• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Tarpons sign local pair

By Carl Bleich

cbleich@news-press.com

April 03, 2007

Fort Myers High graduates Richard Washington and [highlight]Jason Allen[/highlight] have found a new place to play football while staying in their hometown.

The two signed contracts with the NIFL's Fort Myers Tarpons Monday, after being cut last week by the af2's Florida Firecats.

"This is going to be a great asset to our team," Tarpons head coach Bernard Edwards said. "These are two local guys, two guys with college experience and two guys who could easily be playing on Sundays in the NFL."

Washington, a 2002 FMHS grad, played his college ball at North Carolina State. He went undrafted in the NFL Supplemental Draft before going to training camp with the Firecats this season. Washington caught 73 passes for 848 yards and eight touchdowns in two seasons at NC State.

Washington was unavailable for comment.

"Richard is one of the smoothest route runners I have ever seen," Edwards said.

[highlight]Allen flew under the radar coming out of high school after a brutal knee injury in his final prep game. He graduated from Fort Myers in 2000 and signed with then Division I-AA South Florida. Allen made 32 tackles playing defensive end in 2005 for USF. Edwards said that Allen could play linebacker, defensive end or safety for the Tarpons.[/highlight]

"Jason is so versatile," Edwards said. "He is an automatic asset to our organization."

"I am excited to be a part of the Tarpons organization," Allen said.

"It's another opportunity to work with a great organization."

The Tarpons play their first game April 15 against the 0-3 Columbia Stingers in South Carolina.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Good deal...better to be playing football in a small league than none at all.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

I have seen some of those games on Catch 47 not a bad league but the TV coverage is horrible

Archived