Big Trouble in Little Arkansas

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

During the conversations Tuesday, it was determined that official notice was received confidentially of results of random drug testing of student-athletes, including basketball players. The random drug testing, which is a normal operating procedure of the athletic department, took place March 27. The results were officially received on March 29, but appropriate personnel did not receive notification until Tuesday.

The athletic department was informed that two basketball players tested positive for substance abuse, specifically marijuana usage. “We have a strict policy in place to address substance abuse,” according to Dr. White. Names of the student-athletes and any additional information are protected under federal privacy laws. (Attached to the press release is the Policy on Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Education and Testing.)

A second issue discussed during the Tuesday conversation between Chancellor White and Coach Altman was the academic record of student-athletes. Currently, one basketball student-athlete is under suspension from team activities due to academic reasons. “Any academically at-risk student is reported immediately to each coach. Subsequently, we monitor the academic performance of these students and hold meetings weekly to evaluate their progress,” according to Dr. White.

“During my conversations with Coach Altman, I told him that we would make any changes he deemed necessary that would enhance the academic standing of our students,” said Dr. White. The University of Arkansas has not had a basketball player academically ineligible for 20 years, according to the sports information department.

Link on Arkansas Official Site

Things that make you go hmmm...  not sure what to think about this.  

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Love the reference to the great Kurt Russell movie.  Good stuff.

• Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

With the news breaking Wednesday out of Fayetteville, Ark., that two Arkansas players tested positive for marijuana - the day after Stan Heath was fired - and another player has been ruled academically ineligible, Heath discussed several issues concerning the Arkansas program with KNWA-TV.

Heath discussed several topics during an extensive interview with KNWA-TV, including rumors of drug use among players, ineligible players and accusations of players receiving improper benefits. There are no formal allegations against Heath, but Heath volunteered to do the interview with the Arkansas television station to clear the air as it appears some Razorback fans are trying to blame Heath for the program’s current problems which - I repeat and stress - from all indications occurred AFTER Heath was fired March 26.

“Under my tenure, since being the head coach there has been no player – no player – that has received anything outside the NCAA rules,†Heath told KNWA-TV. “Whether once I left, I don’t know, I don’t think that would be the case.

“I don’t run programs like that. Anyone saying those things are flat out lying. Stan Heath runs a clean ship.† 

To listen to the entire interview from KNWA-TV with Heath that was conducted on Wednesday, click on this... http://www.knwa.com/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=3547

From... http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/heath-disputes-allegations/

• Content Count:  477

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

This guy is the best basketball coach we have seen since the VCR...

nothing is going to rain on this parade.

Heath is going to get us to 8-8 in the conference...

go get um coach.

mcmurphy is just getting out of control.

the guy needs to have a beer and just relax.

who cares.

Just get the ball to Gransberry coach and find us a guard who can score.

• Content Count:  2,016

Funny,  when Arkansas fired Nolan Richardson, there were rumors of drug use and academic inelibility and trouble with the law.  Turns out the only problem was that the team had no talent on it.   I have a feeling that this is only a smoke screen to cover the school and distract from its embarassment of firing Heath without having a big name coach to follow up.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Don't go "Overboard."

Don't go "Overboard."

Or "Captain Ron" will make an "Executive Decision" to go "Sky High" on you... and smazza won't be able to "Escape from LA"...

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

And you dont want to end up in a "TOMBSTONE"

Archived