The longer Woolard takes, The less likely...

JoeBulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Kansas State sure found a quick answer after years of losing.

Texas Tech found a quick answer after years and years of losing.

Texas turned around a perenial sub-par program with the addition of Rick Barnes.

Maryland was in the gutter before the brought in Gary Williams.

I can't think of a single decent coach that was losing in excess of 10 conference games in his fourth year at a program.

i am sure somebody on this board will dig up one or two, but for the most part, nobody is losing 12 and 13 conference games in their fourth season and still holding a job.

The guy has lost 20 straight road conference games.

And YES quick fixes do occur.

Kansas State just won 21 games for the first time in forever.

Texas Tech won like 20 games the year Knight came aboard.

Let see did you know that Knight's budget for basketball at Texas Tech is 8.25 million? Thats FOUR times our budget for basketball.

Huggy's at Kansas State's is 3.01 million thats 1 million more than ours.

So while its always good to point out successes its also good to look at what financial backing has been given to those coaches to succeed.

The avg budget in Big 12 is 4.2 mill the avg budget in Big East is 4.52 mill

USF's budget is 1.98 mill

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeBulls

• Brad

• Joe

• Bull94

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Kansas State sure found a quick answer after years of losing.

Except K-State hasn't has a losing season since 2002-2003.

Texas Tech found a quick answer after years and years of losing.

They were great in the mid-90s. Then they got caught cheating. Bobby Knight stepped in when those sanctions were finishing.

Texas turned around a perenial sub-par program with the addition of Rick Barnes.

Subpar? Are you serious? They were in the NCAA tourny in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997...Barnes was hired in 1999. He took a solid program to the "great" level...

Maryland was in the gutter before the brought in Gary Williams.

Ya, because their best player and top NBA draft pick died from a cocaine overdose. It led to Lefty Drissel's resignation

I can't think of a single decent coach that was losing in excess of 10 conference games in his fourth year at a program

i am sure somebody on this board will dig up one or two, but for the most part, nobody is losing 12 and 13 conference games in their fourth season and still holding a job.

The guy has lost 20 straight road conference games..

I'm sure if I had time I could find one. I haven;t looked it up but I know for a fact Coach K had three losing seasons to start at Duke.

And YES quick fixes do occur.

At programs with money and the footprint for success.

Kansas State just won 21 games for the first time in forever.

Texas Tech won like 20 games the year Knight came aboard.

Amazing programs that had MONEY and success before winning games when a good coach comes in. Quick name the last time you'd say we had "success"

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  36
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think Woolard really has a choice.  He must get rid of RMC.  We have not won a big east road game in 2 seasons.  We have only won 4 out of 32 games overall in the big east.  And we are now the only team out of 16 not to qualify for the big east tournament in at least one of the two seasons!  How many more chances can we keep giving him.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Woolard better be working on finding CRM's replacement. I can't think of any other reason that we haven't heard anything yet.

I am almost certain that he knows whether or not CRM will be returning next year; I just hope he's up in NYC talking to some BE assistants....It would be a dream come true if he could lure Mike Hopkins from Syracuse.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Reub,

Your Dirk Diggler pic has me rolling on the floor!!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  477

I too had high hopes after the Marquette and ND games--it looked like the team had really come together--in the 7 losses that followed, we looked, as a poster above said, mostly lost.  The new coach will have much more to work with than Seth left RM, and I hope we have the money to get someone good.  

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

I don't think Woolard really has a choice.  He must get rid of RMC.  We have not won a big east road game in 2 seasons.  We have only won 4 out of 32 games overall in the big east.  And we are now the only team out of 16 not to qualify for the big east tournament in at least one of the two seasons!  How many more chances can we keep giving him.

Geez, such common sense...let's take a step back, and ask ourselves a question:

Should the coach of a team who has lost EVERY conference road game in two years be asked to come back?  The choices are:

1.  Yes, I like losing basketball with no hope and being a laughingstock in the conference. I'd write more, but my mom is making me cereal for dinner and i need to go.....

2.  Hell no, I have higher expectations for my school and my team, and no matter the cost, I'd find a way to deal myself 5 new cards of uncertainty, than keep 5 that have proven to be losers.

Come on, Apologists, vote!!

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Geez, such common sense...let's take a step back, and ask ourselves a question:

Should the coach of a team who has lost EVERY conference road game in two years be asked to come back?  The choices are:

1.  Yes, I like losing basketball with no hope and being a laughingstock in the conference. I'd write more, but my mom is making me cereal for dinner and i need to go.....

2.  Hell no, I have higher expectations for my school and my team, and [highlight]no matter the cost, I'd find a way to deal myself 5 new cards of uncertainty, than keep 5 that have proven to be losers.[/highlight]

Come on, Apologists, vote!!

Bravo, sir.  Very well put.

:applause

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,761
  • Content Count:  17,689
  • Days Won:  13

Here's how I feel.

Do I think RMC is a terrible coach? No. Do I think he's a great (or has the potential to be a great Coach)? Probably not. He could be solid.

I don't know if RMC could ever turn it around here. Maybe he can but he hasn't com close yet.

However, I do know this his performance to this date is subpar. There is always "potential." Every school can sit and name guys that are "all-something" and should be a great addition. Thats what many USF fans have done the last 2 years. When we redshirted Buckley, the discussion of how great Mattis was going to be, when it came to KG, Varejo, when it came to Howard, now its Holmes.  

There has to be a point where you say, "Ok. It might be bad luck, it might be the coach, it might be the program, but we need to move on."

I think a lot of it has to do with talent. I just don't think there is enough BE talent on this team. Do I blame the coaching staff? Not fully. There isn't much money, there isn't really a tradition or history, the facilities are average. However, RMC has constantly tried to build this team on transfers and JuCo players. It's hard to develop that talent when you have 2 years with them.

The darksiders need to understand that there is NO quick answer. no coach is coming in and making this team NCAA Tourny caliber (NIT would be hard). There is not magic fix here.

I said last year that RMC deserved one more year to prove to me that he might be able to overcome these problems and make progress. After the ND win I thought there was a possibility, but this team has looked lost and like they are going nowhere. KG's stats were great at Depaul, but we still got smoked.

I feel a change is needed and I really hope that this change doesn't hinge on finaces. If it does, then USF basketball is in serious trouble for years to come.

nobody has anything to say about this post. Seems logical to me.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Here's how I feel.

Do I think RMC is a terrible coach? No. Do I think he's a great (or has the potential to be a great Coach)? Probably not. He could be solid.

I don't know if RMC could ever turn it around here. Maybe he can but he hasn't com close yet.

However, I do know this his performance to this date is subpar. There is always "potential." Every school can sit and name guys that are "all-something" and should be a great addition. Thats what many USF fans have done the last 2 years. When we redshirted Buckley, the discussion of how great Mattis was going to be, when it came to KG, Varejo, when it came to Howard, now its Holmes.  

There has to be a point where you say, "Ok. It might be bad luck, it might be the coach, it might be the program, but we need to move on."

I think a lot of it has to do with talent. I just don't think there is enough BE talent on this team. Do I blame the coaching staff? Not fully. There isn't much money, there isn't really a tradition or history, the facilities are average. However, RMC has constantly tried to build this team on transfers and JuCo players. It's hard to develop that talent when you have 2 years with them.

The darksiders need to understand that there is NO quick answer. no coach is coming in and making this team NCAA Tourny caliber (NIT would be hard). There is not magic fix here.

I said last year that RMC deserved one more year to prove to me that he might be able to overcome these problems and make progress. After the ND win I thought there was a possibility, but this team has looked lost and like they are going nowhere. KG's stats were great at Depaul, but we still got smoked.

I feel a change is needed and I really hope that this change doesn't hinge on finaces. If it does, then USF basketball is in serious trouble for years to come.

nobody has anything to say about this post. Seems logical to me.

I'll respond to that post.

I disagree that his performance has been subpar relatively speaking.

He is the lowest paid coach with the worst facilities and the lowest budget in a basketball power conference in only his 2nd year. Why does anybody expect any coach to finish higher than 16th place given these conditions? I think he actually exceeded expectations by finishing higher than 16th considering this and many experts who picked us to finish dead last again would agree.

I have no problem bringing in transfers. Lots of programs do it. Should we as a program regardless of the coach be expected to recruit against the likes of LSU, Purdue, Arizona, FSU etc for these kids straight out of high school? Not in the position we are currently in.

Do we say "no" to a Gransberry when he wants to come here? How about Holmes? The #1 at his position in the state of Florida who everybody wanted decides to transfer in with 3 years left and we just say "sorry we only take high school kids"?

JUCO kids are used every where to fill needs. I believe SoJo was a JUCO. Now he's in the NBA. Mattis was a JUCO too and he broke USF's record for blocks.

Do we need a change? Absolutely but it starts at the top. We need to spend some money on facility upgrades, recruiting budgets, etc before we expect ANY coach to be successful here.

Are we ready to make that committment? Not sure but I hope it doesn't stunt the growth of our football program.

I have no problem if we decide to bring in a new coach but if we don't make the financial committment to win then we won't regardless of who sits on the bench.