Self Concept Theory (For the MAC supporters)

Guest wildrover

Guest wildrover

We've all recently read at least one reporter say that one or two games shouldn't determine MAC's fate either way.  We've even read Mac quoted as saying the same.  Yet all the MAC supporters refuse to step up to the plate and admit they were wrong.  They continue to say "Not till the end of the season"  "I can wait till the end of the season before I evaluate him"  Honestly, do you really believe Woolard's mind isn't made up either way at this point?  What kind of AD would he be if he didn't already have a decision made regarding Mac's future, stay or go?  Yet there are so many fence sitters here who still refuse to evaluate the man's performance with only one game left (e.g. Bulliever's insistence on looking down his nose at Darksiders but not having the the huevos to say whether or not he thinks MAC should stay or go (one more game you know, lets not be rash in our decision making)).  

Seems pretty wishy washy to me, why would there be so many people who insist on "waiting till the end of the season" to say he should stay or get another shot?  I mean really, we've had like 3.999999 seasons completed under MAC's reign, do you really need one more game to figure out if you like him as our coach or not?  If so, lets hope none of you ever get called upon to command our brave men and women in time of war, your inability to make a decision could costs people lives, but I digress

Any psych or marketing major (marketing borrows a lot from psych when investigating consumer psychology) knows about self-concept theory or what we use to define ourselves.  We do it with the things we buy (I am my big house, I am my fast car, I am all the cool things that I have before my neighbor) the people we associate with (I know an important person, therefore I'm important too (Sheriff is the biggest name dropper I've ever seen, why do you think he does that?), I have a babe wife, that must make me cool, My kid is destined for the pros, therefore you should want to know me)  We also do it with our ideas and thoughts (If you disagree with my religion then you disagree with me, if you attack my political views then you also attack me and the most relevant to this conversation, If I admit I'm wrong then I'm admitting that I'm not as good, smart, intelligent etc. etc. as I thought I was)  who wants to admit that?  Surely not me

So here's the rub as I see it.  All the pro MAC people who have been throwing stones all season at the "Darksiders" acting holier than thou or as if they have some sort of enlightened view of USF basketball and anybody that disagrees with their opinion surely doesn't know what they are talking about, are having a hard time admitting they are wrong because they feel as if doing that forces them to admit some sort of flaw in themselves.  

Well guys I'm here to tell you that it's okay.  We are defined more by our actions than by our thoughts (wanting to bang your hot secretary behind your wife's back isn't the same as actually doing it).  Admitting that you we're wrong about MAC and that he needs to go is okay, you don't have to be attached to your thoughts anymore than you have to be attached to your car, fishtank or other material objects.  In other words, its okay to say "You know, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but after this much time, I think he needs to go"  or "I think he's a great coach he deserves an extension"  

But all this "I won't say anything till the end of the season" is starting to sound more and more ridiculous.

$.02    

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Triple B

• Bull94

• Brad

• Bullpride08

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Well, then you have to admit a lot of the Darksiders are doing the same thing with their personas on this board. They take pride, even a sick sense of delight, in being the loudest, most shrill anti-Mac poster they can be. Firing a coach is not good for the program in the short term, whether it needs to be done or not.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

mac will not be bac

Guest wildrover
Well, then you have to admit a lot of the Darksiders are doing the same thing with their personas on this board. They take pride, even a sick sense of delight, in being the loudest, most shrill anti-Mac poster they can be. Firing a coach is not good for the program in the short term, whether it needs to be done or not.

given, its on both sides, some define their "message board self" (if there is such a thing) by being the contrarian (e.g. Smazza).  Some "Darksiders" definitely give the impression that their "let mac go" opinion is fueled more by their resentment of the pro mac types on this board than an objective evaluation of our basketball program.  But by me conceding this, you have to concede that in the face of all the data, there really isn't much to the pro mac stance and the "he's had to deal with a lot of stuff" argument probably stems more from not wanting to admit their wrong (which probably stems from not wanting to give certain darksiders the satisfaction) than an objective evaluation of our basketball program.    

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think Mac will be back, no. I haven't posted very much about it because I don't think this is going to cure the program (at least not right now), and I don't have the energy to get sucked into a shouting match "debate" with people who will do a victory lap about having been right all along.

Arguing with some of the Darksiders is like arguing with someone about abortion. Their heels are so dug in that they will not listen to any argument of any kind.

Guest wildrover

Probably one of the wiser ones here Jamie, these boards can such you in and before you know it, you hate people you've never even Met.  The internet is such a fascinating case study on so many levels  

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Ok, I'll say. I was a Mac suporter up until the loses following the Notre Dame game. I now do not believe that he is the right man for the job.

With that said, I do however believe it is not right to continuously belittle the coach throughout the season. Also, I do not think is right to pass judgement  statements before events are complete. For  example, "Bulls Outcoached Again", while the game is still in progress; or "Mac has averaged 2 conference wins a season after 2 years" with 2 games remaining. It bothers me that some people want to surrender before the battle is over.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

:o

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

Ok, I'll say. I was a Mac suporter up until the loses following the Notre Dame game. I now do not believe that he is the right man for the job.

With that said, I do however believe it is not right to continuously belittle the coach throughout the season. Also, I do not think is right to pass judgement  statements before events are complete. For  example, "Bulls Outcoached Again", while the game is still in progress; or "Mac has averaged 2 conference wins a season after 2 years" with 2 games remaining. It bothers me that some people want to surrender before the battle is over.

I agree with everything outrunner said. Personally, I have said all season(you can look it up, there was a thread kinda making fun of me about this the day of the Wake game) that it does no good, I'd reserve judgement until the end of the season, and that the goal should be to make the Big East tournament. There is one game left, and we will not make the Big East tournament. I'm okay either way, I understand that the buyout is  a large amount, but that would be about the only reason to keep him another year. Again, I was a big supporter of CRM at the end of last season. And I will not become a dark sider and attack every single thing the coach does or says, I just think its time for a change.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

What an interesting thread...

I have my opinion on RMc, and I have often said I will share it at the end of the season.  That seems reasonable.  

You're just way off on the whole "making one's mind up."  Just because you choose not to discuss it during the season (Woolard or a fan) doesn't mean you haven't made up your mind.

To disparage the guy while he is attempting to do his job serves no real purpose.

You spent a lot of time on a theory that probably doesn't apply to 99.9999% of the board membership.  But still it was fun to skim through after the first paragraph.

Hope your major wasn't Psych.