NCAA bball $$$ --> Big East --> USF

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

The Big East ($14.9 million)  --> 16 teams = about $930,000

Let's say those teams that make it to the dance get more, which would only be logical.

I'd say USF gets at least $500,000 for watching TV.  8-)

The Birmingham News

SEC reaps hefty slice in money split

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

JON SOLOMON

News staff writer

The Southeastern Conference's NCAA Tournament performance this season keeps the league in good financial position under the NCAA men's basketball revenue distribution plan.

A conference's annual share is based on the number of teams in the tournament and how they fare over a six-year period. The SEC barely received five bids this season, but turned them into 14 units - the same number as the ACC produced with seven bids.

One unit is awarded for each tournament game in which a team participates, except the championship game. Each unit is worth $176,864 for this year's distribution, which covers the tournaments from 2001 to 2006.

The SEC is projected to receive $13.1 million for 74 units from the NCAA, tied with the Pac-10 for fourth most. The Big East ($14.9 million), Big 12 ($14.3 million) and ACC ($14.1 million) will receive more.

By next year, though, the SEC jumps to 77 units by replacing 11 units from 2001 with 14 from 2007. That will move the SEC into sole possession of fourth and ahead of the Big Ten, which loses three units next year. And it could have been worse for the Big Ten.

Ohio State's survival against Xavier - no intentional foul called against Greg Oden and a tying 3-pointer by Ron Lewis at the buzzer - was worth more than half a million dollars to the Big Ten. Follow the math.

It appears next year's units will be worth about $191,000 each. (The NCAA hasn't announced that. This figure is based on the NCAA saying revenue distribution increases 8 percent each year from its contract with CBS.)

Based on that math, Ohio State's three additional units after almost losing to Xavier netted the Big Ten approximately $573,000. Ohio State also nearly lost to Tennessee in the Sweet 16.

The SEC will have the biggest jump in units next year among major conferences. That should reward the SEC with approximately $14.7 million in'08, an increase of $1.6 million from this year.

But no conference helped itself more in 2007 than the Pac-10, which rode UCLA, Oregon and USC to 16 units. That will come in handy to replace the 17 it loses next year from 2001.

The Pac-10's 66 units next year will still be the lowest among major conferences. But had the Pac-10 stayed on its previous four-year tournament pace, it would have been staring at 59 units - which would be closer to Conference USA than to the Big East, Big 12, ACC and SEC.

C-USA continues to say a prayer each night for John Calipari and Memphis, which earned all four units for the one-bid league this year.

C-USA is projected to receive $7.8 million this year for 44 units. Memphis' second straight run to the Elite Eight places C-USA with 43 units next year, good enough for a likely increase of about $400,000.

The NCAA will distribute $132.6 million this year from the men's basketball tournament.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

Great Find!

• Content Count:  2,016

The BE will lose 10 units from 2001 but will pick up a total of 13 for this years performance.  giving it a total of 86 units or about $16.4 million next year.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

They do give teams more money based on the number of units they have, so I am not sure how much USF will get. I'd imagine its abouyt the same as last year 350k

• Content Count:  10,219

this is why we could afford to pay more $$$ to heath.

Archived