How to get more students to attend the games?

Guest BasketBull.

The USF Alumni Association did a survey... I have a copy -- it's at home and I'm at work -- but I posted some of the results here... there is a significant portion of the student body who are not now and will never be interested in athletic events.

I will try to search to see if I can find my earlier post.

Found it:

In 2005, the USF Alumni Association commissioned a study of then-current USF students.  Here are some interesting numbers -- for students at the TAMPA CAMPUS:

- 40% students rate their pride in attending USF at less than 7 on a scale of 10

- 54% campus chose USF for it's location

- Only 7% list sports as their most memorable USF experience (21% say friends, 14% say instructors)

- 6% has the strongest affiliation with USF athletics, 40% with their major/department

- 35% think that USF is mediocre

- 59% have NEVER attended an athletic event

- 17% are not interested in EVER attending an athletic event

(64% of those do not like sports, 26% don't have time for sports)

- 26% are not interested in joining Alumni for athletic events

- 60% said joining the Big East had NO EFFECT on their connection to USF

- 47% said that success in sports would keep them connected after graduation, significantly less than:

~ Access to resources (93%)

~ Help with job placement (89%)

~ Improving the value of the degree (88%)

~ Communication about happenings at USF (74%)

~ Continuing education (71%)

~ Keeping connected with classmates (67%)

- 43% DO NOT regularly wear USF clothing

- 37% are not interested in campus traditions such as Homecoming

Marketing:

- 64% prefer to receive news and info via email

- 82% feel USF does a good, fair, or excellent job of communicating news and info

And I believe that students at branch campuses (St Pete, Lakeland, Sarasota) were less inclined to attend sporting events.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

64% of those do not like sports

Only changes with time.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

$1 beers and $1 hotdogs......... ;D

Really, its tough to say.  There has to be a huge push on campus when the students are walking around in between classes.  Not sure if there is a presence at the Flea Market, but there should be (if they still have the flea market).  Should be advertisements all over the place too.  Gotta get as many students out there as possible.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Oh, and pep rallys.  You gotta have pep rallys to build school spirit.  They could do those out in the open spaces on Thursdays prior to the game.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Talk about apathy.

Student participation should not be based entirely on winning.  The "just win" formula reaches out to the community of people that never attended USF and perhaps have ties to schools they did attend.  Students (and I do not proclaim to know what goes on in their heads) ought to have an interest in attending a school event regardless.  As a freshman I wandered into games in 1979 and no, we weren't winning conferences or national championships back then.  Been hooked ever since.  If it's truly the "win" mentality and who the opponent is it shows me the "what have you done for me lately" or instant gratification mentality has taken over.  If so, we're still generations away from having just plain old Bulls fans from cradle to grave.  That is what we need.  Not a bunch of people that jump on the bandwagon and then jump right back off.

Students?  I think it's been answered several times here - beer.  Sad to admit.  

I agree with the one that suggested (nudge, nudge) more involvement at the student level.  It has to be "cool" or "sick" ( :P) to go.  Right now it sounds like its more cool to go to the Gay and Lesbian Association's events.   Or when I was young, there was a lot of campus interest in the Young Communists.  Oh well, misguided youth.

Need a grass roots student movement to go to games...with covert funding from us fat cats that sit around and wonder why they don't go.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Oh, and pep rallys.  You gotta have pep rallys to build school spirit.  They could do those out in the open spaces on Thursdays prior to the game.

They have had pep rallys. Student turn out can best be described as "less than stellar"

• Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

I can't stand the "just win" cliche.  It takes more than "just win", it does help but we shouldn't just rely solely on that.

• Content Count:  5,903

If I recall correctly, there was a good amount of advertising for that one USF soccer match and the turnout was huge. Maybe they should just try good ol' advertising.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Since most of the people that are sports fans and dont attend games are usually supporters of other schools winning is imperative.  Why would someone Jump ship from UF, FSU, UM who have won more consistently than USF has during the last 11 years?  Yes school spirit and blah blah blah, but for most students school spirit is nonexistant.  Yes us fanatics that post about USF sports 365 days a year attend as many games as our schedules allow (and even ditch stuff on the schedule to go) have great school spirit but the rest of the student body, which is the majority, doesnt.  You have to win and get national attention be on ESPN and get segments.  Basically its a popularity contest.  The average Joe/Jane doesnt want to have to work to find news on his/her team, they want it to be with in easy access.  I dont think we will get the majority of the student body until we win conference championships and have the media talking about us like they do the "Big 3" and make it cool and easy (key word easy) to be a USF fan.    

• Content Count:  4,142

sadly, when I attended USF for the first years, I never went to any of the games...  It took a friend to invite us for me to get hooked. Soon, The lovely Mrs. Mutt and I will take our daughter to her first game.  I can't wait!

Archived