Coaching Search Has Been Disappointing

JoeBulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Come on Hermie/JoeBulls you have been spitting out let's sign "latest name" for the last few weeks.  Why not just be patient and get the best.   somebody.

really? i dont recall saying that, but ok, if you say so.    

if anything i am against the majority of the guys we  have been seriously looking at.  the ones i (and most of us) really want said no thanks before  we could even ask.  go figure.  but ya we are looking solid, probably picking up so many new fans right now.  our choices are endless.  everything is great so far in our search. go bulls  ::)

Dude, you don't get it.  Do you?  Once a coach's name has been thrown out in public as a potential candidate and he already has a job and then no offer is forthcoming you don't wait until they reject you, you publicly pull your name out of consideration.  How do you go back and try to keep your team together when they think you will bolt the next time a job offer comes along?  How can you recruit under those circumstances?  It's similar to a lame duck coach trying to recruit.  If the recruits don't believe you will be around for their entire career it's difficult to recruit them.  it would also be a local PR disaster for them in their local markets.  How many coach's have you ever heard of throwing their name in the ring for a coaching position and then are publicly turned down for the job?  Never!!!  They'd end up being a laughingstock.  

The other reason to pull your name out of consideration would be if you do what Leavitt, Rodriguez and Marshall and Lowery just did.  You come from a position of strength to the school you are already working for and drive your asking price up.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

"Zoloft is well tolerated and effective for the treatment of depression and certain types of anxiety disorders.

Zoloft is FDA approved to treat depression, social anxiety disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) in adults over age 18. It is also approved for OCD in children and adolescents age 6-17 years.

Zoloft is the #1 doctor-prescribed brand of its kind. Zoloft has treated more people than any other brands of its kind for 14 years. And Zoloft is available in multiple strengths, so your doctor can decide a dose for you."

i dont have any of those symptoms.  

• Content Count:  1,911

Dude, you don't get it.  Do you?  Once a coach's name has been thrown out in public as a potential candidate and he already has a job and then no offer is forthcoming you don't wait until they reject you, you publicly pull your name out of consideration.  How do you go back and try to keep your team together when they think you will bolt the next time a job offer comes along?  How can you recruit under those circumstances?  It's similar to a lame duck coach trying to recruit.  If the recruits don't believe you will be around for their entire career it's difficult to recruit them.  it would also be a local PR disaster for them in their local markets.  How many coach's have you ever heard of throwing their name in the ring for a coaching position and then are publicly turned down for the job?  Never!!!  They'd end up being a laughingstock.  

The other reason to pull your name out of consideration would be if you do what Leavitt, Rodriguez and Marshall and Lowery just did.  You come from a position of strength to the school you are already working for and drive your asking price up.

• Content Count:  477

If you think this has been handled in a poor manner, it simply shows you have no understanding of high level negotiations or PR.  This is not politics where you float a trial balloon to see if your choice is a popular one.  How silly!!!!

You don't show your hand and let an agent or candidate float other rumors so you drive the salary demands higher.  If you are hiring for the long term good of the program, you conduct a proper coaching search.  You don't jump at the name that the press throws out there every other day.  You don't hire a guy simply on his reputation.  You don't negotiate in the press.  Who cares what the writers think for the time being about the way this is being handled.  They are just pissed because it makes their job more difficult.  Who cares what we think is going on?  Whatever we think is going on probably isn't.  Just because you don't understand the process doesn't mean it isn't being done professionally.

My favorite statement about things like this is that you don't know what you don't know.

This is a pretty sophisticated game of posturing best done by professionals.  Woolard is a true professional.  He knows what he is doing.

This right here is a lot of fluff.

I bet you even woolard would say that he didn't handle this thing great...

I stand by the "D."

This hasn't been manage very well and that is what he gets paid to do.  Imagine Dell Computers running a search for a CEO like this?

The shareholders wouldn't be happy.

A Stan Heath hire will produce a good end result though.

We will see.

Huh????

Woolard stated at the beginning of the search that he would not comment on any candidates.  He has followed that.

Well..... like I said before, you just don't know what you don't know.  Your best bet is to sit back and see how things unfold.  We may or may not get the guy that you want, but I am quite confident that the process used has been sound.

By the way, with all of your criticsms abiut the process Woolard has used, how would you have conducted the search?

• Content Count:  161

Huh????

Woolard stated at the beginning of the search that he would not comment on any candidates.  He has followed that.

Well..... like I said before, you just don't know what you don't know.  Your best bet is to sit back and see how things unfold.  We may or may not get the guy that you want, but I am quite confident that the process used has been sound.

By the way, with all of your criticsms abiut the process Woolard has used, how would you have conducted the search?

First, I would have realized this is going to be an extremely difficult "sell" (almost insurmountable) for me due to my failure to let crm go a year earlier. the hole being deeper, the problem bigger, the likelihood of interested coachest lesser..etc..etc..

What would i do? The only reasonable thing would be to hire a national search/sports recruiting firm to find me a coach in secret and then i would take all the credit and maybe save my job.

Fixed quote

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Huh????

First, I would have realized this is going to be an extremely difficult "sell" (almost insurmountable) for me due to my failure to let crm go a year earlier. the hole being deeper, the problem bigger, the likelihood of interested coachest lesser..etc..etc..

What would i do? The only reasonable thing would be to hire a national search/sports recruiting firm to find me a coach in secret and then i would take all the credit and maybe save my job.

Fixed quote

Sounds a lot like what Woolard is doing.  It's impossible to be completely secret when others are involved.  Woolard is not commenting on the search, others are.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Huh????

You'll have to excuse JoeBulls and Herm. They are two of our resident, melodramatic hand-wringers. They thrive on this kind of stuff.

As you pointed out, DW said he wasn't going to comment on the job search from the very beginning and he's held to that. If he had to come out and rebut or confirm every little rumor thrown out there, this thing would never get done. DW will get the best man available for the job and that's all we can really ask for.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Oh, please, if you think this job would have been an easier sell a year ago, you haven't paying attention to Bulls basketball. This year, at least, a coach coming in knows he'll have, at least, two BE type players for next year in KG and Howard, with the potential of Curry, Jones and Holmes in waiting. A helluva lot better position than coming off the 05-06 season.

The hole that is USF basketball hit rock bottom that 05-06 season. It didn't get any worse this last year. Waiting that extra year did NOT make this job any more of a tougher "sell" than it already was.

Huh????

Fixed quote

Woolard is doing as you suggested.  C.M. Newton is a pretty knowledgeable and well respected consultant.  

I think the sell last yeat would have been tougher.  There were even more unknown variables coming into this year plus the financial constraints were tighter.  It would have been extremely difficult to sell the job when the money available was a lot less. There was no harm done in waiting an extra year.

Archived