UCF in the Big East?  Yeah, right!

crambone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Again... UCF who?

Memphis who? Marshall? ECU?

TV contract/BCS contract... when those are up, then we'll talk.

Memphis can easily become good in Football.  Marshall has the ex-associate coach of UF, so anything is possible there in regards to BBall.

When O'Liar leaves UCF, maybe they can pickup football.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,259

The only ones worth it would be Memphis or ECU. ECU could definitly become good in football, so could memphis, both have good followings and are in areas that have no big east teams right now. We really just need 9 teams, 10 at the most, so id say one of them.

My first choice besides obviously notre dame which will never happen would be Villanova moving up to 1a, theyd need a new stadium but they could be good as our 9th team, and we wouldnt have to add any schools to the conference for that. I dont think nova has the support to make the jump but if they did we'd be fine, so imo it should be Memphis first then ECU if we want 10.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,319
  • Days Won:  11

It's amazing how just two years has changed our outlook as a fan base. I read things about keeping UCF mid-major, or how they just aren't in the same league, or how they don't deserve to be on our level, yet it's amazing to think we're only a few seasons out from being in CUSA, and before that not even D-1A. My first year at USF was the first year we were in CUSA. We played Southern Miss and such, and a HUGE game for us was a year or two later, Bowling Green. If someone had spoken to Mike T. of the Big East about us like we speak about UCF, we might still be stuck in CUSA. Someone gave us a shot to run with the BCS schools and we're very fortunate to have it and to be taking advantage of it. UCF is simply where we were just a few years ago, and I don't think they should be denied the chance that we got, because that's like saying we never deserved the chance to be a BCS school.

That being said, I do kinda like that we own UCF ;-)

Faza,

You are a good, logical fan and you hit the nail on the head. Its good that you are classy about it. You do own us as of now, but at least you recognize your roots. Otherwise, you are like a poor person that worked to get rich and forgot all his friends and history when he was poor.

Dont forget, that UCF has struggled for years with little or no budget for football. Recruiting dollars were zilch yet we still lined up against the powers of the SEC/ACC and played some very good games. We have managed to develop some great players and all this with nothing. To be honest UCF is/was at some of its worse times. Do you think the UCF team now could even stand-up to an SEC team when they lose to pitt 52-7 or whatever. Things are getting better and better up north. We are working towards something big. Its amazing what USF has done in 10 years. Everything was planned right and all the pieces fell in the right place. USF knew what it wanted and structured a strategy as such. UCF was never to be thought of as a Football school. There was never a master plan. Just and idiot AD who stayed independent rather than make the proper moves back in the day. WE do deserve a shot and hopefully we get one. Much respect to you

Thanks, bud. And, we really don't have a Daunte Culpepper that we can point to yet like UCF does. We've got a few assorted good professional players, Kawika, Chucky, and if they'd JUST let him play, Andre Hall. Of course there's others - I'll never forget JR Reed, who DID have a great first season and I think would have gone on to be an NFL great. We've also yet to prove anything but unsuccessful as a BCS school in men's basketball, though women's basketball (thanks to Jose Fernandez) certainly carried the torch, and some others like baseball and softball have been doing pretty well too. I think UCF deserves a chance to be BCS, however, I'd be worried that would impact our recruiting (because it will), and I think folks on this board are defensive because of fears like that too. If we REALLY WERE so far above UCF, we wouldn't feel the need to smacktalk and point out the ways we're better; if we were so better, we'd treat UCF like UF would treat FAMU, or UNC would treat ECU. But we don't, because we're only two years removed from being in the same place UCF is.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The only ones worth it would be Memphis or ECU. ECU could definitly become good in football, so could memphis, both have good followings and are in areas that have no big east teams right now. We really just need 9 teams, 10 at the most, so id say one of them.

My first choice besides obviously notre dame which will never happen would be Villanova moving up to 1a, theyd need a new stadium but they could be good as our 9th team, and we wouldnt have to add any schools to the conference for that. I dont think nova has the support to make the jump but if they did we'd be fine, so imo it should be Memphis first then ECU if we want 10.

See, in a post like this you should just say "Anyone BUT UCF"

It's NOT about good teams at this point for the BE, we have shown we can compete nationally. What the BE would look for in expansion are schools that:

1) will make them money

2) will give them exposure

3) are willing to spend to keep the program going.

Orlando is the 17th rated TV market. IF (and it is still a BIG if) the BE ever needed to expand for football they are going to go after the market that does give them an advantage in their next TV Contract.

In all seriousness the Tampa market was THE biggest factor in USF's inclusion in the BE restructuring. Yes USF was a growing program etc. But at the time So. Miss and Memphis had had much more successful campaigns in 2003 in football; and Memphis had a history in basketball.

What it really came down to. Memphis is the 53rd TV market, Hattisburg is in the 150s. What is going to be the BEST negotiating chip for the BE at the NEXT TV contract.

The exact same analysis will go into any future expansion. All the contenders are about the same in average attendance for the money sport (football) all have similar success and disappointments...It will come down to TV market. It's the way the BE is going to make their most money.

The thing is we've beaten UCF twice with similar talent level of players. Why are people on this board so scared and so defensive of the Knights? We own them in EVERYTHING, enjoy it! And if they are ever in the Big East, more power to them, we'll still own them.

For now we need to worry about FSU and UF taking all the good recruits from the Tampa area.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Also, "we" cannot just lop off 2 non-football schools.  The Big East deal is to have an equal number of football and non-football schools.  That was why we had to wait until BC left for our invite.

As for adding teams, the key is adding teams which will generate revenue for the conference.  If there is no additional money but we add 2 teams we will have 20 percent less money.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Also, "we" cannot just lop off 2 non-football schools.  The Big East deal is to have an equal number of football and non-football schools.  That was why we had to wait until BC left for our invite.

As for adding teams, the key is adding teams which will generate revenue for the conference.  If there is no additional money but we add 2 teams we will have 20 percent less money.

But if you add two major TV markets (Dallas and Orlando) you get a bigger football TV contract, which as nice as the basketball TV contract is would be a lot more per team.

Any expansion talk by me is under the assumption that the BE basketball and football schools split.

• Content Count:  1,812

It's amazing how just two years has changed our outlook as a fan base. I read things about keeping UCF mid-major, or how they just aren't in the same league, or how they don't deserve to be on our level, yet it's amazing to think we're only a few seasons out from being in CUSA, and before that not even D-1A. My first year at USF was the first year we were in CUSA. We played Southern Miss and such, and a HUGE game for us was a year or two later, Bowling Green. If someone had spoken to Mike T. of the Big East about us like we speak about UCF, we might still be stuck in CUSA. Someone gave us a shot to run with the BCS schools and we're very fortunate to have it and to be taking advantage of it. UCF is simply where we were just a few years ago, and I don't think they should be denied the chance that we got, because that's like saying we never deserved the chance to be a BCS school.

That being said, I do kinda like that we own UCF ;-)

UCF has had 30 years to get an opportunity to play their way into a major conference, we got them into CUSA by leaving. USF has come out of the gate looking at being a premier program UCF has settled for mediocrity and have themselves to blame.

Pipe dream time here: Penn State and ND. That would be a very financially rewarding football conference and still allow all programs to play a nice schedule out of conference.

• Content Count:  1,812

Bringing in any CUSA team would water down the football (weakest part) of the conference as they have not been able to beat a Big East team in a while. UCiF has never beaten a current member of BE. USF had beaten CUSA teams that were moving and Pitt before they went to BE.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

About 25% of you are talking out of your ass.

Exactly... the ones out of touch with reality that are saying UCF should be invited to the BE if the occasion arises.

Records in 2006 for football (regular season)

[highlight]Worst UCF team in 8 years from a talent perspective[/highlight]

Memphis: 2-10 (conf 1-7) Loss to UCF 26-24

UCF:        4-8

So, if a team goes 0-11 with better talent than a team that went 4-8 that would mean the coach sucks...

In addition, UCF coming to the BE will be good for USF.

No, it won't .... no matter how much the chest pounding, macho Bulls fans think it will.

• Content Count:  123

Fanatic - You are drinking Brandon's kool-aid when it comes to recruiting.

Omni,

I am not drinking kool-aid. I am merely comparing the most renown HS recruiting service for college football: Rivals. Noticed that I said "on-paper". I said this because we really wont know much about the two most recent classes that GOL had until another two years. On paper, we werent that far behind USF in recruiting ----> ON PAPER.

AS a UCF fanatic I have followed UCF recruiting for years. Take a look at c/o 2004 and c/o 2005 when we were transitioning coaches. Those are the players on the field right now. Think that we may get better? If rivals rankings translated to good teams than we obviously would. Going from literally all 2 stars with little names in all-state , all-district players to a sufficient amount of three-star all-dade, all-state 6A is a big difference. I am not going to discount what you guys have accomplished, but if you want to try and discount fact, by all means do so.

I never said that paper rankings mean more wins, but that on paper we are recruiting better and better and that in years past we would NEVER hear our names spoken consistently with quality BCS programs. In addition, you should know that the rival articles were written by other authors, not Brandon.

I am sure USF keeps hearing a better and better things from recruits about USF as USF does so many important things. The same thing is happening to us.

In conclusion, I still think we have a good shot at a BCS conference when looking at other programs.

Archived