USF's In-their-Prime One-on-one Tourney

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I like these type of topics... they take some of the boredom out of these few months of down time.

I wish August were here...  this board would be rocking and smazza would hit 30000 posts ;)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velcro

• Omniscientbull

• bulls96go

• bullballer

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S. Bien

Let me put it this way.  I am 5-11, and unfortunately in my mid-30's, but when I was younger I was pretty decent at basketball.  If I was playing 1-on-1 with a guy that was even say 5 inches taller if he tried to post me up, and had no face up moves then I'd have killed him.

A perfect example I have three friends ones 6-4, the other two are 6-5.  They played on some of the Rec Leagues with me, we used to play Temple Terrace Rec, and South St. Pete.  Two of those guys were very traditional big men, back me down, no face up moves, below average jumpers.  I would kill them in 1-1.  If they tried to back me up I would take away their strong side and as soon as they began their turnaround I would either swat it away, or fade for a block, and I was quicker to the rebound.  The third guy, was 6-5 but he was more of a quick slasher, that could dribble with both hands, decent post up, but an incredible shooter.  I could rarely beat him because he matched my quickness.

So it depends who's going against who.  I would say that BB would make an average 1-1 player.  Remember this is all relative, BB is a very talented kid so we are talking about matching up against another equal talent.  Therefore, relatively speaking BB is average, so would Leather.  I'd actually think that a guy like Cedric Smith could be more dominating, he had a good two hand dribble, had post ability, and could shoot well outside.  Basically no one in the modern era was ever a complete enough player to be a devastating 1-1 player.

Again, sorry no one had the privilege of seeing Bradley or Grier.  They were silky smooth, complete players that were very athletic.  It was just a pity they only got to play together for a year.  I would have loved to see Greier on that team in 82-83 when Charlie hit his stride, and we went 22-10.  We made the NIT, but that year we had about 6 losses that were within 6pts.  Could you imagine Grier, and Bradley, playing with freshman phenom Kitchen.  Our destiny might have changed with an NCAA visit much earlier.