WNBA Draft Today at 1pm!  Go Jess!!

gurlybull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  996
  • Days Won:  0

Just a heads up for all of you.  THe WNBA draft starts at 1pm on ESPN2 and J.D. is expected to go first or second round!  Make sure you catch it and root for her!!  GO BULLS!!    ;D

-Gurly

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I have a good feeling about her going in Rd. 1.  Best of luck to her.  She's a class act and role model, and will represent USF well on the next level.

• Content Count:  2,523

Just curious, does anyone have a clue what the women make playing for the WNBA?  I've never heard anything so it would be interesting to know.  

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I heard a comment on the women's championship that Candace Parker would make more money going to Russia.  They pay up to a million bucks for star players over there.  I had no idea women's hoops was big over there.

C.P. wont leave Tennessee.  She has one more year....  I'm not sure about paychecks though...I'd be interested to find out...

http://ask.yahoo.com/20041216.html

The men of the NBA are among the highest paid employees on the planet, making an average of almost $4 million each for the 2004-05 season, according to the Players Union. The women of the WNBA, on the other hand, earned on average between $46,000 (says the union) and $60,000 for the season (says the league).

It certainly seems unfair that WNBA MVP Lauren Jackson can make a maximum of $87,000 per year (according to the latest collective bargaining agreement), while perennial NBA disappointment Shawn Bradley is guaranteed a minimum of $1,100,000. But consider the following: average NBA attendance is about 17,000 per game, while the WNBA brings in 10,000. The average NBA ticket price is over $45, the WNBA just $15.

Then of course, there's the TV money. And in last year's contract dispute that delayed the start of the woman's season, the league claimed it had never turned a profit. While many WNBA players said they were disappointed with the final agreement, they did gain some new benefits, including the right of free agency and a less restrictive list of products they can endorse.

Still, with NBA yearly salaries ranging as high as a whopping $28 million for Kevin Garnett in 2003, some may feel compelled to sign a petition urging the WNBA to cough up a little more dough for the ladies.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

http://ask.yahoo.com/20041216.html

The men of the NBA are among the highest paid employees on the planet, making an average of almost $4 million each for the 2004-05 season, according to the Players Union. The women of the WNBA, on the other hand, earned on average between $46,000 (says the union) and $60,000 for the season (says the league).

It certainly seems unfair that WNBA MVP Lauren Jackson can make a maximum of $87,000 per year (according to the latest collective bargaining agreement), while perennial NBA disappointment Shawn Bradley is guaranteed a minimum of $1,100,000. But consider the following: average NBA attendance is about 17,000 per game, while the WNBA brings in 10,000. The average NBA ticket price is over $45, the WNBA just $15.

Then of course, there's the TV money. And in last year's contract dispute that delayed the start of the woman's season, the league claimed it had never turned a profit. While many WNBA players said they were disappointed with the final agreement, they did gain some new benefits, including the right of free agency and a less restrictive list of products they can endorse.

Still, with NBA yearly salaries ranging as high as a whopping $28 million for Kevin Garnett in 2003, some may feel compelled to sign a petition urging the WNBA to cough up a little more dough for the ladies.

Wow, i had no idea the women got that little.  that is sad.  

I'd go to Russia too.  87k for a star vs 1 million... seems like a pretty easy decision.  Time for Candace parker to buy a "Rosetta Stone - Learn Russian" cd  ;)

• Content Count:  2,523

So they're making what anyone should be making for playing basketball!  Basketball players are the most overrated athletes on the planet in my opinion.  

I agree though I think they should be making more than that.  The NBA pays WAY WAY WAY too much, but I think somewhere between 100 & 300 thousand is reasonable for these ladies.  Oh well, I wish we had a team here...

• Content Count:  3,078

i read Diana Taurasi saying she would make ~$45,000 from the WNBA this year, but almost $100,000 a month overseas

Archived