The longer Woolard takes, The less likely...

JoeBulls

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

Now everyone put on the "recruit" hat, why would you want to come play at USF if you know the coach has just one year? Especially if you like RMC.

He's got two left.  You would have to negotiate at least two more, hence the opening ...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeBulls

• Brad

• Joe

• Bull94

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Content Count:  3,416
  • Days Won:  1

Now everyone put on the "recruit" hat, why would you want to come play at USF if you know the coach has just one year? Especially if you like RMC.

He's got two left.  You would have to negotiate at least two more, hence the opening ...

I think we have it bulliever put my plan and your plan together and I bet that is what happens... **** give DW a call, tell him we worked it out!

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Well, Brett will have two immediate options upon the announcement:

McCullum fired - McMurphy:  " I told you so"

McCullum retained - McMurphy:  "USF Not Serious About Basketball"

You are probably right.

If RMC is fired....Brett was the first to spell out why.

[highlight]If RMC is retained...he would be right again as for any coach to have a 10-54 Conf record after 4 years...but STILL isn't fired...no one at USF can say with a straight face that they are serious about USF Hoops[/highlight].

With both smazza and this  [smiley=loser.gif]  echoing their sentiments, you'd think it would get the darksiders to take a step back and re-evaluate their situation.

And with every opposing Big East Head Coach who is in need of conference wins taking your position (please, please, please, Mr. Woolard......don't fire Coach McCullum!!), one would think you guys would re-evaluate YOUR position.

At least we're aligned with people who actually know something about college hoops...  ::)

Hey, you know what?  You're right.

They do know something about college hoops......first and foremost that they want to look as good as they can for as long as they can.  Hence the reason for convincing AD's at schools like USF, Cincy, and Rutgers that they have top-flight head coaches.  

I can almost hear Tom Crean pulling Woolard aside this week in NYC, "You know Doug, I hear Duke is willing to fire Coach K if Coach McCullum will agree to sign a deal.  You had better sign him to a long-term, highly lucrative deal pronto!!"

::) Alrighty then, Triple B......

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Reading these last few posts I just had a thought.  Any possibility that the delay here is that ther is some negotiations going on between Woolard and USF?  Maybe a reworked deal with an extension?  Maybe a separation negotiation?

The biggest hurdle in my mind is how right now is not just necessarily bring Mac back, but the recruiting factor.  What do you do if you keep him with 2 years left?  You need to be ablre to look a recruit square in the eyes and tell him that you will be the coach for all four of his years at the school.

So many factors to consider here.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Reading these last few posts I just had a thought.  Any possibility that the delay here is that ther is some negotiations going on between Woolard and USF? [highlight] Maybe a reworked deal with an extension?[/highlight]  Maybe a separation negotiation?

The biggest hurdle in my mind is how right now is not just necessarily bring Mac back, but the recruiting factor.  What do you do if you keep him with 2 years left?  You need to be ablre to look a recruit square in the eyes and tell him that you will be the coach for all four of his years at the school.

So many factors to consider here.

:nope

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

Come on guys.  An extension with no guarentee or buyout.  After the media got done ripping that apart every recruit in the world would know.

I for one think Macs bad luck is going to change(and if you don't think he has had some bad luck you have not followed him at USF) and next year will be a breakout year for him.

I also think if you don't move to that high profile coach little will change here.

Bottom line - build the dinning hall.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Here's how I feel.

Do I think RMC is a terrible coach? No. Do I think he's a great (or has the potential to be a great Coach)? Probably not. He could be solid.

I don't know if RMC could ever turn it around here. Maybe he can but he hasn't com close yet.

However, I do know this his performance to this date is subpar. There is always "potential." Every school can sit and name guys that are "all-something" and should be a great addition. Thats what many USF fans have done the last 2 years. When we redshirted Buckley, the discussion of how great Mattis was going to be, when it came to KG, Varejo, when it came to Howard, now its Holmes.  

There has to be a point where you say, "Ok. It might be bad luck, it might be the coach, it might be the program, but we need to move on."

I think a lot of it has to do with talent. I just don't think there is enough BE talent on this team. Do I blame the coaching staff? Not fully. There isn't much money, there isn't really a tradition or history, the facilities are average. However, RMC has constantly tried to build this team on transfers and JuCo players. It's hard to develop that talent when you have 2 years with them.

The darksiders need to understand that there is NO quick answer. no coach is coming in and making this team NCAA Tourny caliber (NIT would be hard). There is not magic fix here.

I said last year that RMC deserved one more year to prove to me that he might be able to overcome these problems and make progress. After the ND win I thought there was a possibility, but this team has looked lost and like they are going nowhere. KG's stats were great at Depaul, but we still got smoked.

I feel a change is needed and I really hope that this change doesn't hinge on finaces. If it does, then USF basketball is in serious trouble for years to come.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

Kansas State sure found a quick answer after years of losing.

Texas Tech found a quick answer after years and years of losing.

Texas turned around a perenial sub-par program with the addition of Rick Barnes.

Maryland was in the gutter before the brought in Gary Williams.

I can't think of a single decent coach that was losing in excess of 10 conference games in his fourth year at a program.

i am sure somebody on this board will dig up one or two, but for the most part, nobody is losing 12 and 13 conference games in their fourth season and still holding a job.

The guy has lost 20 straight road conference games.

And YES quick fixes do occur.

Kansas State just won 21 games for the first time in forever.

Texas Tech won like 20 games the year Knight came aboard.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

wollard needs to dump the guy

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

BM is a great reporter and good friend of usf sports