USF's In-their-Prime One-on-one Tourney

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

(We vote to see who moves on to the next round.)

Let's choose ten players, divided into two groups, the old-timers (Before Seth) versus the modern era (Seth and after).

Here is my list.

Old-timers

Bradley, Shahid, Dobras, Alexander, Atkins

Modern era

B.B., Tron, Baxter, Leather, Baker

Who are your players?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Velcro

• Omniscientbull

• bulls96go

• bullballer

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

I have come up with a list of players that I think would be the most competitive in a one-on-one tourny but they don't fit into the old/modern set-up.  Since there are many more players before Seth (and since I am most assuredly older than you) I have more before players listed.  Also, I haven't been blown away by the after talent.  So, here's what I came up with:

Tony Grier  6-3  G

Vince Reynolds  6-9  F

Charlie Bradley  6-6  G/F

Derek Sharp  6-1  G

Radenko Dobras  6-7  G

Fred Lewis  6-7  F

Jesse Salters  6-6  F

Shaddrick Jenkins  6-3  G

Altron Jackson  6-6  F

BB Waldon  6-8  F

Chucky Atkins  5-11  G

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

good call basketbull, on Leather... i totally forgot to think of players presently on the team.  

I'm not going to make an old school list since i don't know any old school players except Atkins, he was gone the year right before i arrived at usf.

So since 96...

Baxter

Leather

Tron

BB

honorable mention

Mike Bernard - for the fear factor... i wouldn't want to defend the post against him, especially if i was Tron...yikes.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Velcro - your list is scarry.  I think I could guard some of those guys one on one.  None of them have handles.  If you were calling palming, double dribble and traveling those guys may not be able to score in a one-on-one game.

Of course I am joking about me guarding those guys but I'd take my man Wagers in a one-on-one against any of those guys.

how many one on one games have refs, for one.

BB and Leather have some of the best footwork in the post and that makes them very tough to beat one on one.

Tron is the only questionable one on that list.

Bernard was a joke, just his size makes him a wild card.

BB and Leather might not be the best dribblers, but that doesn't matter... this isn't who can dribble the best, it is who can score... and the person who plays the post position the best has the best chance of winning, and that goes to strength and footwork.  TL and BB fit that mold better than anyone we've had in the seth, post seth era

Velcro - how are they going to get the ball into the post?  Are you going to start the match up in the post or at the top of the key?  BB would dribble off his feet 3 times prior to getting to the post position.  Leather has skills similar to BB but niether can take the ball at the top of the key and work someone down to the post position.  These guys are designed to be fed the ball in the post and then make their one step spin.  That's their limiation and that's why neither have been successful if they have to put the ball on the floor for more than 2 dribbles.

I don't care about the size advantage.  If you can't handle the ball well enough to get into the post then all of your height goes right out of the window in a one-on-one game.  When a big man puts the ball on the floor he makes himself as small as the guy defending him.

Chucky's cross over would leave all of the mentioned players in the dust.  Not to mention he can take them off the dribble with either hand.

There is a lot more to a one-on-one game than simply standing in the post, spinning and getting a rebound.

its not tough to get into the post 1 on 1.    Chucky doesn't fall into my range of players i've watched.  He would be a tough matchup, but if you saw my criteria, you see why i didn't chose anyone prior to 96/97 season.

There is more to a one on one game to just post play, but you can't discredit the importance.  There are reasons why BB and Leather score so many points in 5 on 5, and there is no way Chucky is going to guard either of them in the post.  And Leather is mobile enough to at least bother shots.  

It is all hypothetical.. but i don't see anyone under 6'4 that we have had since 1997 that would beat BB or Leather

Not tough to get into the post 1 on 1?

Ever watch the NBA?  That game is built on 1 on 1.  When's the last time you saw Shaq set a pick at the top of the key, get the ball back and have a smaller defender guard him so he can back him down into the paint.  NEVER!

However, you constantly see big me getting pulled out and ran through screens or picks in order to be stuck guarding a smaller guy who is going to abuse them off of the dribble.

Thank you, you just proved my point... a smaller guy shouldn't be in there... if it is 1 on 1, and the big guy gets matched up against a little guy in the post, its all over!  if shaq is posting up sam cassell with no double team, who's gonna win that?  or even if it is Vitally potopenko (someone with no handles) against fisher, in the post with no help, who wins?

The point is that a small guard will be forced to play post defense since they can't rotate out.

PF wins unless the small guard lights it up from deep.

You keep missing the point.  1 on 1 will not start in the friggin post!!!!  You got to take the ball at the top of the key.  In doing this the big man is at a disadvantage.