USF is raising their standards…

USFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545
  • Days Won:  0

I was lucky...I slacked off in High School and had a 3.0 and got in but I had decent test scores and "well rounded" classes.

I now have a 3.35, so college is easier then High School if u take the right pre-recs. lol

Good Luck to all the young ones trying to get in.  Never Give up.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruger7mmmag

• JoeBulls

• 80mins

• theman123

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I transferred in from another school, so that wasn't an issue with me.

Although I did have a 3.91 in high school...

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503

I got in during the growth era for USF and they wouldn't even let me knock on the door now.   ;)

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

I know.

How do you have better then a 4.0..?

Someone fill me in on that one.

When I was in high school a 4.0 was a guy who got straight A's in every class all four years..

This giving more credit for AP is just stupid.

"I have a 4.45 GPA"  

Whatever bro.

Maybe that is why Florida ranks like 47th in the country in avg SAT scores.

Flor-duh

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

I know.

How do you have better then a 4.0..?

Someone fill me in on that one.

When I was in high school a 4.0 was a guy who got straight A's in every class all four years..

This giving more credit for AP is just stupid.

"I have a 4.45 GPA"  

Whatever bro.

Maybe that is why Florida ranks like 47th in the country in avg SAT scores.

Flor-duh

I'll respond to this one as I'm an Honors College grad from USF.  The reason for the difference is it shows students who are more accomplished than others.  I graduated high school as an IB DIPLOMA RECIPIENT with a 4.3 gpa and 1280 on my SAT (old scale).  To get an IB diploma, you literally do a crap load of work more than regular students at those schools and the competition is crazy.  I was taking AP classes as ELECTIVES along with extra summers of Spanish class when most students were taking PE!  That's the reason the GPA scales like that exist.  No way should me taking classes at the local community college be rated the same as someone who took "sex ed".  

Most of the kids that walk on to USF with those 4+ gpas walk on campus as a second year student like I did when I had 30 credits.  

By the way chief, most kids with gpas of 4+ will have As in EVERY SINGLE "normal" class and As in almost every single "IB" or "AP" class.  Not too mention many of these kids are not only taking harder classes with a TON more homework, but they are also required in many programs to be VERY active in the community, build cultural credits and play a sport of which many of us played more than one and were **** good at those as well.

I used to hear this gripe from kids at our hs when they used to ***** and moan about how IB or AP students got this extra credit while they were drinking 5 nights a week and graduated not even knowing the basic composition of table salt or being able to hold a basic conversation with someone in a second language.  

/end rant...

Guest Rueben_Horowitz
I'll respond to this one as I'm an Honors College grad from USF.  [highlight]The reason for the difference is it shows students who are more accomplished than others.  [/highlight]I graduated high school as an IB DIPLOMA RECIPIENT with a 4.3 gpa and 1280 on my SAT (old scale).  ...

First and foremost, please don't take offense to this...I have taken no offense, and I am what you describe as a 'normal' person, LOL.

I guess that depends on what you consider accomplished. A 1280? My normal brain scored better, with no studying.

I just think your 4.3 is silly. I think a 4.0 looks better b/c people actually understand what it represents.

To get an IB diploma, you literally do a crap load of work more than regular students at those schools and the competition is crazy.  I was taking AP classes as ELECTIVES along with extra summers of Spanish class when most students were taking PE!  That's the reason the GPA scales like that exist.  No way should me taking classes at the local community college be rated the same as someone who took "sex ed".

I understand that it's more work, but still think it's silly. HS kids shouldn't have to worry about doing 'a crap load more work' than their 'normal' peers.

By the way chief, most kids with gpas of 4+ will have As in EVERY SINGLE "normal" class and As in almost every single "IB" or "AP" class.  

Most kids with 4+ GPA's have A's in every single 'normal' class?????

Exactly my point - A kid can have a +4.0 GPA WITHOUT GETTING STRAIGHT A's!!! That's complete Bull****!

I used to hear this gripe from kids at our hs when they used to ***** and moan about how IB or AP students got this extra credit while they were drinking 5 nights a week and graduated not even knowing the basic composition of table salt or being able to hold a basic conversation with someone in a second language.  

/end rant...

I captained the lacrosse team, got straight A's in the school of business, worked mornings at the worlds biggest brokerage firm, worked weekends at the golf course, and drank 5 nights a week. I have no gripes, I'll put my academic record and brains against anyone in the honors program. Are there smarter people at USF, sure, but not many...I'm pretty much the man.

I have no idea/care what the basic composition of table salt is; and the only spanish I remember is dame un beso. If that is the crap you learned in the honors college that you so snobbishly hold over us "normal people", I am glad I steered clear.

Cheers,

Rueben Horowitz ~ Mind of a champion

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

Reub, I'm not saying that there aren't smart folks who don't go the IB route etc.  But on the WHOLE, if I took the kids who I saw in hs with 4.0s not taking the classes we in IB were; take the same classes we did, they wouldn't have had a 4.0.

That's my point.  It's like saying the kid who got an A in pre-Algebra is smarter than someone who got a B in Calc II.  Makes no logical sense.  I don't know a kid in the top 30 at my hs who were in IB that didn't have perfect As in the "non IB" classes.  

Granted, anyone can achieve not in these programs, but on the whole those programs are better indicators of future success than any other standard out there.

Are you telling me if you had to stake your life on who would perform better at college you would take someone who took the easier route?  Of course not.  Not saying it can't happen, but you wouldn't stake your life on it.  That's the point of my post.

I'm happy for your success and I'd gladly put my "record" against yours, but what would that serve as we're all "Bulls" here.  

There's better things to debate on here such as USF was stupid to fire RMC without already having a replacement waiting in the wings.  Look at Arkansas, rumor is they fired Heath today and will announce Gillespie tomorrow.  That's how you do this.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

I think 4.3's are the dumbest things I have ever seen.

Why does USF champion this retarded grade system.  GPA's are so inflated its absurd.

Get a 4.0 and spend your time studying for the SAT instead of trying to rack up 90 credits of college credit your junior and senior year.

A 4.0 and 1550 should get you into a great Ivy League school.

A 4.3 is like giving 110%...

it looks great but sounds stupid.

Joe -- who wonders why florida has temporary class rooms in the parking lots yet plenty of room to cut the property tax.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz
Are you telling me if you had to stake your life on who would perform better at college you would take someone who took the easier route?  Of course not.  Not saying it can't happen, but you wouldn't stake your life on it.  That's the point of my post..

You're right, it shows dedication, which should translate well to college.  

I'm happy for your success and I'd gladly put my "record" against yours, but what would that serve as we're all "Bulls" here.

Agreed; I wasn't inferring anything about you specifically.

Rueb