UCF at USF T-shirts?

SeaBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Nice math Rezz.  I'd say going from 180 members to 300 members is a little bit more than .5 increase.  Wait, let me quick do the math....divide 180 into 300......carry the 1.....move the decimal point......I get a 66% increase over our current membership.  

Eric

i didnt know how many members SBC had.  i was guessing maybe 200.  therefore, a .5 increase.  i didnt say a .5% increase.  i said, .5 as in 50%.  lets try that math, if you had 200 and it went up to 300 then your increase was 100...or half of the original amount.

all im saying is, you cant rely on just communicating with SBC and expect to make a significant impact through out the entire tampa bay area.  but i guess any opinion is just seen as meaningless chatter on a message board right?  i do my part, i wear a green shirt of some sort at every USF event i attend.  I have USF stickers on my truck, USF license plate.  and tell anyone that i bring to a game to wear green, i even give them one of my USF shirts to wear if they dont have anything.  but if you want to sit back and say..."hey are we trying, we talk to these 200 students about getting something together.  all you do is complain on a message board, so we are better then you"   ::)

people want to be a part of something exciting.  getting a whole stadium of people to wear the same color creates excitement.  it creates college atmosphere (which i dont think anyone would say currently exsists at RayJay outside of the student section)  it also makes people want to come back.

you work for the Ath Department, it was just shocking to hear that the offical expectations were to reach 300 students that probably dont need much encouragement to get excited about athletics.  i was kinda hoping for a little bigger vision then that.

oh well, what do i know.  ill just sit here and complain on a message board.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,981

Hoping to get 10,000+ people to wear green by all of them miraculously joining SBC is not a good way of promoting such an event and it is rather frustrating for some of us. We all know how lousy the Marketing Dept.'s budget is but this could be promoted in different ways that wouldn't cost that much.  Let the the media know about the "Green Out", have SBC members attend every single Club meeting a week before the game to promote the event, post signs all over campus, chalking, etc. Nobody is trying to be negative, at the end we just want this done.

• Content Count:  105

You would have to make sure every seat is full with the green shirts... those red seats are not going to help... even if everyone in last years average of 30,000 wore green, there would be too many pockets of red at RJS

• Content Count:  1,981

You would have to make sure every seat is full with the green shirts... those red seats are not going to help... even if everyone in last years average of 30,000 wore green, there would be too many pockets of red at RJS

Then we should do it for the L'ville game so it can look like pockets of their fans.

• Content Count:  928

I definitely agree with that point but next year should draw more fans in and if the team performs like some predict, we could sell out the lower bowl within a couple of years. The point is that this needs to be started this coming year, regarless of the visible red seats.

• Content Count:  1,158

Perhaps you guys can clarify this but I thought the SG shirts are for students only.  I can't imagine SG putting it's student funding towards an alumni project.  I admit my knowledge of how SG works is very limited.  Like I said, this project is going forward as is SBC.  So Seabull that's why I don't understand your point on the numbers and the alumni.  My understanding is only students will be able to buy these shirts.  That limits the potential number of people attending the game wearing those shirts.  But perhaps I am misunderstanding that.  Perhaps one of the students that are in SG can explain it better.

For the percentages, I wanted to clarify.  These message boards always have people throwing random numbers out there.  And yes it is a message board but that's how misinformation gets out there.  For some people, this is their only source of information on USF athletics which is why we spend as much time on here as we do, to help clarify points so the wrong information doesn't get out there.  And I understand what .5 means (statistics minor in college), but there is a big difference between 50 percent and 66 percent.  

Eric

Are there representatives of the SBC at orientation?

We try and have SBC representatives at all orientation events.  The last two years we've also had SBC members in the UE classes talking about getting involved.  They also have a boot at the patio Tuesday events, especially early in the year.

Eric

• Content Count:  12,293

but there is a big difference between 50 percent and 66 percent.  

Eric

yea...in your case about 20 people.  WOW.

i appreciate you coming on this board and sharing information with us fans.  i know you dont have to do that.  so i dont want you to think that i am just complaining for the helluva it.  if you go back on these boards you will see that for the past 3 seasons i have been trying to get people to wear green.  it helps with our national identity to have an orgainized fanbase.  it is amazing when you see a sea of school colors in the crowd.  like you would at ohio st, penn st, texas a&m.

i think its something that needs to be started by the ath department and grow from there.  just addressing the students is not going to do it.  ive been sitting in the student section for the past 5 seasons....green is WELL represented there.  i think we need to reach the season ticket holders, casual fans, etc.  

something as simple as a flyer that gets sent out with the season tickets asking them to wear green on one certain game.  just to put the idea in their heads.  its better then doing nothing.  or focusing on raising SBC enrollments by 120 students.  SBC will grow as the program grows.  i never knew about it when i was a student.  it was probably 30-40 people then.  friends tell friends, get them involved.  i dont think that should be where our ath department is focusing their resources.  

Nice math Rezz.  I'd say going from 180 members to 300 members is a little bit more than .5 increase.  Wait, let me quick do the math....divide 180 into 300......carry the 1.....move the decimal point......I get a 66% increase over our current membership.  

Eric

i didnt know how many members SBC had.  i was guessing maybe 200.  therefore, a .5 increase.  i didnt say a .5% increase.  i said, .5 as in 50%.  lets try that math, if you had 200 and it went up to 300 then your increase was 100...or half of the original amount.

all im saying is, you cant rely on just communicating with SBC and expect to make a significant impact through out the entire tampa bay area.  but i guess any opinion is just seen as meaningless chatter on a message board right?  i do my part, i wear a green shirt of some sort at every USF event i attend.  I have USF stickers on my truck, USF license plate.  and tell anyone that i bring to a game to wear green, i even give them one of my USF shirts to wear if they dont have anything.  but if you want to sit back and say..."hey are we trying, we talk to these 200 students about getting something together.  all you do is complain on a message board, so we are better then you"   ::)

people want to be a part of something exciting.  getting a whole stadium of people to wear the same color creates excitement.  it creates college atmosphere (which i dont think anyone would say currently exsists at RayJay outside of the student section)  it also makes people want to come back.

you work for the Ath Department, it was just shocking to hear that the offical expectations were to reach 300 students that probably dont need much encouragement to get excited about athletics.  i was kinda hoping for a little bigger vision then that.

Rezz:

First, I apologize for my sarcastic tone towards you.  It is not necessary and so many times that's what sends these threads to their ruin.  I hope you understand that I am also passionate about our athletic program and SBC is something we've worked really hard at for 5 years, including visits to SG and other student organizations, with less than ideal results.

The members of SBC and especially the current members of the board work their butt off to promote USF athletics, and I took your comments to be a pot shot at them and my response was uncalled for.

The shirt idea is going ahead no matter what I think of it and I'm not going to get in the way of it for sure.  That's not my job.  My original point of posting was to make sure the students on this board understood that SBC has that same purpose as the "Our Shirt" concept and much more as well.

I'll stay out of the rest of this conversation.  Go Bulls!

Eric

• Content Count:  928

Eric

Rezz:

First, I apologize for my sarcastic tone towards you.  It is not necessary and so many times that's what sends these threads to their ruin.  I hope you understand that I am also passionate about our athletic program and SBC is something we've worked really hard at for 5 years, including visits to SG and other student organizations, with less than ideal results.

The members of SBC and especially the current members of the board work their butt off to promote USF athletics, and I took your comments to be a pot shot at them and my response was uncalled for.

The shirt idea is going ahead no matter what I think of it and I'm not going to get in the way of it for sure.  That's not my job.  My original point of posting was to make sure the students on this board understood that SBC has that same purpose as the "Our Shirt" concept and much more as well.

I'll stay out of the rest of this conversation.  Go Bulls!

Eric

Eric,

I don't think that our goal was to quiet you (or at least mine wasn't). I don't know your exact position on campus but I know you are involved and are in contact with a lot of people. I value your input on this board and respect what you are working towards. The one thing that I want is what we all want, a unified and excited fanbase.

I just went back and re-read that article in the Oracle and did notice that it said SG would fund the shirts to be sold to students. I guess in my excitement earlier, I didn't catch that. That is not what I want either and I apologize for the assumption. The goal I am trying for is something deeper, something that goes beyond current students and even alumni.

You are right, it doesn't matter if there are 10,000 students wearing a SBC shirt or 10,000 students wearing a $5 shirt - what really matters is that there are 10,000 students plus 20,000-30,000 alum/fans wearing the green shirts. How can that be accomplished? My idea was to gets thousands of these shirts and make them available to the general public through marketing and USF support. Word of mouth advertising for the SBC isn't going to cut it, nor is selling $5 shirts only at the bookstore. It may have to start with the students but it cannot be limited to the students.

:GoBulls :GoBulls :GoBulls

Archived