Bowl Analysis... er... Texas Bowl News

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,674
  • Days Won:  13

I think some people need to look at where we are as a program, we are young and cant sell a ton of Bowl tix, The Gator will not happen next year. No way in hell.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

I see where you are going(i've heard it all before)...but there will come a time where the momentum will pick up along with attendance.  Look what happened to Rutgers this year.  You think they sold out games at home before they were ranked? They needed extra seats for that game on Thursday night.  If we continue to win, the fans WILL come.  USF fans will come out of the Wood-works, BELIEVE ME!!!  I think, IN A YEAR OR TWO, the Gator Bowl WILL be a very possible and convenient bowl destination for USF(along w/the Orange Bowl ::) )

The feats that we would have to accomplish to be CONSIDERED by the Gator Bowl would overshadow the attendance issue.  I have a strong feeling that they'd take us.

• Content Count:  4,879

Get 10 wins and everything works out.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

ND will be in the Cotton Bowl, you heard it here first.  They won't be good enough to be in the BCS, so they'll have around 8 wins.  Cotton Bowl gets to have ND every four years, and haven't had them since the early 90s.  Even a bad ND team will fill that place.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I see where you are going(i've heard it all before)...but there will come a time where the momentum will pick up along with attendance.  Look what happened to Rutgers this year.  You think they sold out games at home before they were ranked? They needed extra seats for that game on Thursday night.  If we continue to win, the fans WILL come.  USF fans will come out of the Wood-works, BELIEVE ME!!!  I think, IN A YEAR OR TWO, the Gator Bowl WILL be a very possible and convenient bowl destination for USF(along w/the Orange Bowl ::) )

The feats that we would have to accomplish to be CONSIDERED by the Gator Bowl would overshadow the attendance issue.  I have a strong feeling that they'd take us.

The only problem with that logic I have is the fact that I am not sure the fans coming out of the woodwork will be fans willing to spend hungreds, maybe thousands to travel to a bowl game.

The difference between Rutgers and USF is the fact that USF is surrounded by three football powers who have established fanbases. Further USF has had football for 10 years, many of our students before that time picked up another team to be fans of. Leading them to become hard core fans of other teams.

It will happen one day, I just don't see a rabid travelling fan base established at USF for a few years.

• Content Count:  118

Representatives of Conference USA and the Big 12 were on hand

So I guess the BE was not present for the announcement?

Does this mean that this year it is a CUSA team since it was BE last year?

• Content Count:  7,890

The bowl will feature a Big 12 conference school each year, and Conference USA and the Big East conference will alternate years.

sure does

Now back to where WE will play I say just win the BE and go to the BCS and dont worry about the other bowls.

• Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

Actually ND as stated before has a deal with Cotton, so would probably end there if not in BCS. IF the Gator takes the Big 12 then the BE team heads for Sun Bowl.

Papajohn will not have a MAC team over BE, wikipidia is wrong.

So if USF takes care of business at 10-2 or better we will be in a bowl.

• Content Count:  385

It will get bigger and I think we all know that.  I think that attendence will be a lot higher this year for perhaps no other reason than we have a much better home schedule.  As exciting as the games turned out to be, the schedule didn't look that great on paper.  

It takes a while to build a program and we have to remember that we are growing much faster than just about any other program.

• Content Count:  12,293

yea...10 years from now attendence will no longer be a factor in bowl games.

There are basically 3 waves of bulls fans....

me for example,

I am in the 2nd wave....

I graduated in 2004.  When I started at USF we were just getting started in d-1.  my junior year we got into a conference with C-USA.  Senior year we had the big win over Louisville.  So I got to witness some big time football, but not on a regular basis.

Now, I am about 1 year away from being stable enough in my career, family, and life to be a season ticket holder and donor.  I'm sure my story is similar to a lot of other Bulls out there.

The 1st wave of Bulls fans are all the alumni out there who went to USF when there wasnt a football team.  they are just sports fans.  and now that USF has a team they are huge fans, season ticket holders, and donors.  We are probably missing out on about 60-70% of this demographic because when they were students they didnt get to go to football games, therefore, can't relive the college days by going to a game and tailgating (this is what brings a lot of big program alums back every year)

the 3rd wave are the students here now who can witness big time football program about to be born, a lot of local excitement about the bulls that will only grow and grow in years to come.

We will be able to take full advantage of winning these students over into life long fans.  10 years from now they will have graduated and be productive alumni able to travel to away games, bowl games, etc.

Archived