Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF SID

USF NAMES STAN HEATH HEAD MEN’S BASKETBALL COACH

heath owns three ncaa appearances in six seasons as head coach

Tampa, Fla. (April 3, 2007) –  Stan Heath, whose brief head coaching career at the collegiate level has already included multiple postseason appearances, has been named the new head men’s basketball coach at the University of South Florida, Director of Athletics Doug Woolard announced at a press conference Tuesday afternoon.

Heath, 42, arrives at USF after serving as head coach at the University of Arkansas for each of the previous five seasons.  While with the Razorbacks, Heath guided the program to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances (2006, 2007) and an overall record of 82-71.  UA posted 20-win campaigns in each of the previous two seasons and 2006-07 was highlighted by a run to the championship game of the Southeastern Conference Tournament and subsequent participation in the NCAA’s.

“I couldn’t be more pleased to introduce Stan Heath as our men’s head basketball coach,” Woolard said.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“He has had tremendous success at every level of college basketball.  During his five years as an assistant at Michigan State, their team went to the NIT, Sweet 16, Final Four twice, and won a National Championship.  

“During his one season at Kent State, he led what many people consider to be a mid-major school to a 30-6 record and an Elite Eight appearance,” Woolard added.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“During his five years as a head coach at Arkansas, his recruiting classes were ranked in the top 15-or-better three times.  Additionally, the last two seasons his team won 20-or-more games, made the NCAA Tournament, and played against Florida in the SEC Tournament championship game.”

An outstanding recruiter throughout his career, Heath’s signing classes have gained national recognition in recent years.  National media outlets ranked his efforts among the top 15 in the country in 2003, 2004 and 2006.  In his six years (Arkansas and Kent State University) as a head coach, he has directed a total of six players to all-league accolades on eight occasions and his rosters have featured a pair of freshman All-Americans, two conference defensive players of the year and one sixth man of the year.

“Today, we are here to celebrate the beginning of a new era for the USF men’s basketball program, the hiring of Stan Heath,” University President Dr. Judy Genshaft said.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“The entire University community is excited about the selection of coach Heath as he has encountered tremendous success already in his career and we look forward to that continuing in the future.

“I am extremely pleased with the results of Athletic Director Woolard’s search and know that he selected the best fit possible for our student-athletes and the University,” Genshaft added.

“On behalf of the trustees, students, faculty, staff, and supporters, it is my pleasure to officially welcome coach Heath, his wife Ramona and their two sons, Jordan and Josh to the USF family.”

Prior to Arkansas, Heath guided Kent State to a record-setting 2001-02 campaign in his first year as a head coach at the collegiate level.  The Golden Flashes claimed the Mid-American Conference regular season and tournament titles en route to a 30-6 record and an appearance in the Elite Eight.  KSU set a league record for wins that year, won 21 games in a row and defeated three nationally ranked opponents (No. 20 Oklahoma St., No. 8 Alabama, No. 9 Pittsburgh) during its historic postseason run.

While an assistant coach for five seasons (1996-97 – 2000-01) under Tom Izzo at Michigan State, Heath helped the Spartans develop into one of the top programs in all of college basketball.  During his tenure, MSU advanced to the Final Four on three occasions (1999, 2000 and 2001), highlighted by the national championship in 2000.  The Spartans compiled an overall record of 132-37 during his stay in Lansing and also made one more Sweet Sixteen (1998) trip and participated in the National Invitation Tournament (1997).

The Detroit native has also made collegiate assistant coaching stops at Bowling Green State University (1994-95 – 1995-96), Wayne State University (1991-92 – 1993-94), Albion College (1989-90 – 1990-91) and Hillsdale College (1988-89).  He began his coaching career at the prep level, working for one season (1987-88) at Lincoln High School in Ypsilanti, Mich.

“I am excited about the opportunity and partnership available at USF and I look forward to moving the program forward,” Heath said.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“It’s going to take a lot of work and commitment and our coaches and players will bring an exciting and fast brand of basketball to the Sun Dome.

“We intend to not only make NCAA Tournament appearances, but also win games in the postseason as we develop our players both academically and athletically,” Heath added.

A three-year letterwinner (1984-85 – 1986-87) at Eastern Michigan University, Heath earned his bachelor’s degree in social science in 1988.  He went on to complete his master’s work in sports administration in 1993 at Wayne State University.

Heath is married to the former Ramona Webb and the couple has two sons; Jordan (14) and Joshua (12).

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

What they are saying about Stan Heath:

“I think Stan will do an incredible job at USF. He has been a part of a lot of

successful programs at various levels and has experience working with

established teams as well as those he helped develop into winners. He has

recruited some of the greatest players we have had at Michigan State and

has always been around success. Stan’s ability to recruit and coach and the

outstanding people skills of he and his family will help to breed success at

USF.”

Tom Izzo

Michigan State Head Coach

"USF hired a great head coach who is very passionate about the program.

He works hard to develop his players both academically and athletically and

I am looking forward to following the team next season. USF has made a

great decision."

Ronnie Brewer (Utah Jazz)

Former Arkansas player

“I have come to know coach Heath in his years at Arkansas and he has been

a credit to the Southeastern Conference. He will make an outstanding contribution

to the basketball program at USF.”

Mike Slive

SEC Commissioner

“I have known Stan for a long time and admire him as both a person and a

coach. He has been successful everywhere he has been and will do an outstanding job at USF. He left the Arkansas program

in good shape with a lot of young talent and he can really coach. I am excited about the program’s future at USF.”

C.M. Newton

Former SEC Commissioner/Univ. of Kentucky Athletics Director

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

Did Coach Heath say anything about assistant coaches at the presser?  Has he spoken to our current players yet?  When does he get started on recruiting?  ****....I wish I were there.

Normal

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Did Coach Heath say anything about assistant coaches at the presser?  Has he spoken to our current players yet?  When does he get started on recruiting?  ****....I wish I were there.

Normal

I didn't catch the whole thing but didn't hear asst coaches mentioned .... There were some players there, don't know who .. he did say they wouldn't be allowed to wear baseball caps inside the bldg.

Archived