Bulls Baseball wins again, 9-8!

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

...error if you ask me.  Dextor just zoned out.  Cost us a run...its ok though. quote]

they didnt give the error to Dextor, they gave it to the SS.

more the reason why it should of been a fielders choice

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

great game! caught some of it when i got home. might head over tomorrow in search for a sweep

• Content Count:  2,726

Bring your brooms tomorrow!!!

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

The error on that play belonged to the SS.  Dex was in position, however Walt chose to go to 1B, after he thought about 2B.  No big deal.  It was more of a mental mistake than anything.  Anyone that follows baseball could see that one.  Dex did the right thing..............  

...there was a force out at 2nd.  That should have been his first choice(which it was)...I believe the error should have been on Dex.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

True, but if you follow baseball, the error always goes to the fielder on the play.  Not the guy that is supposed to cover the bag..............

I understand what you are saying, I know why he was given the error...I was just trying to get my point across...

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  866

As the guy who scored it E6, allow me to explain...

First of all you can't give a fielders choice without an error if no one is retired.  Also you can't give one when the defensive team attempts to retire the batter/runner, and Diaz made the throw to first.  So on both counts, a fielders choice can't be given.  

The question becomes whether it should be scored a hit or an error.  If Walt goes directly to first, he retires the batter/runner.  No stipulation is made in the rules for failing to retire a runner because of a lack of coverage by a fellow defensive player.  If the shortstop looks to second to force the lead runner, and no one is there (even if they should be), then that is an error of commission, as opposed to the error of omission on the second baseman for failing to cover.  Possibly unfair, but that is the rule.  

Also if Diaz goes directly to first base to retire the batter/runner, he gets him.  But because the throw was off (and he also double-clutched the throw), it's an E6.  

There are some calls we make that are close, but this one was not.  If you want to argue about the comebacker a UCF pitcher botched on Tuesday that we called an error, or Victor Pina's first chance as a Bull last Sunday at third base, those could be disputed as they were both very close calls.  We had a cutoff play that kept me up one night from earlier in the season because I just wasn't sure, and we work very hard to do the right thing.  But this one just doesn't fall in that category.  

• Content Count:  213

As the guy who scored it E6, allow me to explain...

First of all you can't give a fielders choice without an error if no one is retired.  Also you can't give one when the defensive team attempts to retire the batter/runner, and Diaz made the throw to first.  So on both counts, a fielders choice can't be given.  

Actually, you can give a fielder's choice without an error, but NOT in that situation. One common example comes when runners are at first and second and the batter grounds to shortstop. The shortstop fields the ball cleanly and throws accurately to third, but the runner beats the play. Fielder's choice, no error given. If the shortstop bobbles the ball or throws it poorly or if the third baseman drops the ball, then you have an error. If in the judgment of the scorer, the shortstop could not have thrown out the batter, you have a hit.

But Collin is dead on -- you can't have a fielder's choice when the play is at first. It must be a hit or error.

It's a tough job to score -- especially at Red McEwen during a dry year like this one.

• Content Count:  866

Reliabull,

Sorry... forgot to mention there were two out.  Therefore you can't give the FC without an error, as the fielder can throw to first to retire the batter/runner and the side.  And if for some reason it's easier for the defense to get a lead runner then the batter, then Rule 10-4-C says you should score it a hit if everyone advances safely without an error.  

Your situation above is correct though, as if you try to make the spectacular play to cut down a lead runner and miss with less than two out, it can be scored FC.  The official scorer is to favor the hitter in those situations, so it's unusual, but very possible.  

We'll be right back on "The Baseball Nerd Bunch" right after this.  

Archived