Where Are They Now?  -- Yusuf Baker

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Found this story about the school Yusuf Baker ended his career with.  I remember sitting in the student section during the ONE season we had him.  TONS of potential...shot blocking/rebounding machine!!  Too bad Seth didn't care about his lack of discipline...

Mountain State falls to Park in region title game

COLUMBIA, S.C.  Voorhees had a hand in unseating No. 4 Mountain State as the Independent Regional champion after all.

One day after blasting Voorhees University 107-80, Mountain State was up against another Voorhees  Brandon Voorhees of No. 9 Park (Mo).

And the smooth Pirate, the Independent Regions leading scorer, powered Park to a 93-82 win with 35 points to claim the school’s first Independent Region championship. With it, Park receives an automatic bid to the national tournament in Kansas City beginning March 14.

Voorhees had 14 points in the final 2:55 on a 20-0 Park run to end the game.

In a see-saw affair, Mountain State had gone ahead 82-73, its biggest lead of the game, on a runout basket from Adron Marshall that capped a 7-0 Cougar run.

From that point on, it was all Park.

Voorhees had a three-pointer and a turnaround as the Pirates cut the lead to 82-80.

After Donald Merriweather tied it at 82, Voorhees converted a three-point play, the first of nine straight free throws in the final 40.7 seconds to seal the victory.

Four came late when a Cougar’s Assistant Coach was hit with two technical fouls.

It is the first time since 2002 that MSU won’t enter the national tournament as the Independent champion.

“They had a great will to win the game at the end and we didn’t execute anything,†MSU coach Bob Bolen said. “Give them all the credit. They had the will to win.â€Â

Mountain State, which led by five briefly in the first half, trailed by four at the break, 43-39.

Park went ahead by as many as eight (51-43), but a 23-7 MSU run, capped by a Paul Wright three-point play, turned that deficit into an eight-point lead, 66-58.

Again, Park (24-8) fought back to retake the lead, with a 15-5 run.

That’s when MSU went on a 13-1 run to set up the final, and what turned out to be all Park, 2:55.

Paul Wright led the Cougars with 30 points and Ralph Legg added 20. Yusuf Baker had 17 and Ermin Tarcin had six, but fouled out with 9:03 remaining.

MSU (27-5) will find out its seed for the national tournament Tuesday.

The national tournament begins Wednesday, March 14. The first round spans two days, Wednesday and Thursday.

32.jpg

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

From what I've read in other articles, he turned into a tremendous 3 pt shooter... go figure.

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

maybe its all that clean mountain air ::)

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

thanks for starting this thread, I loe these "where are they now" posts. Would be nice if we could track down whats going on with some of the other guys from Seth's era in similar threads. Would be interested. What ever happened with BB and Altron, they playing somewhere?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I heard BB works at a grocery store now somewhere near Lakeland.  Tron is still playing.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
From what I've read in other articles, he turned into a tremendous 3 pt shooter... go figure.

No indication of that from what I saw....mostly reports of monster dunks, agressive rebounding, and lots of blocked shots.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The last I heard Tron was playing in Germany with the nickname of Dr. Dunk.

med_1458_13.jpg

While domestic success has become tradition for Telekom Baskets Bonn in the German League, the club is still looking for its first big success in the ULEB Cup. Telekom Bonn has finished in first or second place at the end of the German League regular season in each of the past four seasons, but in two years of ULEB Cup involvement its best group stage finish is fifth. Coach Predrag Krunic is back on the bench for his fourth season as head coach. This year, coach Krunic will count on several new players, like big man Aleksandar Djuric and top gun Branko Milisavljevic, who should mean an even more balanced squad this year. Also key is the return of the team's second and third leading scorers, Aleksandar Nadjfeji and Altron Jackson. Telekom Bonn has had enough success in Germany to know what it takes to win, so applying that knowledge in the 2004-05 ULEB Cup is the task at hand.

Read more

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The OPEL SKYLINERS were far from their level that they had showed against Bonn two weeks ago. Frankfurt will have to keep dreaming about a second cup win after 2000. Even though Bonn will not be in the playoffs, they showed that they were of playoff calibur today. "We have waited three months for a performance like this. We were quick and very concentrated and our defense was superb", expressed the very happy mananger Jochen Luksch of the Telekom Baskets Bonn. Bonn will face Rhein Energie Colonge in the final, who had defeated Ludwigsburg earlier in the day.

Most of the game was controlled by the Telekom Baskets Bonn. The OPEL SKYLINERS had led a comeback in the fourth quarter. Spyro Panteliadis had cut the lead to 83-81 and had one last free throw. Frankfurt needed the ball back with 2 seconds, so Panteliadis missed the shot, hoping for a rebound, but Altron DR DUNK Jackson hauled down the rebound and sealed the victory for Bonn. However, the game was decided in the first quarter. "They had a great start and built on their confidence. They had nothing to lose and it´s never easy to come back into the game when an opponent has so much momentum", described a sad Jukka Matinen. Bonn already had a 22 to 7 lead after seven minutes. "We missed too many open three pointers, at one point four in a row. Usually, we make one or two out of four. We also missed too many free throws. We could not control Nadjfeji or Jackson. If we had hit more of our shots early on, then I think we could have won this game", analysed assistant coach Simon Cote. The OPEL SKYLINERS kept fighting back, but Bonn was simply too strong. Everytime Frankfurt got close, Bonn would hit a three pointer. The comeback took a lot of energy and in the end Frankfurt ran out of gas.

Read more