SB: USF Softball Splits 'Nova Doubleheader

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF SID

USF Softball Splits Doubleheader With Villanova; Spence Wins 50th-Career Game

TAMPA, Fla. (April 1, 2007) – The University of South Florida softball team split games with Villanova University on Sunday afternoon, losing game one, 2-1, in nine innings and winning the second game, 3-1, at the USF Softball Field.  

Kristen Gordon (10-5) was credited with the game-one loss, pitching the final two innings and allowing a home run. Bree Spence (6-4) was the game-two winner, tossing six innings with one run on three hits with four Ks. The win was the 50th of her career and puts her in sole possession of fourth place all-time. Cristi Ecks, who pitched seven innings in game one, closed out the seventh inning of game two with two hits for the save. Ecks picked up the 10th save of her career, which ties her for second all-time.  

Redshirt freshman JoJo Medina led all players batting 1.000 with a 3-for-3 effort at the plate. Three other players had two-hit days, and Medina was one of four players to record an RBI.

In game one, the Bulls (31-17, 3-1 BIG EAST) couldn’t hang on to a one-run lead and lost to the Wildcats in the ninth inning as their offense struggled the rest of the way.  

Medina gave USF a 1-0 lead in the first inning. After Tara Toscano drew a walk, she scored from first off Medina’s double to right center.

In the top of the sixth, Villanova (15-12, 1-3 BIG EAST) evened the score thanks to two USF errors to open the inning. The Bulls quickly turned a double play during the next at-bat, leaving a runner at second base. After Ecks intentionally walked the next batter to create a force out, Jessica O’Boyle singled to center field to knot the score.  

In extra innings, the Wildcats took the lead when Sheri Donley hit a leadoff home run in the ninth inning.  

The Bulls tried to answer back in the bottom of the frame with a two-out rally but fell short. Alison Savarese recorded a two-out double, but was stranded as VU starter Laura Determan (9-5) struck out the final batter.  

Game two was scoreless until the Bulls put three on the board in the fourth inning. A fielder’s choice by Savarese and a single by Danielle Urbanik put runners on. Carly Griffin doubled in the first run of the inning, and Laura Wolf and Britta Giddens each delivered an RBI single.  

In the seventh, Villanova opened up the inning with a single and a walk. Ecks came out of the bullpen and allowed consecutive singles to score a run. With the bases loaded, USF turned a double play, 1-2-3, and Ecks struck out the final batter to end the game.  

USF will continue its homestand when it hosts conference rival Louisville on Saturday at noon.

Archived