UCF in the Big East?  Yeah, right!

crambone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

The biggest problem for UCF is that the BE has already gotten a florida presence by adding USF.

remember USF was chosen to BE after both Cincy and UL had been taken and had BC not bolted we might be here in CUSA with them or they could hve been chosen to BE as football only.

I think that if they want to expand Memphis and ECU would be bigger targets because they bring in new areas.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

If the Big East expands, it would occur after a split which won't happen until after the current TV contract.  In that case ND would go with the football schools because of bowl contracts.  Also, beginning in 2010, ND must schedule 4 BE games a year as part of that contract.  

If another school is added, the first choice would probably be Memphis.  The BE took Cinci over Memphis because of the television market.  It is very unlikely to take UCF because the BE prefers to have only one school in each state, this gives the BE greater exposure.

Some of the schools that actually discussed during the last  change included S. Miss, Marshall, and ECU.  UCF was not invited to make a presentation to the BE conference.

• Content Count:  4,642

Would the BE really add another BB team?  Wasn't one of the complaints by other coaches that the 16 team conference was too big (when we joined)?  Is everyone only talking about only adding a FB team?

I agree, Memphis would be a better fit, with the BB team addition as my arguement, since making a 16 team conference into 17 would only be feasible if we could add a really good BB team.

This is all assuming that a school to get invited would have every sport to the BE just as we did.

• Content Count:  3,574

We're talking about a potential expansion later down the road.

Example... after the TV contract is up (just one example that may lead to realignment).

Therefore, we wouldn't have 17 BBall schools because it's a strong possibility that the conference will split in two.

• Content Count:  928

Why wouldn't teams that don't suck like Navy be considered? Why would we want to add crappy teams to a conference that already has a tough enough time proving itself?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Why wouldn't teams that don't suck like Navy be considered? Why would we want to add crappy teams to a conference that already has a tough enough time proving itself?

Navy and Army have stated they wish to remain independent in the past. Army was in CUSA but dropped their membership.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Laugh all you want, but ECU would be a solid choice if we should ever add another team.

• Content Count:  1,981

Laugh all you want, but ECU would be a solid choice if we should ever add another team.

ECU and their fan base reminds me a lot to us. They are in a state where they have to compete with the other big schools, and their fans are always complaining about not getting any in-state recognition. They are a lot more delusional than us but they seem to have the same grassroots passion that we have for our school.  I don't know how I feel about adding them, they did do a lot of great things in the 90's though.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Memphis? Is the Big East really going to take Memphis' 47th ranked TV market for the 19th in Orlando because their football team won a few more games?

I doubt it, I don't think Memphis' football program is so much more recognized or better than UCF's that it's gonna win them over. And if expansion happens, it will be because basketball was TOO strong and broke apart. I don't forsee Cuse, UConn being too thrilled about bringing another basketball school in.

Objectively, UCF will probably be choice A because of the TV market, facilities, and student body size.

That being said,  expansion isn't happening for a very long time, if ever.

If teams are added because the hoops schools split then it would be crazy NOT to pick Memphis as the first addition to get back some of the basketball clout lost. UCF would probably be added too but only as a lesser of a lot of evils.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

You'd still have Cuse, UConn, Cincy, and Louisville. I think basketball clout will be safe.

Archived