, and that the home schedule didnt have the power teams like WVU and UL. I expect to be more impressed this season.

it's possible

I know of several people who have gotten tickets from me and said they were planning on sitting in the student section

Also-- student companion tickets don't necessarily count as student admissions (since they scan the ID right?) and those folks probably sit with their buddies inthe student section.

I know some alumni who sit down there as well. Some folks just find it more exciting to be around the loud/rowdy/excited students.

And I woldn't have them any other way

Archived