5 best things and grade the year for USF sports

Guest BasketBull.

Guest S.  Bien
3.5    AD hire neutral

That's nuts...you may not have preferred the choice, but USF landed an Athletic Director from a mid-major 1-A program that had 10 years of AD experience, and it was only inevitable that if we didn't grab him someone else would very soon.  The guy has navigated SLU through three conference shake-ups, he was a catalyst to the forming, and developing of C-USA, and many, many AD's across the nation consider him one of the better AD's in the ranks.  He has tons of friends in the NCAA ranks, and has extensive experience running an urban University that competes with numerous pro franchise.

He's very affable, yet not he's focused and goal orientated.  This University will do a lot with his vision and leadership.  Again, you may not like the choice, but Doug Woolard is the most qualified, talented guy we've ever had at this position, and I love LRS, but he'd be the first to tell you that he was a work in progress at times.  This hiring was definitely a very big positive, with potential to be a homerun.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677
  • Days Won:  0

I would rate your year a solid 4... bb and baseball season bad... football pretty good.... BE huge...

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Basketball sucked... baseball underachieved. Softball performed way better than expected... excellent. Football... missed the bowl game... but I always have unrealistic expectations. Call it above average. Women's hoops... average at most. We went to an NIT game... but heck, we ended up with a losing record and my expectations have been higher after the suspect consecutive top 40 classes we have brought in. The Big East... that was huge! The AD... below average this year... only time will tell next season...  the new guy has experience and we won't have foul ups when it comes to number of wins needed to get a bowl game. Track and Field, men's tennis... above average. Women's tennis, below average... expecting more from our tennis legend. Only time will tell if Gigi can get the top talent. Men's and women's soccer... average with need for improvement. Men's soccer is two steps from being a huge player on the national scene. I expect to see a Final Four appearance in the next two years. And this AD is definitely a soccer guy! Sailing... great again!

Athletic Facility... huge! Arrest rapports... downer...

And the score is... I come out about 4.5 because the negatives can happen to any program from year to year... but the facility and Big East carry the scoring more than anyone can imagine.

If football lost every game and yet we won a National Championship in hoops, softball, and made the NCAA tourney in every other sport... we'd still have a high score... the different sports can only carry so much weight.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

UCF's 9 conference chps. are meaningless to me.  The only thing about them is that they get them in some NCAA's.  No respect is due when they play in a marginal conference.  We would have had that many also with our teams.  Keep in mind that our baseball team was 2-1 (I believe) against them.  That was one of their conf. chps. I do believe.  Football wasn't one of the conf. chps. either (unless you're counting from the bottom).  I believe they did take us in v-ball and maybe the tennis teams which were inconsistent.  Ã‚ Face it, UCF... At Sun really sucks... you have pretty good ath programs but it's tough to gauge how you would do in a real conference.  Better luck with the step up to (although dilluted) CUSA.  It will at least put you in a conf with a few respected schools in various sports.  Now pipe down or rejoice about your conf chps on your own board.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

Guest BasketBull.

Steve, 1.5?  Are you kidding me?

Getting into the Big East is at least a 4 by itself.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

sorry

i am rating the athletic dept on performance

getting into big east was good but factors little into my evaluation of the success of all our sports

we finished last in the cup rankings in the state

that is shameful

4.5 out of 5????????????????????????????

hey, you thought seth greenberg was agood coach