Pelphrey to be interviewed

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

No way Pelphrey is in line for the Kentucky job. They have bigger fish to fry. They aren't going to buyout Tubby for $4 M and then bring in the current coach at USA.

Tubby is gone this year. They aren't going to wait 2 years. Anyone not smart enough to sign Brewer from UF and Lofton from UT when they were begging to go to Kentucky is a terrible recruiter. Their boosters have said they have no problem coming up with the $4M buyout.

I think they make a hard run at Donovan after the tourney. He didn't sign an extension last year when offered. He is either going to take a huge pile of cash from Kentucky or use it as leverage to sign with Florida. Personally I think he could be gone after this year. All his players are leaving.

If they don't get Donovan then I think they bring in Gillespie. They want a guy who has proven he can coach at a higher level then the Sunbelt conference.

He should be a good fit for us though. Especially considering we still have Sunbelt facilities!!

My boss is a big booster for South Alabama.  In fact, he bought out the entire facility for one of the games last year and offered free tickets to anyone who wanted to come see them play to try and help USA build a fan base.  When it comes to South or Alabama, he's usually pretty in tune with what's going on.  He nailed the Saban stuff well before it was public so I wouldn't be surprised if he knew about this as well.

One thing we agree on is Tubby is very close to being out.  And I didn't say JP would have to wait two years before going to Kentucky, but that the boosters here feel that in two years Tubby will be gone.  If Tubby goes THIS YEAR, then JP could very well be making the switch immediately.  He has all the right pedigree to do that job and KENTUCKY alone will bring you 4 and 5 star recruits.  Then it's all about maximizing effort and having a good scheme.  If you saw the way South played Syracuse (who was SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER); then you'd know he has the brains to win at Kentucky.

Trust me, NO ONE gets excited about coming to play at USA, so it's not like he's getting stud players and the others in the Sun Belt aren't.  All of them are dead even and coaching is the difference in that league.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruger7mmmag

• Bull94

• Held_AccountaBull

• Joe

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't this program get a top notch coach with a known quantity.

Why do we always have to recruit Eastern Michigan, South Alabama, NorthWest Utah Coastal..

can't we get someone from a top program.

sigh

Not for $300K!  You get what you pay for...

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

No way Pelphrey is in line for the Kentucky job. They have bigger fish to fry. They aren't going to buyout Tubby for $4 M and then bring in the current coach at USA.

Tubby is gone this year. They aren't going to wait 2 years. Anyone not smart enough to sign Brewer from UF and Lofton from UT when they were begging to go to Kentucky is a terrible recruiter. Their boosters have said they have no problem coming up with the $4M buyout.

I think they make a hard run at Donovan after the tourney. He didn't sign an extension last year when offered. He is either going to take a huge pile of cash from Kentucky or use it as leverage to sign with Florida. Personally I think he could be gone after this year. All his players are leaving.

If they don't get Donovan then I think they bring in Gillespie. They want a guy who has proven he can coach at a higher level then the Sunbelt conference.

He should be a good fit for us though. Especially considering we still have Sunbelt facilities!!

My boss is a big booster for South Alabama.  In fact, he bought out the entire facility for one of the games last year and offered free tickets to anyone who wanted to come see them play to try and help USA build a fan base.  When it comes to South or Alabama, he's usually pretty in tune with what's going on.  He nailed the Saban stuff well before it was public so I wouldn't be surprised if he knew about this as well.

One thing we agree on is Tubby is very close to being out.  And I didn't say JP would have to wait two years before going to Kentucky, but that the boosters here feel that in two years Tubby will be gone.  If Tubby goes THIS YEAR, then JP could very well be making the switch immediately.  He has all the right pedigree to do that job and KENTUCKY alone will bring you 4 and 5 star recruits.  Then it's all about maximizing effort and having a good scheme.  If you saw the way South played Syracuse (who was SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER); then you'd know he has the brains to win at Kentucky.

Trust me, NO ONE gets excited about coming to play at USA, so it's not like he's getting stud players and the others in the Sun Belt aren't.  All of them are dead even and coaching is the difference in that league.

maybe that's the rumor to get the coach a pay raise or to make the boosters feel good about who they have but with the money UK has there is no way they bring in a guy that goes 36-48 in his first 3 years at USA.

They will make a run at the big names.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

This has probably been discussed before and I missed it, but what type of play does Pelphrey run? for offense and defense. how does he react during games? is he energetic? For some reason, due to the fact that I haven't seen him coach and he was a former assistant at Florida , I keep thinking he is another Mccullum knockoff.

I don't get USF basketball games here (I order the football ones) on TV so I mainly follow USF through articles and this board so I don't know what CRM was like.  Pelphrey is pretty animated, high energy and does a great job at game planning for teams.  South never has very big guys so they usually play up tempo on offense and try to run the floor and are big at shooting the 3.  

He does a great job at trying to tailor his game plan to his opponent.  I bring the Cuse game up again.  Syracuse had South WHOOPED down on the blocks so what does South do?  He comes out basically with 4 shooters and then double and triple teamed the big stud in the middle to make Cuse hit their long jumpers.  He basically said, let's make this a long range shooting game and whoever shoots better wins.

If he coaches that game any differently, Cuse wins by 20 EASY.  They were that much better than the South team.  As you can see by the run Cuse made, they should've been in the tourney.

So you can't really say, "Pelphrey runs this or that" bc he adapts based on the opponent.  

The problem is he isn't a big enough name to get the recruits to South Florida where he'd have the talent to do substantially better than CRM.  

This is a tough league and unless you can bring in STUDS, you'll be a sub .500 team.  Shoot, to go .500 in this league is an accomplishment.

Who knows, maybe this publicity he's getting right now may build enough excitement behind his name as an "upcoming Donovan" that he might have more sway in recruiting at USF; but we won't know that until he gets here if he does at all.

As far as a game coach, he's very good and everyone in the community likes him.  Very stand up guy and tells it like it is.  If they sucked, he said on the radio they sucked.  That's the kind of coach I like.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

I don't get USF basketball games here (I order the football ones) on TV so I mainly follow USF through articles and this board so I don't know what CRM was like.  Pelphrey is pretty animated, high energy and does a great job at game planning for teams.  South never has very big guys so they usually play up tempo on offense and try to run the floor and are big at shooting the 3.  

He does a great job at trying to tailor his game plan to his opponent.  I bring the Cuse game up again.  Syracuse had South WHOOPED down on the blocks so what does South do?  He comes out basically with 4 shooters and then double and triple teamed the big stud in the middle to make Cuse hit their long jumpers.  He basically said, let's make this a long range shooting game and whoever shoots better wins.

If he coaches that game any differently, Cuse wins by 20 EASY.  They were that much better than the South team.  As you can see by the run Cuse made, they should've been in the tourney.

So you can't really say, "Pelphrey runs this or that" bc he adapts based on the opponent.  

The problem is he isn't a big enough name to get the recruits to South Florida where he'd have the talent to do substantially better than CRM.  

This is a tough league and unless you can bring in STUDS, you'll be a sub .500 team.  Shoot, to go .500 in this league is an accomplishment.

Who knows, maybe this publicity he's getting right now may build enough excitement behind his name as an "upcoming Donovan" that he might have more sway in recruiting at USF; but we won't know that until he gets here if he does at all.

As far as a game coach, he's very good and everyone in the community likes him.  Very stand up guy and tells it like it is.  If they sucked, he said on the radio they sucked.  That's the kind of coach I like.

thanks for the analysis! I kinda like what I hear.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

He was on a recruiting trip at the Junior College championship...Sigh.

What are the chances of USF getting a coach that doesn't have to scour the JC universe for talent?

Rueb. He's at freaking SOUTH ALABAMA. He's NOT getting decent kids out of high school to that school.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

we always seem to get the guy from South Alabama.

What is wrong with Quinn Snyder?

Why do we always get the Hyundai?

Can we atleast get a Honda this time?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

What is wrong with Quinn Snyder?

3 player arrests

2 Assistant Coach resignations

2 years of 2 lost scholarships

1 year off campus recruiting ban

Plus a lot of losses.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

LOL, if Tubby Smith is let go after this season, Pelphrey is going to be the guy UK hires?  Please.

I dont know about this guy, we should have just stuck with Mac if we were going to hire the guy from the direcectional school of South alabama.  Here we go again.