UCF in the Big East?  Yeah, right!

crambone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

If the BE does split ND will move with the Football Schools.  This is because of the Bowl agreements and the fact that a playoff might be instituted (they may need a conference affliation, especially if its a eight team playoff).

Under those circumstances, the BE would look to expand to another school.  If you look at the BE football schools you will see that there is only one in each state.  I thnk that the BE keeps that strategy.  It means more exposure overall.

With that in mind I think that the BE would look at Memphis (Tenn.), S. Miss (Miss), ECU (N Car.), NIU (Ill).  They will not go west of the Mississippi.  Of these I thinl that Memphis and NIU would be the leading candidiates.  Memphis because of name recoginition.  NIU because of Chicago (which is why DePaul is in the BE).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

If the BE does split ND will move with the Football Schools.  This is because of the Bowl agreements and the fact that a playoff might be instituted (they may need a conference affliation, especially if its a eight team playoff).

Under those circumstances, the BE would look to expand to another school.  If you look at the BE football schools you will see that there is only one in each state.  I thnk that the BE keeps that strategy.  It means more exposure overall.

With that in mind I think that the BE would look at Memphis (Tenn.), S. Miss (Miss), ECU (N Car.), NIU (Ill).  They will not go west of the Mississippi.  Of these I thinl that Memphis and NIU would be the leading candidiates.  Memphis because of name recoginition.  NIU because of Chicago (which is why DePaul is in the BE).

No, Notre Dame will most definitly not be joining the Big East. If they join ANY conference it would be the Big 10.

Notre Dame is THE biggest ratings draw in college football, when they are around ratings are astronomical. Therefore they will not be left out of any playoff scenerio if it ever happens as in Independent. If Notre Dame ever tried to join the BE for football the Big 10 would counter with a drop your pants offer that the Big East couldn't offer. You must remember 3 of Notre Dames biggest rivals are in the Big 10. (Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and the occasional game with Northwestern)

As for NIU, they have had some football success, but don't let that be a guage of the athletic department. They are terrible in most sports and their athletic budget is actually one of the worst in the MAC. The Chicago affiliation would be nice, but I really doubt they will be willing to spend the money required to upgrade themselves to be included in the Big East.

I think of 4 logical schools and a couple more that would actually have to be considered.

My 1st choice: TCU - The football program is one of the best in the nonBCS. The TV Market is top 20 and the schools other athletic programs are successful. Their baseball team is leading the MWC, their women's basketball team has made the NCAA the last 7 years, etc.

2nd - UCF - New Facilities for the 3 major sports, location, and TV market have been discussed above.

3rd - Memphis - They have some history in football, a great basketball past. Basketball facilities are some of the best in the country(practice facility that is on campus too). Football is looking at getting a new stadium. Decent, not great, programs elsewhere. They have shown the tendancy to spend on a BCS level. Only problem...TV market ranked 53rd

4th - Marshall - I only say this because I know the governor of WV will be heavily involved (See the football game). It would nto shock me if they are the 1st team to make the jump if expansion ever happens. Not a great sports school now, but they have started what will be a extensive and expensive renovation to the campus facilities.

Others: ECU (no TV market); Southern Miss (no TV market); Tulane (decreased athletic spending heavily since 2001); Tulsa (distance)

• Content Count:  3,574

Do you really think Memphis would want to leave a basketball situation where they dominate the league every year?

Do bears $hit in the woods?

They have no competition.  Also, a recent article mentioned how Memphis is worried about this... even the fact of possibly losing their coach down the road.

Then it's all about MONEY MONEY MONEY.

The ultimate goal for them is to win the NC.  Going up against top competition will get them prepared for the tourney.

It doesn't help them when they beat the 2nd ranked CDOA team by 20 on the road.

The end.

Memphis: 2-10 (conf 1-7) Loss to UCF 26-24

UCF:        4-8

They are only going to get worse. The only time Memphis was good in the last 5 years was with DeAngelo Williams. Here is the breakdown

What about UCF?

8 wins in 2005 and then 4 wins in 2006?  A 2006 team that was supposed to be better than the 2005 team?  More experience, etc.?

Ya, hmmmm, if UCF was in the BE are recruiting would be much,much better. On paper we are already very close to recruiting at USFs level in CUSA. I think with all the facilities, if UCF was in the BE we would have a much better class. Already recruits are saying their top3 are UF, UM, UCF or UM, FSU, UCF. Go to rivals and do some research yourself. As a kid going to college there is something to be said about resort-style living, practice fields, stadium, and mini-mall all within a walking distance of one another. I agree that USF should fight tooth and nail about letting UCF in. If UCF gets BCS status there will be alot more competition in recruiting.

Pass the kool-aid... please.

Thank you.

• Content Count:  400

The Big East took a gamble on USF and they benefited by retaining presence in the state of FLA.  Like adopting any program, it will be a gamble.  I think bringing in UCF as well as Marshall would pay off big time in the grand scheme of things. The only issue is the basketball side of things.  If we can lop off 2 basketball-only Big East teams and replace them with UCF and Marshall, it can work.

And all this talk of "giving UCF the same opportunity we have" is a bunch of crap.  Stop being afraid of UCF.  Your fear is only proving that you have doubt in the direction of this program.  If Rice joined the Big 12, you think Texas would be shaking in its boots?  Hell, Baylor offers the same opportunity that Texas and Texas A&M do, yet you don't hear those programs whining about trying to distance themselves from Baylor.  A guaranteed in-conference sell out game with rivalry implications that will garner national attention is not a bad thing.

• Content Count:  10,219

There is one problem with this opinion.  Miami was already a BCS program before joining the ACC.  Why would we give UCF the format to compete on an equal footing with USF.  Why would we add a 5th FL BCS school to compete for recruits with.  Why would we add competition when we are currently separting ourselves from all the non BCS schools to become the big 4.  Why would we slow down our ascent to the top, and give the knights a forum to say that they are equal with us.  You can bet your rear end the Bulls would fight UCF tooth and nail.  Since the bulls are already a member, and this has to be agreed upon and voted upon by the members, as long as Leavitt, Woolard, etc. are screaming no from the top of their lungs, UCF will never get in, period.  That is a fact, Jack.  Do you ever think WVU would let Marshall in.  You know the answer to that question.  So why does anyone think this would be a good thing. never, ever, ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever let UCF in the BE.    

Who is to say that they'd slow down our progress?  Do you know how much talent this state has?  The state of Florida has won a college football national championship 9 times in the past 25 yrs.  I have faith in our program and coaching staff.  I'm not afraid of UCF.  If anything, it would make our games that much more meaningful and give us more exposure.

Besides, I think 8 teams in a BCS conference is ridiculous.  I think we need at least 10.

10 to split the money 8 is splitting right now

besides ND no other team would increase the BE revenue stream so bring ucf or anyone in would take away resource$$$$ from us and we need every $ we can get to get our foundation in ALL sports built.

Now 5 years from now i would fell very differently if we have pushed into the elite of the BE.

until then NO.

• Content Count:  10,219

cjl would also want buffulo added cuse would nix that

and Ohio added  UL and cinci would nix that

and Umass added  Uconn would nix that

and Penn added pitt would nix that

get the picture...none of these teams add value to the football product.

other option go to 12 and have a championship game...$$$ does not justify it...so no additions unless and until the BE breaks up and/or the BCS partners forces the issue.

• Content Count:  1,260

I find these type of threads amusing. We're only now proving we belong in the Big East ourselves in football but in Basketball we haven't done a thing yet to justify being in the big leagues. Sure we brought a fertile recruiting ground and TV market with us...but c'mon...let's not get too full of ourselves.

I certainly am no Knight fan, wouldn't want them to join us in the BE, and don't think it would happen anytime soon...but based on their overall demographics and the strengths of their overall athletic program compared to us...I find it funny that OUR fans are the ones trying to be the gatekeepers of the Big East. We're doing better than them...but let's get a grip. Was that Kentucky Wesleyan game so long ago??  ::) Why don't we try to have a Basketball team with an in conference record better than .500 and a football team with a bowl berth better than the Meineke Car Care Bowl first?...

• Content Count:  2,726

True Blade...but we are mainly talking about money and the betterment of our program.  We need to do everything possible to distance ourselves from our "rivals" or better yet, in-state recruiting competition.  It is because the Kentucky Wesleyan Game was such a short time ago that we should take this attitude.  

"TOO MANY COOKS SPOIL THE BROTH!"

GO BULLS!!!

Archived