Self Concept Theory (For the MAC supporters)

Guest wildrover

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I'll take some of the blame/credit for this...There is no question that us DarkSider's have helped to unite the Pro-Macer's.

Please, Rueb, don't flatter yourselves. What your constant ******** abut Mac may have done was sway the fence-sitters to the Light.

The sad reality is that they (I won't name names) now want CRM to stay out of spite. They would rather have the program sink deeper into the abyss, than to admit they are wrong.

Again, with the delusions. A lot of the pro Macers have a ton more invested in the hoops program, both emotionally and financially, than you. Just as a lot of the anti-Macers do. All both sides want is for the program to succeed and to say that one side would prefer that the program not improve out of spite for some yahoo message board posters is predictably ridiculous. Grow up.

The justification of 'we shouldn't criticize CRM or the players during the season' is laughable, as you pointed out.

I agree.

I'll end by giving an opinion; which is the reason internet forums exist.

CRM has not displayed an ability to recruit, win big games, win close games, win road games, or win very much at all. While he has beaten 4 top 25 teams in 3yrs, I think the bad losses overshadow the wins; and it is my opinion that he should not be the mens bb coach next season.

Very succintly put.

Trip,

You know the biggest irony of everything is I've found that some of the bigger supporters of Mac, and I should refrain from saying supporters the ones that wouldn't be repulsed if he was granted one more year (like me), more often then not are season ticket holders of hoops.  While many of those 'darksiders' are not.   You'd normally guess the opposite, but I haven't found that to be the case.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Triple B

• Bull94

• Brad

• Bullpride08

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Are you willing to see the football program stagnate if we take away from that in order to fund basketball?

Absolutely.

This is insane. Losing momentum in football would do much more damage to the school's athletic reputation than staying bad-to-mediocre in basketball.

I totally agree. I would rather have a shot at a BCS game and payout every year then a one and done in the NCAAs.

So now we are depending on football to improve our bb program?? That is insane.

Let's pretend for a moment that we don't have a football team.

So, what do we do to turn this bb program around?

obviously if we didn't have a growing football program that needs the money to continue it's path then we would be able to concentrate on basketball. We also would still be in CUSA or some other lowly conference. We were chosen to join the BE on our football potential.

You can't just pretend to not have a football program. Coach K was pissed when the ACC expanded because he knew they were trying to turn a hoops conference into a football conference. That's the cash cow of college sports.

Unfortunately in order to grow a new program most of the funding has to go to football.

Why do you think football schools are starting to compete in basketball? Texas, OU, UF, OSU, etc. Because they bring in loads of money to fund all of their sports programs through football.

First, We need to raise basketball revenues by resetting the donation levels at the arena. Kansas did this several years ago because they started to bleed money. All the best seats were going to all the old donors at ridiculously low donation levels. Their new AD came in and said up your donation or lose your seats. Many did but some didn't. New donors came in to buy the rest. There was no incentive to donate more money when you couldn't get the best seats. They raised tons of new money and now they are financially much better off.

I think only time will allow us to compete financially in basketball. Once our football program is well established and we have been to a couple of BCS games and we have 45,000 season tickets sold.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I understand that students don't invest the money that some alumni do, however we were still charged $11+ a credit hour for the atletics department. That is one of the highest in the country. When I was in school that was an extra $360 a year that I could have used.

They'll also be future investors in the program. They might have not put the time in that some of the older alumni have but if they're on this message board chances are they probably will (I know I plan on it)

As for making football stagnant to have a good BBall program.  Rueb, I hope your not a stock investor...put the money where you'll make the most and spread it out as you get better. Why not build a great football program whose revenue will help build a great basketball program...

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

But here in lies the point of this board...you've got a bunch of kids, and students posting on this board that have never invested a dime, time, or sweat equity into the University.  They don't have a clue, and just demand- like they call the next generation the "Generation of Entitlement".  

We're already bad in basketball, football per dollar provides a greater return on invested capital then hoops....we're so close to the cusp of greatness in football so even a dollar taken from football to put towards hoops is shortsided, and crazy.  Furthermore, anyone to suggest such a thing has not spent 25 years cheering for USF athletics as I have, and seen nothing but USF come up short in virtually every sport- and I mean come up short from the pinnacle.  Football, to me, is the one sport that could get us to that mountain top of respectability, and promise.  I think we're possibly two years away from a New Year's Day BCS bowl....we should put all the time, money, and energy into building every aspect of that program to the top.  Once it gets there it will bring the profile of the entire athletic department with it.

Rueb to suggest otherwise doesn't know USF enough, and hasn't been a fan long enough.

No offense, but I don't read your posts anymore.

I'm guessing it was your normal post in which you brag about how long you've been a fan and how much more you know than everyone else. You can brag all you want, but we know you sniff jock straps s.bien, you're not any more informed than the rest of us 26yr old 'kids' who have only been fans for 9yrs.  

Your pissing down your own leg, it only seems warm to you.

Rueb

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

As for making football stagnant to have a good BBall program.  [highlight]Rueb, I hope your not a stock investor[/highlight]...put the money where you'll make the most and spread it out as you get better. Why not build a great football program whose revenue will help build a great basketball program...

LOL, actually Joe, I manage money for a living. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not calling for USF to start neglecting it's darling football program. I was simply saying that I don't think supporting the fb and bb team at the same time is mutually exclusive.

Rueb

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I understand that students don't invest the money that some alumni do, however we were still charged $11+ a credit hour for the atletics department. That is one of the highest in the country. When I was in school that was an extra $360 a year that I could have used.

They'll also be future investors in the program. They might have not put the time in that some of the older alumni have but if they're on this message board chances are they probably will (I know I plan on it)

As for making football stagnant to have a good BBall program.  Rueb, I hope your not a stock investor...put the money where you'll make the most and spread it out as you get better. Why not build a great football program whose revenue will help build a great basketball program...

Yet Joe, some of us were there, AND now doing the other stuff.  I respect the students and their support, but it's the guys that don't have to do it anymore that I respect more.  

As for the student crack, it gets a bit tiring to read guys on here that demand things, refuse or care to know about USF or the history, their history goes back 5 minutes not 5 years...and then call some of us crazy for having some realism, and foresight in our thinking.

Take Rube for instance, a classic case...doesn't know, doesn't care he's wrapped up in his own personal idealism, and obsessive behavior.  Ignorant as all get up, and doesn't care to listen to others.

Now you're a break from the norm it seems.  You appear to be grounded and appreciative of the program and school's capabilities.  Hard to find these days on this website, or others.  It's like some think because UF fans act like that then so should we.

BTW, I believe the student fees at USF are $7something an hour.  I thought they were that high at UCF.

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not calling for USF to start neglecting it's darling football program. I was simply saying that I don't think supporting the fb and bb team at the same time is mutually exclusive.

There isn't enough money to do both right now. That's the point of this whole debate. You'd have to be crazy not to invest in football right now, if you had to pick between it and basketball. It's much higher reward, and probably lower risk.

By the way, if you want to figure out how a football school rises from the dead in basketball, I would suggest Woolard take a field trip to Texas A&M. They were 0-16 in the Big 12 a few years ago. Now they're a legitimate Final Four threat.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

I don't think Mac will be back, no. I haven't posted very much about it because I don't think this is going to cure the program (at least not right now), and I don't have the energy to get sucked into a shouting match "debate" with people who will do a victory lap about having been right all along.

Arguing with some of the Darksiders is like arguing with someone about abortion. Their heels are so dug in that they will not listen to any argument of any kind.

it better or wollard shouldbe  fired next

there are so many great candidates to choose from that would love to come to a big east school

it aint that hard to recruit when you are in the big east

we should be ablie to out recruit winthrop,south illinois, butler and all other similar great schools

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Please, Rueb, don't flatter yourselves. What your constant ******** abut Mac may have done was sway the fence-sitters to the Light.

You never loved CRM as you love him now. Your welcome.

I've loved him, in a manly type way, ever since he took us to the CUSA semis..

Again, with the delusions. A lot of the pro Macers have a ton more invested in the hoops program, both emotionally and financially, than you.

Why even pretend you have the slightest insight into my emotions or finances?

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. I was basically talking about that from a longevity stand point... Although, you've been quite vocal in the past about witholding donations until Mac is gone.

Very succintly put.

Succinctly.

Sonuvabitch!

So Trip, do you have any opinions that don't involve me? Oh, I forgot, you don't like to think for yourself, you let DW do it for you.

How would I now what DW's thoughts are on schizophrenia?

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503

Raise donation levels like Ku did ?  Too funny.  You can barley get people to buy tickets now.  KU has a winning tradition and sells tickets.  You will really chase away what remaining fan base you have if you try to raise donation levels for seats in an already empty Sun Dome.