Pelphrey to be interviewed

flsportsfan83

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,759
  • Content Count:  17,674
  • Days Won:  13

South Alabama coach draws USF's attention

The Bulls can talk with John Pelphrey about their basketball coaching vacancy.

By GREG AUMAN

Published March 20, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADVERTISEMENT

Sports News Video

TAMPA - In his first known move directed at an up-and-coming basketball coach, USF athletic director Doug Woolard has contacted the University of South Alabama for permission to speak with coach John Pelphrey.

Pelphrey, 38, who spent eight years working under Florida coach Billy Donovan, has a 44-19 record in the past two seasons with the Jaguars. He could not be reached for comment, but South Alabama athletic director Joe Gottfried confirmed Monday that Woolard had called over the weekend.

Pelphrey played at Kentucky under coach Rick Pitino from 1988-92 and had his No. 34 jersey retired by the Wildcats. He is the most established of Donovan's former assistants, with an 80-69 record in four seasons in Mobile. After a 24-7 record and an NCAA Tournament berth last season, South Alabama went 20-12 this season, losing Wednesday to Syracuse in the first round of the NIT.

Woolard, who is not commenting on prospective candidates, is seeking a replacement for Robert McCullum, who was fired March 9 after four seasons, including a 4-28 record in two seasons of Big East play.

Former coaches such as Mike Jarvis and George "Tick" Price have expressed interest in the job, but the only other candidate whom Woolard has reportedly requested permission to speak with is Connecticut associate head coach Tom Moore, an assistant under Jim Calhoun for 13 seasons.

Other unconfirmed candidates who are interested in the Bulls opening, according to recent online reports, include former Virginia coach Pete Gillen and George Washington coach Karl Hobbs.

[Last modified March 20, 2007, 01:20:31]

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/20/Sports/South_Alabama_coach_d.shtml

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruger7mmmag

• Bull94

• Held_AccountaBull

• Joe

Top Posters In This Topic

South Alabama's Pelphrey Interviews For USF Position

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Mar 20, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

More from this channel:

Search for more information:

Site Search Archives Keyword  

TBO.com Site Search | Tribune archive from 1990

TAMPA - South Alabama coach John Pelphrey became the second candidate to interview with University of South Florida athletic director Doug Woolard about the Bulls' coaching position.

In five seasons at South Alabama Pelphrey is 80-67. South Alabama AD Joe Gottfried said he gave Woolard permission to speak with Pelphrey.

The meeting with Pelphrey, a former University of Kentucky star, occurred a couple of days after Woolard met with former Virginia coach Pete Gillen.

Pelphrey, 38, could not be reached for comment and Woolard has said he will not comment during the search process.

Before coming to South Alabama, Pelphrey was an assistant under Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma State and Billy Donovan at Marshall and Florida. After going 36-48 his first three seasons with the Jaguars, Pelphrey is 44-19 the past two seasons with an NCAA Tournament and NIT appearance.

The Jags won this year's Sun Belt regular-season title, but were upset in the Sun Belt Tournament.

UMass coach Travis Ford, another former UK standout, reportedly was scheduled to fly to Tampa on Monday and meet with Woolard, but did not make the trip.

"I've just been busy recruiting," Ford told the Daily Hampshire (Mass.) Gazette on Monday. "It's flattering. It's always good to be wanted. There's no question.

"It's obviously a reflection on the success that we've had here taking over a program that's struggled a little bit. I don't ever go out and seek jobs."

UMass AD John McCutcheon would not confirm if Woolard sought permission to speak with the 37-year old Ford, whose Minutemen tied for their first Atlantic 10 Conference regular-season title since 1996.

McCutcheon told the Daily Hampshire Gazette earlier this month he was open to renegotiating Ford's contract, which runs through 2010 and has a $200,000 base salary and the opportunity to earn about an additional $170,000 in incentives.

Pelphrey, who was in the mix for the Ole Miss and Nebraska jobs last season, received a new contract ($202,000 base salary with up to $100,000 in incentives) last year though 2010.

Former USF coach Robert McCullum had a base salary of $225,000 with a total package of about $310,000.

USF also reportedly sought permission to speak with Eastern Kentucky coach Jeff Neubauer, a former West Virginia assistant, but he was not interested. EKU AD Mark Sandy would not comment on "personal matters."

Reporter Brett McMurphy can be reached at (813) 259-7928 or bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

Here is his bio from the school site -- not sure what to think of this guy.  He has been around some really good programs and is associated with some really good names like Donovan and Petino..

go figure.  my gut is telling me this is the guy woolard wants to hire.

---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtesy: South Alabama

Release: 07/30/2006  

According to head coach John Pelphrey, year number five holds great promise for the University of South Alabama Jaguars.  Pelphrey’s three previous years of team building laid the foundation for last season’s 24-7 record overall and 12-3 mark in conference play.   In season number four, Pelphrey led the Jags to win the Sun Belt Conference West Division title, Sun Belt Conference championship and a berth in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998.  

“Last year was a result of trying to do things the right way,†Pelphrey said.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“Our coaches and players worked very hard and everyone involved in our administration understood what was taking place, as well.â€Â

Last year’s strong backcourt, combined with a frontcourt featuring speed, athleticism, and skill will be enhanced by additional height in the front court this season.  Pelphrey’s recruitment has reloaded the lineup to better position the Jags to maintain the high ground they’ve gained.

Pelphrey became the sixth head coach in school history to record a .500 or better winning record in his first year as a head coach during his inaugural year in two, 2003.  He became the ninth Jaguar coach in the school’s 35-year history when he was hired as head coach on March 22, 2002.  Pelphrey has a 60-55 record in his four years at USA, ranking him fifth in school history.  Last season, Pelphrey earned Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year honors as he guided the Jaguars to the best turnaround in the nation, from 10-18 in 2004-05 to 24-7 in 2005-06.

An assistant coach in the college ranks for nine years (1993-2002), Pelphrey came to South Alabama after spending six seasons at the University of Florida as an assistant to Billy Donovan.

After a stellar four-year playing career at the University of Kentucky under coaches Rick Pitino and Eddie Sutton, Pelphrey accepted his first assistant coaching job at Oklahoma State where he spent the 1993-94 season. One year later, he moved to Marshall University and joined Donovan where he helped in the resurgence of the Thundering Herd program.

In 1996, he followed Donovan from Marshall to Florida and helped the Gators to a school record four straight NCAA Tournament appearances from 1999 to 2002. During the 1999-2000 season, the Gators made their first-ever appearance in the national championship game against Michigan State. This past season, Pelphrey was another part of history as the Gators recorded their fourth straight 20-win season.

While a player at Kentucky from 1988-1992, Pelphrey led the Wildcats to the Southeastern Conference Tournament Championship and a NCAA Tournament appearance, including the epic battle with Duke in the 1992 Elite Eight. Pelphrey was a two-time captain while at Kentucky and in 1999 was named the UK Student Athlete of the Year.  In 2005, Pelphrey was inducted into the Kentucky Hall of Fame.

Following graduation in 1992, Pelphrey played professional basketball overseas in France and Spain. A former Mr. Basketball at Paintsville High School in Kentucky, he is married to the former Tracy Lyon. The couple has two children, a son Jaxson Hamilton (10) and daughter Ann-Marie Grace Donovan (7).

THE PELPHREY FILE:

Birthdate: July 18, 1968

Height: 6-foot-7

Hometown: Paintsville, Ky.

College Playing Experience: Four years at the University of Kentucky (1989-1992)

Professional Playing Experience: Played in France and Spain for one season

Coaching Experience: Head Coach – South Alabama (2003-present); Assistant Coach – Oklahoma State University (1993-94); Marshall University (1994-96); University of Florida (1996-2002).

Family: Wife – Tracy (Lyon); children – son Jaxson Hamilton (10); daughter Ann-Marie Grace Donovan (7)  

Other things to note:

* He is one of 29 former Kentucky Wildcat players to have his jersey retired (#34)

* Pelphrey was on the sidelines when Florida handed South Alabama an 82-61 loss on Dec. 30, 1999

* While an assistant at Oklahoma State, Pelphrey worked under Eddie Sutton, the same guy he played under at Kentucky during his freshman year

* In 1987, Pelphrey was named Mr. Basketball for the state of Kentucky at Paintsville High School. Finished his prep career with 2,477 points and 1,316 rebounds

* In high school, he was a pitcher and a shortstop for the baseball team

* In 1991 and prior to Pelphrey’s senior year at UK, coach Rick Pitino was quoted as saying:

“I wouldn’t trade John Pelphrey for any player in America.â€Â

* All-SEC first-team forward in 1991; second team by AP

* Played on 1992 Kentucky team that lost to Duke in the NCAA Elite Eight, a game that is considered one of the best games of all-time

* Seven of his nine teams as assistant coach have recorded winning records

* Has appeared in six NCAA Tournaments; one as a player (1992) and five as an assistant (1994, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002)

* Started 90 of 114 games at Kentucky and finished his career with an 11.0 scoring average

Year-By-Year Records for John Pelphrey

Head Coach at South Alabama (2003-present)

2002-03 14-14

2003-04 12-16 No. 8 seed @ SBC Tournament

2004-05 10-18

2005-06 24-7

4-Year Totals 60-55

Overall Records W-L Pct.

Totals as a Player 78-46 (.629)

Totals as an Assistant Coach 183-95 (.658)

Current Total as Head Coach 60-55 (.522)

Totals 321-196 (.621)

What others are saying about John Pelphrey

Florida head coach Billy Donovan

"John Pelphrey is a phenomenal coach, and I think people realize and respect that, but he's an even better person. He understands about developing student-athletes as people, not just as players. John sets the highest standards in values and integrity and instills these values in the young men he teaches. His work ethic and passion have made him a

success at every level of basketball, from a player to an assistant to the transition to a head coach. He is building something very special at South Alabama."

University of Florida Athletics Director Jeremy Foley

"John is a man of vision, an architect, and someone who understands the process of building a program from the ground up. He connects well with people on every level. He is a man of great values, a great teacher, a great role model for the student-athletes he mentors, and has been a success everywhere he has been because of these qualities."

Louisville head coach Rick Pitino

“John Pelphrey was one of the most intelligent players that I have ever coached.  His leadership on the court has carried over to the sidelines.  As a coach, he is one of the brightest young stars in our game.â€Â

ESPN College Basketball Analyst Jimmy Dykes

"South Alabama players play the game of basketball just like their coach John Pelphrey played it when he was in college. Maximum effort, great intensity and a passion for winning that few can match. He coaches the game like he played it, understanding it is a privilege to compete at the highest level. John Pelphrey is a winner."

Former Florida Gator and current member of the NBA San Antonio Spurs Matt Bonner

“Coach Pelphrey was not only my coach, but my teacher and friend.  His experience, passion for the game, and tutelage was key in helping me get to the NBA.â€Â

This guy would be my #1 choice.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

I just don't think this is the right guy for the job, we need a known name to come in here who can convince recruits that we are going to turn this team around. Recruits probably don't even know who Pelphrey is.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I recall some great national articles being written about Pelphrey last year just prior to the start of the NCAA tournament.  It looks like he would be a solid, young guy that has been around winning big time basketball all his life and knows what it takes to win.

I like the experience he would bring of making the biggest turnaround of any college program in the country.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I just don't think this is the right guy for the job, we need a known name to come in here who can convince recruits that we are going to turn this team around. Recruits probably don't even know who Pelphrey is.

What name is out there?

Gillen?

Jarvis?

Lavin?

Nothing so sexy that it would instantly make USF credible like a Bobby Knight to Texas Tech situation.

Billy Donovan wasn't a "name" before he came to Florida, yet somehow he got it turned around and had recruits believing that UF was the place to be. What about Bruce Pearl at Tennessee? Or Dave Leito at Virginia?

Names are fun to get sometimes, but many times you can end up paying for the "name" and not the results. Ask FSU.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

storymast_pr_411x50.gif

South Florida to talk to Pelphrey

South Alabama's Joe Gottfried confirms Bulls sought permission to talk to Jags coach Tuesday

March 20, 2007

By KIM SHUGARTSports Reporter

South Alabama Athletics Director Joe Gottfired confirmed on Monday that USA basketball coach John Pelphrey is being considered for the head coaching position at South Florida.

Gottfried said that South Florida Athletics Director Doug Woolard contacted him over the weekend.

"He wanted permission to speak with John," Gottfried said today from his office on the South Alabama campus. "They are in the preliminary stages of their coaching search, and John is one of the coaches they have an interest in."

Attempts to reach Pelphrey Monday were unsuccessful. The USA head coach was on a recruiting trip in Hutchinson, Kan., attending the National Junior College Championship.

Pelphrey just finished his fifth season with the Jaguars, winning the Sun Belt Conference regular-season title and earning a berth in the National Invitation Tournament where they dropped a 79-73 decision to Syracuse last week in the first round.

South Alabama finished the year with a 20-12 record, giving Pelphrey a 80-69 record with the Jaguars. USA was 24-7 a year ago and reached the NCAA tournament where it lost to eventual national champion Florida in the first round.

"I don't know their timetable, but I don't think they're close to any kind of decision," added Gottfried.

This is the second consecutive year Pelphrey has been mentioned as a candidate for a major-conference opening. Last year, he was a finalist for the Ole Miss head coaching position.

Pelphrey, 38, signed a three-year contract extension with South Alabama last March. His total package is worth approximately $260,000 per year. The contract runs through 2010.

South Florida is searching for someone to replace Robert McCullum. The Big East school fired McCullum after the Bulls finished the 2007 season with a 12-18 record.

McCullum, a former South Alabama assistant, was 40-76 in four years with South Florida. The Bulls tied for 14th in the Big East this year with a 3-13 record.

Another candidate South Florida has reportedly sought permission to contact is Connecticut associate head coach Tom Moore. According to the St. Petersburg Times, former head coaches Mike Jarvis, Tic Price and Pete Gillen have expressed interest in the opening.

Link

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

JP would be a great hire for USF, he is young, motivated, and knows the Florida area from his days at UF.  He also has contacts in Bama and Kentucky which would help in recruiting.  JP was a Larry Bird type player at Kentucky, a jack of all trades and savvy.  I hope Doug pulls the trigger soon and hires JP.

The only thing I dont like about Pelphrey is that he may very well be the next coack at UK. If he stayed here for 3 years and got the program on the right track that would be great. We could go out and get that big name. If Tubby got fired next year that and Pelphrey moved in that would be a major set back.