• Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,308
  • Days Won:  490

mainLogo.gif

Countdown to kickoff

ECU faces USF in PapaJohns.com Bowl today

By Nathan Summers

Saturday, December 23, 2006

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — There was still plenty of talk about pizza going on Friday at the official press conference for today's PapaJohns.com Bowl between East Carolina and South Florida, but there was also plenty of anxious talk about both teams' final football game of the season.

Today's game at Legion Field, for senior players on both sides, marks the end of a journey against the odds. ECU's 22 seniors know saying goodbye after today won't be easy, but they do know playing in a bowl game is the only way they'd like to close their careers.

At the same time, the Pirates (7-5) have the taste of winning in their mouths for the first time since long before the current players were the current players.

For that reason, it was hard for some of those seniors to say Friday that anything other than a win today would make the fulfillment complete on their way out the door.

"One word that kind of sums us up this season, this senior class, is stingy," said senior cornerback Kasey Ross. "We made it to the PapaJohns.com Bowl, but we want to put the icing on the cake and come on and win this thing."

Despite being an underdog since USF (8-4) was announced as the Pirates' opponent three weeks ago, senior players feel an 8-5 season would be justice for the four consecutive losing seasons that characterized their careers previously.

Not ever wanting to speculate about his own football future, quarterback James Pinkney simply said he couldn't stop thinking about beating the Bulls long enough to consider what his chances are to make it as a professional.

"I think it's very important to the team and the program, not just to get here but to win it and get the program started back on the right foot again," said Pinkney, who actually does have a college game left to play when he suits up for the All-American Classic College All-Star game in Las Vegas.

Both Ross and Pinkney, along with fellow seniors such as wide receiver Aundrae Allison, have serious hopes of playing professionally in the National Football League.

For Ross, though, today's game is an important audition for a player who feels a bit overlooked in terms of attention from scouts.

"For me, we've got seniors that got all-conference accolades and things like that, and I kind of feel like I'm on the outside looking in after having a pretty decent season (46 tackles, 4 interceptions, 7 pass breakups)," said Ross. "This is another shot that I've got to give all I've got and hopefully open some eyes out there, to show that I'm another great talent that's kind of getting overlooked."

Perhaps that lack of attention will change as the Pirates continue to inch their way back into the NCAA spotlight.

Regardless of a win or a loss, today's seniors will ride out of town with the only winning record of their college careers. But even a win might not make it easy for a tight-knit group of players to bid each other farewell later today.

"We've been talking about it on this trip, and it really hits you now — this is our last couple of days we could be spending with each other," said Ross.

"We're not going to take it for granted this time. Getting a win here will help us, even nine or 10 years down the road. We can say we won the first Papa John's Bowl."

According to Pinkney, the scouts and the media will help determine his legacy at East Carolina. His team and his teammates, he said, are most important to him right now.

"You really don't think about it until it's over," said Pinkney who will tote 2,678 passing yards and 11 touchdown throws onto the field today. "It's tough to keep your emotions in check but it's something you've got to do. If you want to to win on Saturday, you've got to be focused."

The game kicks off at 1 p.m. and will be televised nationally by ESPN2.

Story Link