Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Tampa trip gives Marshall a great deal to ponder

Coach finds himself courted by both South Florida and current employer

By GARY MCCANN

gmccann@heraldonline.com

Posted on Sun, Mar. 25, 2007

The (Rock Hill) Herald

Winthrop basketball coach Gregg Marshall visited the University of South Florida on Friday and Saturday and described the trip as a good one, although he said no official job offer was made.

Marshall and his wife, Lynn, flew to Tampa on Friday and toured the basketball facilities that night. He took a look at the Sun Dome, the Bulls’ home court, the basketball offices, the locker rooms and some of the area, before returning to Rock Hill on Saturday.

Marshall said he made it clear before going to Tampa that he would not entertain any job offer until he had a chance to return to Rock Hill, weigh his options and decide if he wanted to pursue the job.

He said there were things he liked about the situations and others that concerned him, but that he liked South Florida director of athletics Doug Woolard, a former high school basketball coach in Illinois.

“Doug Woolard is a man of integrity,†Marshall said Saturday night. “We had conversations that were enlightening as well as pointed. He’s got a school in the Big East Conference and he wants it to be the best.â€Â

Marshall also met with university president Judy Genshaft.

Reports this week indicated that South Florida was willing to pay its next coach more than the $300,000 previous coach Robert McCullum made.

That could be a big factor for Marshall, who makes slightly more than $225,000.

Before Marshall left for Tampa, he had several discussions with Winthrop director of athletics Tom Hickman and president Anthony DiGiorgio about a new 10-year contract that would replace his existing deal, which runs through 2015. The discussed new deal could increase Marshall’s pay to near $400,000 annually. Both sides in the discussions said they were ongoing.

In addition to Marshall, South Florida (12-18, 3-13 Big East) has interviewed Pete Gillen, the former coach at Xavier, Providence and Virginia; and John Pelphrey, the coach at South Alabama and a former player at the University of Kentucky.South Florida is the second job vacancy that Marshall has been linked to since Winthrop’s season ended a week ago. He was a candidate for the New Mexico vacancy, which was filled by Iowa coach Steve Alford.

Marshall did not indicate what kind of timetable he was going to use regarding South Florida or contract discussions with Winthrop. The only plans he confirmed were his intention to attend the Final Four in Atlanta.

McCann is a reporter for The (Rock Hill) Herald, a McClatchy newspaper.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

I think Marshall has a pretty simple decision.  It seems to me it comes down to being BMOC at a small school in a small conference and live pretty well with a lot of security.  Or, prove he can have the same success in the toughest league in the country.  

The dollars in SC stretch over a decade, the dollars from USF likely over 6 years, but in total, probably aren't going to be that far off (not using time values).

If I am Marshall, it all comes down to trading the huge success I have at Marshall, where I could likely coach for life and retire a legend (it being what it is at Winthrop), or roll the dice on building a program others have failed at.

It's a personal challenge.  Is it a challenge he wants?  Who knows.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think the decision really isn't between Winthrop and USF, it's between USF and South Carolina. He was born and raised in South Carolina and apparently has never been shy about being a part of that program one day.

He knows that Dave Odom is 65 years old and probably needs to make the NCAAs to stay at South Carolina next year.

If I were a betting man, I'd say he's coming. However, I also would understand if he didn't.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

I think he is leaning towards taking the job, if he wasnt why would he come and get the personal tour of campus? Winthrop has apparently already offered the 10 year contract, so it wasnt to get a better deal out of them.

But I also hope he takes the time he needs to make sure of what he wants to do. I dont want him to come and then regret leaving South Carolina within a year or two.

Guest BasketBull.

Winthrop wants to keep him for life. Apparently, they want to name the new floor after him or something like that.

He's been linked to and has interviewed for various jobs over the years, almost taking the one from last year. It wasn't even a major conference. The guy wants to leave. The question is when and where.

His team plays in front of about 1,000 fans at home...

Well if he is interested in ANY OTHER job, he shouldn't be signing 10 year deals at Winthrop...I know that is how it works, just saying.  I think coaches should have the same buyout schools do.

My opinion is that there are equally, if not more attractive candidates out there.  If this becomes too drawn out, we'll be able to move on.

Guest BasketBull.
My opinion is that there are equally, if not more attractive candidates out there.  If this becomes too drawn out, we'll be able to move on.

I agree. I respect his NCAA's but knowing that he coached in the Big (soft) South takes it all away. He's a winner alright, but not enough to be throwing his weight around and make us wait too long.

He needs to pull the trigger and not wait till after the Final 4; I'll lose more interest in him.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I still think some have too big of expectations on what we're going to get. It's not a rip on USF or the job, I am just not sure the money is there for someone large.

I see where Gregg Marshall has been rumored to other jobs as well, but can not find where he has made any other trips.

The sad thing I see reading today, is we're going after the same caliber of coaches as Marshall University.  While they may take a UF assistant, they are allegedly interested in many of the same as USF including Gregg Marshall, John Pelphrey, and Pete Gillen (really).

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Nice weekend to come visit in Tampa.

Did we make an "official" offer?  Does he have a deadline to answer?  Shouldnt we be recruiting now?

16 days and waiting.