Santiago looking for shot with af2's Firecats

___ Eats It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070311/SPORTS/703110325/1075

Firecats kick off; add a Gramatica

By Craig Handel

The Florida Firecats will begin their arenafootball2 league workouts today with the most battles for positions in team history.

One position, kicker, could be filled by Santiago Gramatica, the former LaBelle High and University of South Florida star. Firecats coach Kevin Bouis said he has signed with the team but won't report until March 19.

The Firecats announced the additions of receivers Chris McKinney, Anthony Rozier and Carlos Ousley. Florida also announced the return of linebacker Alfred Peterson and defensive lineman Keith Drayton, as well as the addition of af2 rookie defensive back Matt Castillo.

Offensive and defensive players reported Friday.

After physicals this morning, players will have three hours of practice at Estero's Pop Warner fields, followed by another three hours Sunday.

New af2 rules allow free substitution, which doesn't require players to play both ways, so Bouis has brought in true offensive and defensive linemen.

"I thought that last year we had the most competitive or talented camp," Bouis said. "But this is the most competitive camp we've had. Some of our veteran two-way guys now will be competing against natural one-way players."

Gramatica, the third of the kicking Gramaticas, will have competition from Andy Eminger, an indoor-league veteran who played at Ohio State.

Gramatica was a four-year starter for South Florida from 2001-05. In his last season, he made 7 of 11 field-goal attempts and 23 of 24 extra-point tries.

Gramatica's brother Martin recently signed a two-year deal with the Dallas Cowboys. Bill's looking for a team to play for.

"I saw him last year when he and his brothers were at Tampa for a private workout," Bouis said. "Santiago was going to New York to tryout for the Dragons. I wanted to sign Santiago then but I didn't have a chance. I didn't know he was still interested until I got a call from his agent saying he definitely was interested and wanted to come in."

Other local players on the Firecats' roster include former Fort Myers High products Richard Washington, a receiver; Jason Allen, a linebacker; and Drayton. Thay also have defensive lineman Terrance Chapman, a Lehigh Senior product.

Drayton, a 6-foot-1, 270-pounder, has played in 34 games for the Firecats since 2003 and has a total of 9.5 sacks.

Peterson led the Firecats' defensive linemen with 33 tackles and 2.5 sacks last season. McKiney played for the South Georgia Wildcats the past three seasons. He was a 2006 All-af2 second-team special-teams player He and quarterback Chris Wallace were teammates in 2004 with Cape Fear.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Middle brother Bill is not on the TB Storm roster after missing 4 extra points in their first game.