HELP ME! Need professional opinions ASAP by 10 AM!

The Sheriff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Is it being greedy asking for a higher salary at this point from what they offered. Best case, they agree... worst case, they rescind their offer. But either way... I was going to accept the other company's offer. It's a significant raise either way... and I have not burned any bridges on either side.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Sheriff

• USFDan

• WoolyBully

• Apis Bull

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

It's 10:01, but I'd say dont get too greedy and screw up a good thing. If you keep working hard that money will come to you before too long.

Guest BasketBull.

Also, stay. The grass is always greener elsewhere, but it might not be so green once you get there.

Instant partnership is a scary concept.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  518

I personally don't like working for someone else.  I do because I have to, for now at least.  My wife worked for someone else and made them a lot of money.  We asked ourselves, why are we making someone else rich?  She left and started her own firm and has tripled her salary working only working part-time (Had a baby last year).  She is now working it full time, and I am about to leave my job to join her.  Your current job is similar.  If you can go out and get the business, why share the profit?  Your still young and are not tied down yet.  No wife, no kids. Take a chance.  Don't have any regrets.  If it doesn't work out, I'm positive another company would love to have you.  What do you have to lose?

Where would Bill Gates, Donald Trump, etc. be of they didn't take chances and start their own company?  I used to work for a guy in Tampa who started his own appraisal company.  He made alot of money, invested wisely, and now spends his days working deals on the golf course trying to figure out to spend his $50M plus.

You just have to decide if you are a risk taker or not.  You can make a good living working for someone else but you don't get wealthy working for someone.

What I read on this board from you, you seem like a risk taker, who has what it takes to be successful.  Good Luck!  

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

1: 45 minutes until the phone call...

USFDAN... you're saying the same thing I was thinking until their ridiculous offer came over. Why wasn't this offered to me earlier is my only hold-up!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Why wasn't this offered to me earlier is my only hold-up!

That one's easy.  In business you only pay what you have to.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

It wasn't offered earlier because no one spends one dime they don't have to.

They don't want to lose another asset, and this ($) is their way of saying,

that if this is what it costs to keep the asset, then that's the cost.

Thing is, generally speaking, you have to change jobs to really bump the salary.

Once you're stationary, you get what "The Man" gives.

Apparently, in this case, "The Man" is willing to deal. As for being "greedy",

$25K at this point may not be the deal breaker you think it is. And if they say

no, well....they lose the asset and have to live with it.

Again, the proverbial ball is entirely in your court.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  518

If I had to do something drastic to get a raise, then that company definitely isn't looking out for me.  What about next time you deserve a raise?  No one is going to look out for you, but you.  

Sheriff...

I would say take the offer from your current employer.  The new company can't get that upset when you get such an unexpected offer -- and if they do, then they are not handling it in a professional manner.  They still have a month to find someone and have them in place by April 1st.

If you ask about a salary bump, make it a requirement when you move to the new office.  If you are running an office, that means additional responsibility, and that should include additional compensation.

JMHO

Whatever you decide to do. Good luck, and congratulations on being in a position like this.