And you thought the Tribune was bad...

USFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

All we need now is that idiot from the Sentinel - Bianchi - to write something stupid and we will have the trifecta.

Shhhhhhh.....you will wake that idiot up.         ;D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad

• flsportsfan83

• USFan

• Herman_Momart

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,759
  • Content Count:  17,674
  • Days Won:  13

read the oracle that should piss you off

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I've read it and put it where it belongs......in the trash can.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

read the oracle that should piss you off

The Oracle has an off-campus reach of what?  50 people?  Big deal.

The rodents at the Trib that you praise reach at least double that.  ;)  What's their circulation a couple hundred thou?  And the STP is probably a third more than that or so?

I wouldn't worry about the Oracle but do a little more studying on why the Community and the Community Newspaper show either undeserved negativity or blatant disinterest towards the Bulls.

If you don't think the nonsense being churned out by the Trib is affecting the coaching search, you're dead wrong.  The little girl wearing the Gator shirt doesn't really matter.

so coaches are not want to come to USF because of the reporters? But they would go to a "bigger" program. Have you read the papers in tally, gville, or Miami?

are not wanting ^

the reports job is to tell the news and write opinions. They are not employeed by USF. I dont see what the big injustice to USF was. What has been said that was wrong?

so coaches are not want to come to USF because of the reporters? But they would go to a "bigger" program. Have you read the papers in tally, gville, or Miami?

Okay, USF had an image problem to begin with.  That image is being further damaged by reports being circulated (primarily from the Tribune) to major outlets including SI, ESPN, and more.  False quotes and assumptions are being repeated as fact.  This is creating a more widespread image issue that any candidate could use to his advantage to seek additional compensation, etc.  Likewise, for those candidates (Heath for example) that really believes he should be a top-shelf coach these articles impress upon many that USF is no more than a Big South school in the wrong conference.  Surely it impacts how prospective candidates view the job and their possible association with it.  It doesn't scare them away, but they have to be concerned about being linked to a job bandied about in the press as a "career-killer" when in fact they may be trying to get to Iowa or somewhere like that.  And if they decide to come to USF, you can bet that after reading the local fishwrap they are going to need more financial guarantees than had there been positive stories on the opportunities that await.

If you took advanced corporate finance, it would be like the "signaling" effect in the market...(that's for all you finance folks).

It's no different than the "schoolground bully" complex.  The Trib loves to insult USF, and eventually, despite whatever good we do (see Football, Softball, Women's Basketball and now Baseball) no one really cares.  Who wants to associate with a laughingstock of a program?  If you can't see the impact, you're missing the boat.

Hey Mr. Heath, want to tie your name to the laughingstock on the NCAAs?  As soon as you sign, the jokes about your lack of good sense and seeming appetite for self-destruction will come out....goodbye to your career fool!  

Yeah, sounds like a good opportunity.  A candidate comes in knowing that the local hacks are naturally going to insult him for even taking such a messed up job in a messed up place.

Makes you feel good just to be associated with USF, doesn't it?   ::)

If you want to rid the campus of Gator shirts, that's great - but you should really use your energy on the bigger picture as I have often encouraged you to do.

the reports job is to tell the news and write opinions. They are not employeed by USF. I dont see what the big injustice to USF was. What has been said that was wrong?

The job should be to report facts - to be objective.  I know both beat writers purposely avoid being "homers" but to go on the offensive against the school they are supposed to be reporting on is juvenile.

The Trib especially has gone tabloid in the battle of the blogs.  But if that is what they are supposed to do - fine.  I just hope that when USF reaches national prominence in Football and other sports that they remember the Tribune's antics these past few years and not one **** dime goes to them for advertising.  It may be that way already and hence the sour attitudes emanating from there.

You may think it is their job to do what they have done this past couple weeks, we will always disagree on that.  You claim to care so much for the basketball program and then you ask what so bad about circulating malicious lies and untruths nationwide?  Prying into the candidates, all the while taking potshots at USF?  

I would hope our local papers would not interfere so much in what is the most important hiring decision in the history of the Basketball program.  Equally poor is the number of people who read these articles and decide to stay distanced from USF as a result.  

Brad,

Thats what happens when your program becomes big time. Would you rather them write nothing at all?