USC info

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

Watch your step: Williams-Brice gets new sod installed

Workers from Precision Turf in Clinton have been installing new sod at Williams-Brice Stadium this week. The new grass is 419-Bermuda and comes from New Life Turf Farms in Norway. USC coaches and opponents complained this past season about the poor quality of the field, which was Tif-Sport grass. USC considered switching to artificial turf but decided to stay with real grass.

77146849648.jpg

Q.

hi i wanna know when was william brice stadium first built?

BABYBOY, COLUMBIA 5/25/04  

A.

Babyboy, You've had a lot of stadium-related questions. Carolina Stadium, as it was then known, was built in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration. Its original seating capacity was 17,600.  

Joe Person 5/25/04  

Q.

Joe, Tom Lemming writes that the Memphis area boasts several top prospects for the upcoming recruiting period. Given the new coaches we have covering that area, do we have anyone currently on our radar?  

mavrk76, Charlotte, NC 5/24/04  

A.

Mav, I have not followed junior recruiting all that closely. But given Ron Cooper's background and his success recruiting Memphis this past year (signing Melrose High teammates Chris Hampton and Antonio Heffner), I'm sure that's a part of the country USC will continue to work.  

Joe Person 5/25/04  

Q.

I have heard that usc will not have its football games replayed the following week this year as they have the past few years.Do you have any information on this?

bluelite, chas,sc 5/14/04  

A.

Blue, Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you. I talked to Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast, the group that has handled the replays the past two years. Their two-year contract is up, although they're hoping to continue working with USC. The problem is that CSS is not carried by Time Warner cable, which serves Columbia. CSS broadcasts can be found throughout much of the rest of the state. But USC officials obviously would like to see the replays shown in Columbia, as well. Here's the thing: There are not many other companies that would be interested in doing football replays (at the cost of about $15,000 a broadcast). The easiest solution for all involved would be for Time Warner to pick up CSS. Stay tuned.  

Joe Person 5/25/04  

Q.

i wanna know what is up with usc fg kickers and r they that bad?......i am concerned about that more than the qb situation......we have to find some good kickers...

BABYBOY, COLUMBIA 5/21/04  

A.

Babyboy, The kickers USC still has on the roster have not done much. Of course, other than spring practice they have not had much chance to prove themselves. Josh Brown was 0-for-2 on field goals and 4-for-4 on PATS last season. Charlie Carpenter was 1-for-2 on PATS and did not attempt a field goal. Holtz believes Brown can be the answer at kicker, although others around the program aren't so sure. I think he'll definitely get the first crack at it.  

Joe Person 5/24/04  

Q.

Thanks, to John in Little Mountain, for the history of the USC football logo. Good work! P.S. joe, you are absolutely correct... USC being a member of the SEC, is the best thing that could ever happen. We're going to have to 'suck it up' and start playing football! Winning is the only way to gain respect in this conference or we will continue to be a laughing stock. USC fans, who are truly the best in college football, deserve better. Go Cocks!

Space Rooster, Corinth,Ms. 5/20/04  

A.

Space, Thanks for writing.  

Joe Person 5/24/04  

Q.

Joe, Being a GC fan I feel that we are not an SEC team. I think we are more on the level of teams like Wofford, COC, Newberry, etc. I love the GC's but I think we will never get the top players to hang with teams in the SEC, ACC, and others. What do you think about that, should we be in a smaller conf?

GC FAN, Columbia SC 5/19/04  

A.

Fan, The move to the SEC was the best thing that could have happened to USC's athletics program. Considering what has happened to many of the non-BCS conferences over the last year or so, USC could have been right there with a lot of those schools -- on the outside looking in at some big money. Now, the reason that CBS and ESPN are willing to shell out those millions is because the SEC is one of the best football conferences in the country. That means just about every week you're facing a quality team. It's not impossible for USC to win consistently in the conference. But it is a tough challenge.  

Joe Person 5/19/04  

Q.

Hey Joe, How could USC lose to a school who just abolished their athletic dept. and combined it with their intramurals ? Would Holtz survive the season with a loss to the "bottom dwellers" or would we just take their place as the the laughing stock of the conference?

Steve, Rock Hill,SC 5/19/04  

A.

Steve, If you'll recall, Vanderbilt played USC close two years ago in Nashville. I can't speculate on what a loss to Vanderbilt would mean to Holtz and the program. I just know that with Georgia coming to Columbia the following week, the Vandy game is huge in terms of confidence and momentum.  

Joe Person 5/19/04  

Q.

Joe, What is the situation at quarterback for the Gamecocks? Why is Coach Holtz not putting Newton in as the signal caller? Newton's better then Pinkins any day!If the Gamecocks want to be serious contenders for the first time in 2 years Newton has to start, or Holtz will be fielding questions about his job and our beloved team will once again be the lame-cocks.

B-DIDDY, DARLINGTON 5/18/04  

A.

B-Did, Judging by Holtz's comments, I think Newton will play. Holtz has raved about the way Newton brings a spark to the offense and finds a way to move the ball. But he has concerns -- legitimate, I think -- about Newton's tendency to turn the ball over. If Newton proves he can improve his ball "security" -- coachspeak -- then I think you can expect to see him on the field more, particularly if Pinkins struggles early on.  

Joe Person 5/19/04  

Q.

Joe, what is your prediction on the Vandy game on September 4th? I know it is early but I figured we could have some fun to make the season get here a little sooner. What is your prediction judging by what you saw at the spring game? I'm going to say Cocks 24 Dores 21. This game has the potential to get ugly if Pinkins plays like he did during the spring game.

hurryupsept4th, Cola 5/18/04  

A.

Hurry, This is not a typical Vanderbilt team. At every position, Bobby Johnson has a player that started at least three games in 2003. I know that the USC coaches are taking this game very seriously, realizing that it could be pivotal if the Gamecocks hope to turn things around. Your score sounds about right, with a field goal winning it for either side. I would expect Holtz to try to dictate the pace and establish a ground game. If successful, that would likely keep the score down.  

Joe Person 5/18/04  

Q.

Did Susan Walvius sign any players during the spring signing period? If so, who, a little about them?

william 5/16/04  

A.

William, I've had several questions over the last few weeks concerning the women's basketball team's spring signees. USC traditionally waits until after the spring signing period to release its list of signees. So it should be any day now.  

Joe Person 5/17/04  

Q.

I WANNA KNOW WHEN THE WEIGHT ROOM WILL BE BUILT ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE STADIUM?

BABYBOY, COLUMBIA,SC 5/15/04  

A.

Babyboy, Construction has already begun, with the $3 million project expected to be completed by mid-October.  

Joe Person 5/17/04  

Q.

RE: USC football logo. Paul Dietzel first put the Gamecock on the USC hats. It is the same gamecock that Jacksonville State has used for many years but Dietzel put a banner in the talons which reads leadership-scholarship. When Jim Carlen came to USC, he added the block C around the gamecock. Morrison changed the colors of the hats to Garnet and put the logo in a white circle and of course Lou has gone back to the white hats.

John Feaster, Little Mountain SC 5/17/04  

A.

Thanks, John.  

Joe Person 5/17/04  

Q.

i was wandering , why hasn't the gamecock forum been working for so long? clemson has theres but ours has been down for a very long time thanks

Anonymous, columbia, sc 5/15/04  

A.

Anon., I don't know anything about the forum being down. As far as I know, it's been up and running. I went a couple days without getting a chance to answer any questions. Maybe that's what you're referring to.  

Joe Person 5/17/04  

Q.

Joe, the current USC logo, the Block C with the Flying Gamecock inside of it... who gets credit for the design?

Space Rooster, Corinth, Ms. 5/13/04  

A.

Space, I don't know. If any reader has information and wants to share it on this topic, feel free.  

Joe Person 5/14/04  

Q.

What is going on with NCAA investigators talking to our football players? Please don't say Derek Watson... I am asking about new and current player?

Roland, Columbia 5/13/04  

A.

Roland, Last spring the NCAA talked to several USC players that had just completed their eligibility. Investigators also have talked to Clemson players that were recruited by USC. And as you mentioned, NCAA also has talked to former players like Watson.  

Joe Person 5/14/04  

Q.

Any idea what Kelly Morrone is dong now? How about Christina Ciocan now that she has been waived by Charlotte? Will all of the eligible players be back next year? All of the staff?  

Carley 5/11/04  

A.

Carley, I'm not sure what Kelly or Cristina are doing. At a Gamecock Club meeting last week, Susan Walvius said she expects the players who were ineligible this year (Melanie Johnson, Angela Hunter) to be available next season. I've not heard about any staff movement.  

Joe Person 5/11/04  

Q.

Joe, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sidney Rice going to play both football and basketball for USC? Also, who is considered USC's top NFL prospect for this upcoming season?

rufusrjones, Irmo 5/11/04  

A.

Rufus, You're right about Rice. As long as he has in grades in order, Holtz has given him the go-ahead to play basketball. I'd say both the defensive ends George Gause and Moe Thompson are among USC's top prospects. Of course, Thompson is a junior.  

Joe Person 5/11/04  

Q.

When was the last time USC visted Blackville-Hilda ? Are they looking at Tharry Salley Fullback ?

need to know , blackville , SC 5/10/04  

A.

Need to know, According to rivals.com, Salley is getting "medium" interest from USC, Clemson, Georgia and Maryland.  

Joe Person 5/11/04  

Q.

Well is there any news on when they plan to build onto the south endzone?? any new news?

hunter, columbia sc 5/10/04  

A.

Hunter, Either I'm confused or you have your directions mixed up. The south end zone project, which is the new weight room and training center, is underway and slated for a mid-October finish date. There has been talk about a north end zone project, adding a second deck essentially, but that has been put on hold until the new baseball stadium deal is finalized.  

Joe Person 5/11/04  

Q.

Hi Joe...sorry to ask a baseball question but Steve hasn't been answering questions lately. Is there a Ray Tanner Show? I heard it mentioned on a live broadcast but can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks. Andy

Andy, Isle of Palms, Sc 5/10/04  

A.

Andy, I don't think there is a Ray Tanner Show per se, but he does make weekly radio spots on most of Columbia's sports talk shows.  

Q.

do you think USC will underestimate the south florida bulls?

steve mazza, los angeles,ca 5/09/04  

A.

Steve, Not the way Lou Holtz builds up an opponent. He mentioned how dangerous So. Florida is at a Gamecock Club meeting last week.  

Joe Person 5/10/04  

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

the players won't buy it, they will not take us seriously

the legend

a-holtzwatchingark.jpg