Chech out Auman: Beverly may copme to USF!

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

New coach to push USF forward early, often

Heath expects quick results in Big East.

By GREG AUMAN

Published April 4, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADVERTISEMENT

Sports News Video

TAMPA - Stan Heath isn't one to waste any time.

"We're going to win," USF's new basketball coach said Tuesday at his first news conference. "And we're going to win real soon, a lot sooner than a lot of people think. For some people, they look at things differently. For me, I see just great possibilities."

How quickly is Heath getting to work? By the time you read this, he likely has already started his first practice, scheduled for 7 this morning.

"I want to make sure they knew we want to hit the ground running," he said. "They get a feel for me, I get a feel for them. We're not going to sit around waiting."

As the 42-year-old was introduced Tuesday in a packed room at USF's athletic facility, Bulls fans got a first glimpse of their new coach: energetic, upbeat and excited about his future.

"I'm humbled. I'm really excited to be here," said Heath, wearing a gray suit and green tie. "I want to thank my family. You go through highs and lows in this profession, and you cry both ways. You cry when you're sad and you cry when you're happy, and believe me, we're crying happy right now."

So are Bulls fans, who have endured a 4-28 record in two seasons in the Big East. Heath stood out among USF's top candidates because he's proved he can win in a competitive, deep conference like he'll face at USF.

"Watching the SEC championship against Florida, I said, 'God, I wish we could get this guy.' Next thing I know, he's available. I got goose bumps," said Richard Gonzmart, president of the Columbia Restaurant and a prominent USF supporter. "I was in a meeting the other day and a booster called with USF news. I felt like it was the Vatican: The smoke's going up. We must have a new pope."

USF's financial commitment to Heath is a significant upgrade. He'll make nearly triple what Robert McCullum made, with annual compensation of $680,400, not including incentives. Add $375,000 for his assistants, and the Bulls are committing more than $1-million a year to basketball coaches.

"We're in this league, and we need to commit to being in this league to be able to have success in this league," athletic director Doug Woolard said.

Heath's hiring was well-received within the basketball community, touted as a proven recruiter with a history of success at a high level.

"I think it's a great hire," ESPN analyst **** Vitale said. "I had talked to him during the process and told him to jump right on that. He's the perfect hire for them. I think he got a raw deal at Arkansas, and I think they got themselves a little coup, this late, to get someone of his quality."

Winning is a big part of his job, but Heath is also committed to getting the community to embrace USF. By Tuesday night, he had made appearances on local and national radio shows and thrown out the first pitch at a USF baseball game.

"We've got to make this, when winter comes, the thing to do," Heath said. "It's a goal of mine to put a great product out there, to put out a team that's exciting, a team that's going to play hard, a team that's going to play pressure basketball. What does that mean? It means we're going to run. It means we're going to get in your face and guard you. It means we're going to attack you all the time. That's how we want to play."

Landing Heath was equal parts dogged pursuit and good fortune. He was fired by Arkansas on March 26, and the next day, Woolard got a call from Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese, recommending Heath. By Wednesday, Woolard and Heath had arranged a meeting at the Final Four in Atlanta. On Thursday, Woolard was about to board a cab at Atlanta's airport when he spotted Heath by chance.

"Whether the stars aligned for whatever, the first coach I saw in Atlanta was Stan," he said.

Heath said: "He said, 'Coach Heath?' I didn't know who he was, so it was good that he did. Boy, things happen for a reason. It was perfect timing."

By Tuesday night, Arkansas wasn't looking any better. Creighton coach Dana Altman, who accepted the job Monday as Heath's successor, had changed his mind and turned down the job. That could cost the Hogs guard Patrick Beverley, the SEC freshman of the year, who had said Monday that he was staying at Arkansas, but now could follow Heath to USF.

"Now the coach is gone again," his mother, Lisa, said Tuesday. "Stan was a great coach, and a huge reason he chose Arkansas. He's like a father figure, someone he learned from on and off the court. He was devastated when he found Coach Heath had left. I'm going to go back down this weekend, and we'll decide what to do."

Greg Auman can be reached at auman@sptimes.com or 813 226-3346. View his blog at blogs.tampabay.com/usf.

• Content Count:  5,691

Easy decision...go on down to Tampa

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

and we probably are going to get jenirro bush, maybe

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

:link

Where did you see that we would probably get Bush?

I haven't seen that in print anywhere?  is it a gut feeling?  

He did open up his recruiting again, and obviously there is a connection to heath... but I haven't seen anything to suggest "Probably".

Rivals is showing UConn and FSU as leaders, but that was probably prior to Heath falling up stairs.

• Content Count:  1,981

Doubt Beverly would transfer.  Why would he sit out coming off a great season? It makes no sense.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I just don't see a guy like Beverly's willing to take a year off to transfer down here. He's will probably be a 1st rounder after next seasona and jumpt to the NBA. When all is said and done I believe he stays at Arkansas. But don't fear USF will have plenty of talent coming in over the next few years.

We'll be fine, with or without Beverley, but don't discount the fact that he really really likes Stan Heath.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

He did open up his recruiting again, and obviously there is a connection to heath... but I haven't seen anything to suggest "Probably".

Rivals is showing UConn and FSU as leaders, but that was probably prior to Heath falling up stairs.

from the trib

Heath said he has not decided on his assistants, but could bring his entire staff from Arkansas. Heath said his No.1 priority was recruiting - the Bulls have three available scholarships.

One could be used on Jenirro Bush, a forward from East Oktibbeha High in Crawford, Miss., who verbally committed to Arkansas but said Tuesday he is undecided between USF, Ole Miss, Virginia and Utah.

we could be getting him, if so it would be huge

• Content Count:  518

I just don't see a guy like Beverly's willing to take a year off to transfer down here. He's will probably be a 1st rounder after next seasona and jumpt to the NBA. When all is said and done I believe he stays at Arkansas. But don't fear USF will have plenty of talent coming in over the next few years.

Where have you seen anything about Beverley and the NBA?  Just curious, nothing about him screams an early jump to the NBA.

Thanks for the update dwo... that was the first i've seen it in print.  Certainly good to be listed now.

from the trib

Heath said he has not decided on his assistants, but could bring his entire staff from Arkansas. Heath said his No.1 priority was recruiting - the Bulls have three available scholarships.

One could be used on Jenirro Bush, a forward from East Oktibbeha High in Crawford, Miss., who verbally committed to Arkansas but said Tuesday he is undecided between USF, Ole Miss, Virginia and Utah.

we could be getting him, if so it would be huge

Archived