Bulls Baseball wins again, 9-8!

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Chris Delaney is now 7-0.................that's pretty good.

Shawn Sanford earned his 9th save.............that's pretty good too.

We left 15 on tonight..............we'll get better................yeah c'mon!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

They are REAL good...however, too many errors if you ask me.  Cut down on those and they might seriously contend for 1st place in the conference.  As it is they are contending...i just think that the games against Rutgers and Louisville are gonna be a little more difficult to win with 3-4 errors a game.  

nevertheless...GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  12,293

our catcher is a helluva player.

maybe because i am a former catcher that is the first thing i look at but he can play the game.

They are REAL good...however, too many errors if you ask me.  Cut down on those and they might seriously contend for 1st place in the conference.  As it is they are contending...i just think that the games against Rutgers and Louisville are gonna be a little more difficult to win with 3-4 errors a game.  

nevertheless...GO BULLS!!!

Bulliever84, we all agree with you.  We will get better, and when we do, we'll win the conference.  Errors are a part of the game, and without them we are the best team in the conference by far!!

1 of the errors i saw was actually scored wrong.  it was the inning that WV scored their 1st run.  ground ball to SS and he thought about going to 2nd but no one was covering cause the guy was stealing, then he rushed the throw to 1st base and wouldnt of gotten him out with a perfect throw.

should of been ruled a fielders choice and not an error.

Rezz, good thought, although I give an error on that simply based on him not throwing to first to begin with..........  

well its a mental error not a phyiscal error (which if you ask any coach those are worse)

but still, it should of been ruled a FC not an error

...error if you ask me.  Dextor just zoned out.  Cost us a run...its ok though.  I have faith that they will get smarter and have fewer errors per game.  When that happens, watch out NCAA!!!

The Bulls are for real this year...we've got a great group of guys!  

GO BULLS!!!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF SID

Bulls Notch A Dozen Hits In 9-8 Victory Over West Virginia

TAMPA, Fla. (April 6, 2007) – Despite giving up two home runs, the University of South Florida (25-9, 8-3) beat West Virginia (17-10, 3-5), 9-8, in the second outing of the three-game BIG EAST series Friday night at Red McEwen.

Junior right handed pitcher Chris Delaney (7-0) struck out seven while allowing eight runs from nine hits in 7.2 innings to earn his seventh win of the year. Freshman right hander Shawn Sanford came in to close the game in the eighth, facing five batters in 1.1 innings and earning his ninth save.  

Junior shortstop Walter Diaz extended his hitting streak to 16 games with a 2-for-4 outing, while recording two RBI, drawing a walk and being hit by a pitch.  

The Bulls, who tallied double-digit hits for the 16th time this season, left 15 runners on base and committed three errors.  

USF put the first runs on the board for the second-consecutive game, scoring one in the bottom of the second. Sophomore Addison Maruszak singled down the left field line and advanced to second on a balk, then senior Nick Cardieri drew a walk to put two runners on the paths. Sophomore catcher Braulio Pardo ripped a base hit to the left side, scoring Maruszak and giving USF the early 1-0 lead.  

The Mountaineers cracked a home run over the left fence and scored an unearned run in the second inning to go ahead of the Bulls 2-1.  

USF erupted for five runs in the third, as 11 batters stepped to the plate, posting five hits and leaving two on base.  

Senior Ty Taborelli and junior Dexter Butler recorded back-to-back base hits and junior Brandin Daniel drew a walk to load the bases as Angelberger stepped to the plate. Taborelli scored on a passed ball then Butler crossed the plate after a single from Angelberger. Pardo then singled up the middle to increase his RBI total to a dozen for the year.  

The next three Bull batters reached base without a hit as sophomore Mike Consolmagno and Taborelli each drew walks and Diaz was hit by a pitch, which scored two runs and giving USF the 6-2 lead.  

West Virginia posted a comeback, scoring three runs from three hits and one Bull error in the fourth.  

The Bulls increased their lead by four over the next three innings, scoring one run in each frame.  

USF put together three consecutive base hits, as Maruszak, Daniel and Angelberger each poked shots to the left side in the fourth inning, scoring one run.

In the fifth, Diaz extended his hitting streak to 16 games on a single through the left side. Taborelli reached on a fielder's choice in time for Butler to send a double to left center, his eighth of the year, and tally his 29th RBI of the season.

With two outs in the sixth, Consolmagno drew his 20th walk of the year and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Diaz collected his second hit of the game, a single up the middle to score Consolmagno and give USF a four-run margin.

The Mountaineers held USF scoreless in the seventh, the first time since the opening inning.

Delaney had retired 12 in a row over four innings, until the Mountaineers sent a base hit over Butler at second base in the top of the eighth.

With two outs in the eighth, West Virginia rocked its second home run of the night off of Delaney, a three-run bomb over the left field fence, drawing the score to one run, 9-8 in favor of USF. Sanford came in to relieve Delaney after the homer, striking out the final batter of the inning in three pitches.

Sanford gave up a hit and a fielder's choice, then Diaz committed an error in the top of the ninth to put two runners on base, but the Bulls turned a double play to end the game and win their 25th game of the year.

The Bulls return to Red McEwen Saturday at 1 p.m. to conclude the three-game BIG EAST series with West Virginia.

...can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Go BULLS!!!

Archived