You know what is funny about the USF job search is

Bull Matrix

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

You're going to have to get a guy who is borderline crazy to take this job.  A guy who is so full of himself and has so much energy that he can seduce recruits that USF is about to explode and they are crazy if they don't get on board.  It's going to take a guy who has such a charismatic personality that a kid and his family believe in him and that if their son goes to USF, he can actually be part of something great.

Anyone can say those words, but not anyone can "sell it".  Bc at $800K, you're not going to pull a "name" in, it's just not going to happen.  

Maybe we can pull in a hs coach from one of the hotbed places like Oak Hill and he can bring a few of "his guys" along.  These guys are usually Mc D type talents and if you got something going there you'd have a pipeline for years to come.  I don't care what anyone says, in basketball, the coach isn't as important as the talent.  The best coaches are the best recruiters, not the best Xs and O guys.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

You're going to have to get a guy who is borderline crazy to take this job.  A guy who is so full of himself and has so much energy that he can seduce recruits that USF is about to explode and they are crazy if they don't get on board.  It's going to take a guy who has such a charismatic personality that a kid and his family believe in him and that if their son goes to USF, he can actually be part of something great.

Anyone can say those words, but not anyone can "sell it".  Bc at $800K, you're not going to pull a "name" in, it's just not going to happen.  

Maybe we can pull in a hs coach from one of the hotbed places like Oak Hill and he can bring a few of "his guys" along.  These guys are usually Mc D type talents and if you got something going there you'd have a pipeline for years to come.  I don't care what anyone says, in basketball, the coach isn't as important as the talent.  The best coaches are the best recruiters, not the best Xs and O guys.

Ruger,

I disagree. I think x's and o's are just as important. UNC v Georgetown. JT III is a tremendous x's and o's guy and he proved it against a much deeper Carolina team. Why did Carolina jack a 3 with time running out in a tied game?? terrible call. Reminded me of Pitino setting up a deep 3 with 12 seconds left and down by one. Drive to the hoop and draw a foul or make the layup.

Arkansas coach was just fired because they didn't feel he was a good bench coach. He got great talent but couldn't get them to perform at an elite level.

I think he would be an outstanding fit here. I hope we put the full court press on him.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

Ruger,

I disagree. I think x's and o's are just as important. UNC v Georgetown. JT III is a tremendous x's and o's guy and he proved it against a much deeper Carolina team. Why did Carolina jack a 3 with time running out in a tied game?? terrible call. Reminded me of Pitino setting up a deep 3 with 12 seconds left and down by one. Drive to the hoop and draw a foul or make the layup.

Arkansas coach was just fired because they didn't feel he was a good bench coach. He got great talent but couldn't get them to perform at an elite level.

I think he would be an outstanding fit here. I hope we put the full court press on him.

Don't misunderstand me.  Xs and Os are important, but let's face it, in basketball where there are only 5 guys playing at a time, if you don't have the talent, there's nothing any coach can do.  Just look at how much of an impact a guy like Shaq has in the NBA.  Wherever he goes they win.  Same with Jordan and the Bulls.  He leaves the bulls, they do nothing.  Comes back and they win the title.  Same coach was there when he was gone.

Also, sometimes the players on the floor don't always do what is called.  I played enough sports to know that sometimes you have something called, but crazy crap happens and the end result is nothing like it was drawn up.  But if you have the players, they can make up for bad coaching way more than a good coach can make up for bad players.

That's my point.  We need to take care of the first step which is recruiting better talent to get to the point where we are even with other teams.  Once we get there, than we can worry about if we're coaching them correctly.  You take those 5 guys from UF and even if Donovan isn't on the sidelines they are going to win 20 games.  His best coaching was convincing those kids to come back and not bolt for the NBA, not the plays being called during these games.  If anything, they aren't listening to Donovan too well or he's not coaching that great this year bc they are averaging about 20 turnovers a game!  

What makes Donovan such a great coach is his ability to sell guys that if they come to play with him they will win.  Every guy on that squad is a stud.  He didn't take 5 lowly recruited guys and turn them into studs.  Those guys were all 4 star recruits coming out.  He's got 4 and 5 star guys coming next year.  That's where your overall success comes.  In a 30 game season, talent will win you most of your games.  Coaching is the only difference in a few of them.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Guys, where was a job offer actually given to be turned down?  

Some guys are happy being the big fish in the little pond and I don't blame them.  Some guys have the ability and ego to go to the highest level.  Being in the public eye, under constant scrutiny in a tough conference is not for everyone.  Everyone starts out thinking they want to be the top dog until they find out what is actually involved.  Look at Marshall's statement.  He didn't want to pursue it further because he couldn't be 100% committed.  It's best he didn't come here then.  It would have been a repeat of Mac's tenure.

It's going to take the right guy with the right mindset.  Woolard will find that guy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Velcro maybe you should change your quote. Mac is no longer an employee at USF.

Just because he still isn't employed here doesn't make the quote any less true...   ;)

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

hire Pat Knight..at least he has the right pedigree ;)

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  585

Stans record: 31-49 record in SEC play and 7-33 for league games on the road. I hope you guys get stan.