Tubby Smith Leaves UK for Minnesota

Jewbull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

didn't bama win one pre-probation, like 1993?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeBulls

• JoeB

• Ruger7mmmag

• Bull94

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

donovan not leaving gators

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Article on Smith/Donovan, et al...Pelphrey...

cjmain_sm.jpg

A strong list of potential successors

By Brian Bennett and Rick Bozich

bbennett@courier-journal.com

rbozich@courier-journal.com

Now that Tubby Smith has left for Minnesota, who will become the next University of Kentucky men’s basketball coach?

Any list of potential successors has to begin with Florida coach Billy Donovan. An assistant at UK under Rick Pitino from 1989-94, Donovan has taken the Gators to two Final Fours, winning last year’s national title, and his team is the No. 1 overall seed in this year’s NCAA Tournament.

He also plays an up-tempo style that Wildcats fan crave and has proved to be one of the nation’s top recruiters.

Donovan was asked about his possible interest in the job this afternoon in St. Louis, where he was preparing his team to meet Butler tonight in the Midwest Regional semifinals.

“I know you have to ask me that,” he said, “but right now I’m here to coach my team and try to win another national championship.”

Donovan reportedly is making $1.7.million this season - about $400,000 less than Smith was guaranteed this year. He and athletic director Jeremy Foley postponed discussions about a contract extension and raise earlier this season.

When asked today about UK potentially contacting Donovan, Foley said: “It’s a free world. There’s nothing to prevent them from doing that. We’re here to win a national championship.”

Coming off national titles in both football and men’s basketball, Florida has the budget to match any offer Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart could make to Donovan.

Barnhart could go a number of different ways if Donovan isn’t interested.

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo would be a popular choice. He has won a national title and been to four Final Fours with the Spartans, including 1999 and 2005 when his team defeated UK in the Elite Eight. But he reportedly earned more than $7.million last season in salary and bonuses and is a Michigan native, so he might be strongly motivated to stay.

Izzo could not be reached for comment, nor could any others besides Donovan.

An Izzo disciple, Marquette coach Tom Crean, has been mentioned frequently as a possible Smith successor. Crean has ties to the state as a former Western Kentucky University assistant, and he led Marquette past UK in the 2003 Elite Eight. But critics would point out that he hasn’t won an NCAA Tournament game since then, and his style of play isn’t much more aesthetically pleasing than Smith’s.

Billy Gillispie is a hot commodity after working miracles at both Texas-El Paso and Texas A&M. His Aggies eliminated Louisville in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last Saturday in Rupp Arena and played Memphis last night in the Sweet 16.

Another Lone Star State coach, Texas’ Rick Barnes, could be on Barnhart’s radar.

Barnes took the Longhorns to the 2003 Final Four and has reached at least the Sweet 16 in four of the past seven years. He has recruited stars such as T..J. Ford and this season’s freshman sensation, Kevin Durant.

Like Donovan, Barnes works in the shadow of his school’s football program. But like Donovan, his school has unlimited resources to counter any offer.

Other names that probably will be tossed around include Gonzaga’s Mark Few, Villanova’s Jay Wright, Ohio State’s Thad Matta, Notre Dame’s Mike Brey, Memphis’ John Calipari and Tennessee’s Bruce Pearl. Barnhart also could use UK’s financial clout to try to lure an established coach such as UCLA’s Ben Howland, who is making a reported $1.15.million this season.

If Barnhart wants somebody with UK ties, he could look to Travis Ford or John Pelphrey. Ford, a former UK point guard, rebuilt Eastern Kentucky University before taking over at Massachusetts this season. Pelphrey, a member of the Unforgettables class of 1992, is a former Florida assistant who led South Alabama to the NCAA Tournament last season. Both might be considered too inexperienced for the Kentucky job at this point in their careers, however.

Of course, there is one name that UK fans surely will debate no matter how unlikely the scenario would be for his return: Rick Pitino.

“I’ve got the job that I want,” the Louisville coach said today. “I’m where I want to be.”

Brian Bennett can be reached at (502) 582-7177. Rick Bozich can be reached at (502) 582-4650.

Link

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

What bonus did Tom Izzo get to earn $7 million? Might be a typo, but if it isn't that unheard of.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz
4 elite eights and a national championship in 10yrs and the guy leaves to avoid losing his job...That's dedication to excellence.

That's absurd. Although Tubby could have done better in conference play, 4 elite eights, and a championship is nothing to dismiss. Basketball is a different type of animal. You'll be hard-pressed to find dominant players who are willing to play 3-4 years in a program...majority of the basketball coaches just cant graduate a strong class and re-load the next year. Who does Billy Donovan have for next year? Not convinced? Look at Krzyzewski. He lost McRoberts today. Duke is looking really paltry right about now. Michigan State? UCONN? UK fans are really ungrateful. And the SEC is eons better today than in 90's...The UK fans need to get off that glass pipe.

I'm not dismissing what he's accomplished; I'm just pointing out how they think about it at UK. Are they ungrateful? Sure, but they'll pay for great coaches until they win another title.  

Tubby had some really big shoes to fill. Obviously the SEC has been strong, but UK hasn't been the same for 8 or so years.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

They won the SEC regular season title in 2005..

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Tubby has been a GOOD Coach, however, UK demands greatness and good doesn't cut it, he is the first Coach in UK history to have five seasons of ten losses or more.  Lets not forget that Tubby won the Title with Ricky P's boys and the kids had to lobby Tubby to play an uptempo style game midway thru that season.  If the team did not lobby for that change Tubby doesn't win the NC.  Another Coach that UK may go after is Coach D for the Phoenix Suns, he is from WVa and would be closer to home and not have to take a pay cut.