National news about MBB (post all news here)

USFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

um... yes!

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Better than Gregg Marshall would have been!

I really believe this is as good as we could have possibly hoped for.

Thanks to all the patsies out there who weren't up to the challenge!  We've got ourselves a heck of a coach! :applause

• Content Count:  928

Speaking of recruiting, if things break correctly, the state of Florida could be prime recruiting ground for Heath over the next few years. Truth is, the situations at Miami and Florida State are unstable because of a lack of NCAA Tournament appearances. So if those programs don't rise while Florida loses Billy Donovan and replaces him with a less-than-perfect candidate, Heath could exploit a potential down time in the state and build the same type of talented roster he put together at Arkansas in a place where expectations aren't so great.

Makes me all warm and fuzzy. GO AWAY BILLY!!

• Content Count:  4,879

Great hire!

• Content Count:  3,574

Heath sees 'great possibilities' at South FloridaAssociated Press

TAMPA, Fla. -- Stan Heath is undaunted by South Florida's lack of success in basketball. He's been associated with winning programs everywhere he's coached and is confident he can transform the Bulls into one, too.

"This is a great opportunity for me," Heath said Tuesday after being introduced as USF's coach. "I see this as a sleeping giant."

Stan Heath was fired from Arkansas, despite leading the Razorbacks to two consecutive 20-win seasons. Overall, he's 112-77 in six seasons as a Division I head coach.

School  Years  Overall  NCAAs  

Kent State  2002  30-6  Elite Eight  

Arkansas  2003-2007  82-71  Lost in first round, 2006 and 2007  

The 42-year-old Heath is 112-77 in six seasons as a head coach and has been to the NCAA Tournament three times. He was fired by Arkansas on March 26 after the Razorbacks' season ended with a first-round NCAA loss to Southern California.

The former Michigan State assistant led Kent State to the round of eight five years ago in his only season with the Golden Flashes, and Arkansas had consecutive 20-win seasons that ended with first-round losses in 2006 and 2007.

Anything close to that will be embraced by USF, which has just two 20-win seasons and two NCAA Tournament appearances in its history. The Bulls haven't won 20 since 1989-90 and haven't played in the NCAA Tournament since 1992.

"We're going to win, and we're going to win real soon," Heath said. "Sooner than a lot of people think."

The Bulls will return three starters from a team that was 12-18 in its final season under Robert McCullum, who was fired March 9 after losing 28 of 32 conference games in USF's first two years in the Big East.

Heath built a reputation as an outstanding recruiter while helping Michigan State's Tom Izzo assemble the talent that carried the Spartans to a national championship and three Final Four appearances during a five-year span.

He enhanced the label at Arkansas, where his recruiting classes ranked among the nation's best three times. The Razorbacks were 82-77 in five seasons under Heath, who was dismissed last week despite having 20-win seasons and going to the NCAA Tournament the past two years.

USF athletic director Doug Woolard targeted Winthrop's Gregg Marshall and also had discussions with South Alabama's John Pelphrey, former Virginia coach Pete Gillen and former Marquette and NBA coach Kevin O'Neill during a three-week search.

Heath felt fortunate to get into the mix late.

He and Woolard talked about the vacancy for four days during the Final Four in Atlanta, then agreed to a five-year contract worth up to $4.275 million.

"I'm appreciative he kept that window open. I'm a guy who if you just crack that door a little bit, I'm trying to go through," Heath said.

"Some people look at things differently. Me, I just see great possibilities."

Although being fired by Arkansas was disappointing, Heath said he quickly came to the realization that it's better to move on than to dwell on why the Razorbacks decided to make a change.

"When you're in this profession, you go through ups and downs all the time," the coach said.

"One thing about me, I didn't have to coach," Heath added. "But it's in my blood to coach, and I'm really excited about being here."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2824644

Archived